Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Getting ready to purchase my first Rapha jersey.

They are doing a limited run "Davis Phinney" long sleeve jersey modeled after the Hell of the West leaders jersey with a portion of sales going to the Davis Phinney Foundation.

Any help with sizing tips would be appreciated

BK
I saw that on Pez and though I'd PM you about it. I find their sizing is pretty true to other brands - so I'm XXL in Castelli, Capo, and Rapha. The Rapha Pro Race line (which the Phinney items aren't a part) run a size smaller, however. Glad to see a portion of the proceeds go to DPP.

Smashburger is in town, and they are selling DPP bracelets (well, at least during the USPro race). PM me if you want one, Bruce.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I tend to agree.

I ordered their classic bibs earlier this year with a 20% discount from doing their survey, though have yet to wear them.

They arrived in a plastic bag.

Even for the sale price, I think it is reasonable to expect a nicely done box. What would that add to the total cost? $1?
Just for info, ordered Assos bibs, they also came in a plastic bag, from Switzerland.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Just for info, ordered Assos bibs, they also came in a plastic bag, from Switzerland.
My Mother sends loads of clothes for my daughters from England in plastic bags. Next time I've got her on skype I'm going to have some firm words about her choice of shipping container.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM
v a n i l l a

i've gotten things in boxes that were crushed and barely sealed shut. items inside ok.

i've gotten things in bags that looked like they were dragged through mud yet the items in side were unscathed.

the boxes I can reuse and recycle

the bags I can reuse and recycle

no difference to me.

it is a little bit anxious to imagine $500+ of cycling clothing in a flimsy bag ... just note the bag or the carrier has no idea the value inside.

as for the rapha sale to me it shows they could improve their forecast/inventory mgt system. While I love scoring pieces (that I did not know I needed) on the blowout tail of a sale, it galls me to think that some pieces I bought not even six months ago are now half off. I could live with 15-25% off, but half? then add the summersale10 code for another 10% to push the knife in further.

best deal? the sky pro team jersey/bib for ~$200. 60% off for some excellent kit. the transfer pieces too - think stylish patagonia nano-puff

Last edited by pdmtong; 08-29-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I have purchased 2 items from Assos this year and both came in boxes. The last, being a set of bibs, came in a really nice box with chamois cream, detergent, wash bag, a mint, and a scented candle that smelled like desert sandalwood. When I opened the box, a butterfly flew out. It was a lovely experience. I will purchase from them again just for the packaging.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I have purchased 2 items from Assos this year and both came in boxes. The last, being a set of bibs, came in a really nice box with chamois cream, detergent, wash bag, a mint, and a scented candle that smelled like desert sandalwood. When I opened the box, a butterfly flew out. It was a lovely experience. I will purchase from them again just for the packaging.
I got a butterfly but it was squished and somebody ate the mint.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I got a butterfly but it was squished and somebody ate the mint.
I've heard Rapha shipping is so quick that you often get a caterpillar rather than a butterfly.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
I've heard Rapha shipping is so quick that you often get a caterpillar rather than a butterfly.
That wasn't a caterpillar but an "ironic" mustache that the Rapha sales help all wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaatxnumiaaaaaawjw1a.jpg (9.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 08-29-2014, 04:59 PM

I've once gotten an item with damage from Rapha (torn seam). I emailed customer service, and they sent out a replacement that day. They told me to send back the damaged one after I got the new one in case I wanted to wear it. We can argue forever about their products and advertising, but their service is second to none.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
their service is second to none.
That's why I've been buying all my stuff from None Inc - way better than Rapha.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM

I am curious why you are "off to am unpleasant start" when it seems that Rapha acted immediately to solve your issue.

Of course a thread title like "I am very impressed with Rapha customer service" wouldn't get half as many views.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

as for the rapha sale to me it shows they could improve their forecast/inventory mgt system. While I love scoring pieces (that I did not know I needed) on the blowout tail of a sale, it galls me to think that some pieces I bought not even six months ago are now half off. I could live with 15-25% off, but half? then add the summersale10 code for another 10% to push the knife in further.
But that's just the market in action, so why would you be galled? If you buy early, you're (virtually) guaranteed to get what you want but you'll probably pay more for it, or you can wait in the hope that it might be cheaper when they try and clear it, but you run the risk that the item you want might not be available any more.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM

ill bet you those 1cm cuts are from whoever is opening the bulk boxes with a boxcutter when the shipment gets to rapha's distribution facility..
Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 PM
caffeine fueled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Just got off the phone with them: no problems, replacement will go out this PM.
Feedback about the flimsy bag vs. sturdy box taken and appreciated (whatever that means).
That's cool. I ordered recently and was a bit surprised that the receipt had better protection that my clothing items...
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
But that's just the market in action, so why would you be galled? If you buy early, you're (virtually) guaranteed to get what you want but you'll probably pay more for it, or you can wait in the hope that it might be cheaper when they try and clear it, but you run the risk that the item you want might not be available any more.
of course...that happens all the time. but 50% off? if that becomes a habitual practice you can be sure I will shift the whole of my buying to the wait and perhaps buy later camp. if only 10-25% off that'd be less an issue since I also presumably used the item prior to the markdown period.