Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Serotta and Boeing User

Recommendation wanted: corrosion on parts

All,

About a year and a half ago my wife and me were traveling from FL in one of the worst freezing rain/ice events on I95 to NJ. We spent from Fayetteville NC till PA in freezing rain and treated roads with the bikes exposed with some places on them with 2" of ice hardened on them. I spent the next day cleaning them up but could not completely disassemble. Over the next year I did not see any corrosion on them but since I have been gone to Germany and have not ridden mine things have changed.

I am getting corrosion on the rd adj screws, all cable binders, rear wheel nipples, and other bits and pieces where I did not have it before. My bike is all campy but my wife's is Shimano and is not showing any issues even being a steel frame and clean as well.

What I am worried about is it continuing and affecting the carbon frame at locations where the brakes/cables/components mount.

I do not have the tools here in the states for the tear down as they are in Germany with my other bikes. Would it be recommended a complete tear down and build up from my shop in northern NJ? Or just apply the protectant and do it myself when back in about 6mo? Again most of the corrosion is on bolts/screws not on the parts themselves...but I am unsure as to the effects of corrosion in contact with the carbon frame and the chance at delamination. Further I am worried about the rear wheel and the corrosion on the nipples and freezing the spokes...the one I tried rotated together but I just put lube on them and I think it had not penetrated yet.

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeeds71 View Post
I am unsure as to the effects of corrosion in contact with the carbon frame and the chance at delamination.
I've never had a CF frame with a bunch of rusty components on it, but I doubt that could have any significant effect on a composite frame.

Last edited by Louis; 08-29-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
I think worrying about delamination is a stretch, and I think that the nuts/bolts can wait six months. I wouldn't assume that there is any additional damage that you can't see that can't be dealt with in six months.

I've swapped out loads of rusty and neglected parts and I've yet to discover anything that wasn't just superficial damage (ignoring the components that were clearly and without a doubt shot). Cheap screws/nuts are sort of the weak link, but still superficial.

Hit the rusted bits up with some Naval Jelly.

Last edited by GeorgeTSquirrel; 08-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:06 AM
Serotta and Boeing User

My experience with aircraft components and structures has shown me that carbon composites can be jeopardized by corrosion allowing moisture to permeate the layup resulting in delam. Just do not now have experience with bike frames and if the same can happen. Hence to question to see if anyone had experienced it.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
Quote:
My experience with aircraft components and structures has shown me that carbon composites can be jeopardized by corrosion allowing moisture to permeate the layup resulting in delam. Just do not now have experience with bike frames and if the same can happen. Hence to question to see if anyone had experienced it.
You could always take off what you can, without special tools, and look for any additional moisture/corrosion as a sort of spot-check. I don't think you'd find anything, but if you did, you'd have your answer regarding a complete teardown and rebuild.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
My experience with aircraft components and structures has shown me that carbon composites can be jeopardized by corrosion allowing moisture to permeate the layup resulting in delam.
But the original event was over a year ago, and long since dried up. That isn't an issue here.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:34 PM

pick up some basic metric hex keys and screwdriver bits, pull the offending bits and soak them for 2-3 days in a product called evaporust. rinse and dry. treat with T9 boeshield and reinstall (grease where appropriate). hit the spoke nipples with tri-flow or T9.

i'd pull that crank and bottom bracket, too. road spray tends to find its way down seat tubes.

at some point soon, i'd break the entire bike down and service, primarily based on the exposure to road salt.

Last edited by lonoeightysix; 08-30-2014 at 08:37 PM.