Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I've been hit in the head a few times so bear (or is that bare? ) with me...

I came in in 04 and it was the Serotta Forum at that point but not under control of Serotta. Then Ben and company took it over for a while and I believe (as I remember it) he or someone in the company decided that the other builder's contributing here should pony up some $$ for the exposure they were getting on the "Serotta forum". Pretty sure that's what spurred the split. Then later the forum was spun off as Ben and Co were having financial issues and some concerned members took it over and changed it to The Paceline Forum.

That leaves us where we are today.

William
Yes, you are 100% correct. But, I would be remiss in not pointing out that if it wasn’t for Pete and his relationship with Ben, the Paceline might not even exist today. Not 100% sure exactly what transpired, but I know Ben never really put a lot of time or energy into his forum beyond paying to keep the doors open and a couple of postings here and there.

When things started to go south for him, I imagine the forum became just a burden, so...

Pete let the moderators at the time run things. We changed the name, figured out some financial ins and outs and some legal stuff. I left a bit after all that happened as life ( and it’s many foibles ) took a turn for me.

Since then, this forum has flourished under the guidance of some great people. I am proud to say that I was a part of the beginnings of The Paceline.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I believe it actually was called “The Serotta Owners Forum” in it’s iteration after Kahuna’s original forum.

It dropped the “Owners” as more people who were not Owners joined in.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I only go back to 2002, when it was the Kahuna/Serotta Forum. Before that, I don't know.

As I remember it, Kahuna had several forums for his own interests and did all the work to keep it going, much like Keith does today. The Serotta part of the forum ended up being very popular, partly because of the dedication of Serotta customers and partly because of a general group of knowledgeable participants on all things cycling. Many people, like me, came to learn about Serottas and stayed because of the general knowledge and community.

After a time it became big, and somewhere along the line, I don't remember exactly when, the Serotta company took control of the board, became the sponsor, and took over the hosting and moderating from Kahuna. Then later, as Serotta started to struggle, it was spun off as independent again, changed the name, a group of participants became the moderators, and it became what you see today.

For those of us who have been around since the Kahuna days, there have been a lot of ups and downs. We have had internal spats, had temporary shut downs, have had a major group split off and form a new forum when they didn't like the vibe here, and eventually settled to a steady state we have now. Aware of causes and effect, the current group of moderators work hard to maintain a steady community the reflects the best of what we have been since the Kahuna days.
^ This.

Kahuna's forum was called "The Bicycle Fan Club", and was the direct ancestor of this forum, as Bradford described.

The civilized tone and high level of knowledge was exactly the same then as it is now. It's the one thing that has never changed.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:01 PM

Thumbs up

Well as a pretty new member who doesn't get on often, I am grateful for the work the moderators do. In the year I've been on the forum, albeit casually, I really appreciate the overarching tone and general respect members have for each other. It's pretty remarkable. I've been on other forums (bike related and otherwise) and this is by far the most civil. That's not easy, so kudos to everyone who makes this place great. I'm a humble beneficiary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I only go back to 2002, when it was the Kahuna/Serotta Forum. Before that, I don't know.

As I remember it, Kahuna had several forums for his own interests and did all the work to keep it going, much like Keith does today. The Serotta part of the forum ended up being very popular, partly because of the dedication of Serotta customers and partly because of a general group of knowledgeable participants on all things cycling. Many people, like me, came to learn about Serottas and stayed because of the general knowledge and community.

After a time it became big, and somewhere along the line, I don't remember exactly when, the Serotta company took control of the board, became the sponsor, and took over the hosting and moderating from Kahuna. Then later, as Serotta started to struggle, it was spun off as independent again, changed the name, a group of participants became the moderators, and it became what you see today.

For those of us who have been around since the Kahuna days, there have been a lot of ups and downs. We have had internal spats, had temporary shut downs, have had a major group split off and form a new forum when they didn't like the vibe here, and eventually settled to a steady state we have now. Aware of causes and effect, the current group of moderators work hard to maintain a steady community the reflects the best of what we have been since the Kahuna days.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.
OK. Go give us a definitive timeline and then don't tell us where the Paceline mods fit in. Are they with the big and fat dinosaurs, or with Charles in Di's clothes? Or are they closet Arabs with Mercedes? Curious minds want to know.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

With some “revisions” over time we mods were recruited by Pete to help run the Serotta Forum as Ben’s interest waned and he did not want to pay an employee to manage it.

When he decided he was done with it all together Pete and BBDave managed to convince him to “give” it to the moderators.

We have “owned” it ever since.

Or something like that......

BK

Last edited by Bruce K; 10-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:57 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
With some “revisions” over time we miss were recruited by Pete to help run the Serotta Forum as Ben’s interest waned and he did not want to pay an employee to manage it.
Pete also had me do some modding and backroom work along the way. A little known fact. Good guy, Pete.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Must have been right after Pete took over from Kahuna because you weren’t around when Pete recruited the rest of us.

As I said, there have been a bunch of comings and going over the years.

BK

Old 10-18-2017, 04:33 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Must have been right after Pete took over from Kahuna because you weren’t around when Pete recruited the rest of us.

As I said, there have been a bunch of comings and going over the years.

BK
It was about a 2 year run.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

So before the “Peacock Groove” stuff and while it was still Serotta Forum?

BK

Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
So before the “Peacock Groove” stuff and while it was still Serotta Forum?

BK
And after.
Trying times indeed.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
It was about a 2 year run.
What years were those (approximately)? Thanks!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Administrator

William
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Had never seen an online forum before that. Got my Legend Ti from a member in 2002.
Remembering names like Kahuna, Bigmac, chunk666, etc. Ha ha ha, so long ago.
Chunk666, damn that name brings back memories, may have been the 1st post i read on the old forum.