Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
AZRider,

That was brave....

Actually probikekit has Veloflex on big sale right now, and if you buy 4 you get an additional 10% off...

Just ordered 6 roubaix's for $360 including shipping...

It is a really tough tire to beat at $60 a piece...

Stephen
Stephen- I like ProBikeKit, (can be) good prices and stuff arrives quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Continental tubulars. I have heard they are pain to install.

Seriously considering getting the Vittorias. Price doesn't matter too much as long as its a reliable tire. Obviously won't go for the top tier when I'm just starting on this journey in tubs. Again, thanks to all that gave relevant advice.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:46 PM

Veloflex are nice

I mounted a Veloflex Criterium on a front wheel a decade ago and it still has some tread left but the names are fading. It's a sweet tire. The rear lasted about 4 years. I've tried Conti sprinter, various Tufo's, Vittoria Corsa and Roubaix and recently Michelin Pro, which suck because the sidewall is separating from the tread. Sprinters and Tufos are industrial and durable. Tufos have no inner tube and the sealant works well. When I lived in UT, goathead thorns hated me and I flatted a lot so I went with cheaper tires back then.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
Stephen- I like ProBikeKit, (can be) good prices and stuff arrives quickly.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Continental tubulars. I have heard they are pain to install.

Seriously considering getting the Vittorias. Price doesn't matter too much as long as its a reliable tire. Obviously won't go for the top tier when I'm just starting on this journey in tubs. Again, thanks to all that gave relevant advice.
Continentals are a nightmare to install.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:23 PM

As a recent convert to tubulars, I'd second vittoria elites as great, reliable tires that are easy to install.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Veloflex. Choose your model based on width and sidewall color desired, and you can't go wrong. The king of tubulars.
This is my answer as well. I've been using Veloflex and before that the original Italian Vittoria (what became Veloflex) since the 1980s. They cannot be beaten for ride quality, and in my experience, durability and reliability.

They are, quite simply, the best product of its type available in my opinion.

That said, I'm going to say something that will make all tubular lovers cringe - wide clincher rims (20+mm internal) and 23mm clinchers pumped to about 75-80 PSI are close enough to the tubular ride and handling quality that I no longer pick a bike based on tire preference. They're very nearly equal. That is my personal experience.

But if you're going to go tubular, go Veloflex and certainly no "lower" than Vittoria, which are also nice but I've had much less reliability with the Thailand-manufactured Vittoria over the years than I have with Veloflex. I don't know why, but that again is my personal experience. I've ridden many a Veloflex down to the threads but Vittorias I've owned seem to flat for some mysterious reason long before they're worn out. Often I don't find a puncture. They just won't hold air.

Last edited by saab2000; 10-17-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote from saab2000:

That said, I'm going to say something that will make all tubular lovers cringe - wide clincher rims (20+mm internal) and 23mm clinchers pumped to about 75-80 PSI are close enough to the tubular ride and handling quality that I no longer pick a bike based on tire preference. They're very nearly equal. That is my personal experience.

saab2000- That is interesting you mention that. Summer of '16 I purchased a barely used set of HED Ardennes Black. They are 25mm wide clincher rims and I'm using 23mm GP4K2S at 65-70 psi. Best ride quality of all my wheels right now. Back to Veloflex... 8 years ago I did ride for a weekend a carbon wheelset with Veloflex tubulars and all I remember of that experience was of how smooth the ride was. Don't know if it was the tubs or Veloflex, or both. Either way, thanks for the comparison.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:18 AM

@saab2000 - Of course, if you have tubular rims, clinchers probably won't be an option.

@sipmeister - You didn't mention it, but if you're planning to mount tubulars on a vintage bike, from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, you probably want tires with tan sidewalls. All black tires just don't look right.

Nobody mentioned Vittoria Rally. I have some in 25mm width on my Redcay. They are actually pretty nice, especially considering they were snot $20 each. Even if they weren't, they would make good spares.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 07:48 AM

Another vote for Corsa Elites. Best bang for the buck tubular out there by far. They ride really nice, and I've had no durability issues.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
any difference between a 25mm Vittoria Elite and 25mm Veloflex is teeny(if a real difference exists at all)...imho<<<—-

I sure can’t tell.....
my answer to this is basically this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

But if you're going to go tubular, go Veloflex...
OP you say Elite vs Veloflex is so close, it's not worth it. for me, the ride between clinchers with wide internal rims and low psi tires versus similarly low psi tubs is so close, it's not worth it. and the difference that's there, I attribute mainly to handmade tires with latex tubes for the tubulars, versus butyl tubes for the clinchers (which is why I say I'd choose Veloflex over the Elites).

anyway, NOT trying to fuel a tubs versus clinchers debate. tubs are great. just saying if you're gonna do it and you want that sublime ride quality, go all the way.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:46 AM

I think part of going all the way is using light carbon wheels. My justification for staying with tubulars.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

Veloflex.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etu View Post
I think part of going all the way is using light carbon wheels. My justification for staying with tubulars.
I agree with this. There is substantial weight savings to be had with carbon tubulars and quality tubular tires. They're stiff too.

I have some ENVE 45 tubulars and they're crazy light and stiff. Veloflex shod of course.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Veloflex. Choose your model based on width and sidewall color desired, and you can't go wrong. The king of tubulars.
^This. It's all I ride.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:05 PM

Corsa Elite, for 30 bucks you get a tire that equals the Conti Competition in flat resistance and almost the same rolling resistance as the Corsa G+

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...rsa-elite-2017
Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM

Id go with contis if i were you. They offer the best puncture resistance and lifespan imo. Dont buy giro (their budget model) as its no good but sprinters are pretty neat for the money imo. Competitions are even nicer but not worth the extra cash.

Another rather nice tire is the schwalbe one that can be had pretty cheap at times.

That said i mostly ride vittoria