Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 09:58 AM

Off to an unpleasant start with Rapha

OK, so with the current sale, I finally decided to give Rapha a try.
Ordered 2 jerseys which were delivered promptly in a flimsy black plastic bag.
Based on previous lessons learned with clothes delivered in bags, I did not use scissors but rather tore the top of the bag apart.

Both jerseys are awesome but one of them has 2 ~1cm cuts, one in the front and the other in the back, right next to the seam where the jersey was folded.
After looking closer, I found the same size cut in the outer shipping bag and the bag of the jersey.
Apparently the bag was thrown onto some sharp edge during processing which cut through the bags and the jersey.

I will give Rapha a call when they open and don't anticipate any issues returning it but it still sucks because I am sure the first thought they'll have is that I cut it when opening the friggin' bag.
It's beyond me why such high $$$ stuff can't be shipped in the appropriate box (assuming that they use the same bags for regular, non-sale stuff as well).
Especially since they charged $10 for shipping.
Way to go Kings of Pain!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
tailgunning

···· happens,

i think the mark of a good company is how they handle the situation when that stuff happens. my only transactions with them have been great, maybe they'll even make good on the situation
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM
Classics Fan

I tend to agree.

I ordered their classic bibs earlier this year with a 20% discount from doing their survey, though have yet to wear them.

They arrived in a plastic bag.

Even for the sale price, I think it is reasonable to expect a nicely done box. What would that add to the total cost? $1?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Imshi Cycles

its a bummer for sure but the responsibility for getting the product to you safely falls on them...if its damaged in shipping due to inadequate packaging, they should (and likely will) promptly replace the gear and MAYBE learn a lesson from it (and use a box next time).
Old 08-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Sorry to hear about that. I've had lots of stuff delivered in the bag, which I hate, but no problems. Their customer service is pretty good. I'm sure it will be resolved to your liking.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 AM

More likely to be USPS' fault but give Rapha a call I'd say
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Administrator

i had the exact same problem with a pair of the pro team bibs i just bought. exactly what you described. 1 cm cut right out of the bag. just use the included return label and process the exchange online. it's a pretty quick turn-around, no questions asked.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM

I tend to think they'll make it right.

After my crash, I called and explained my situation -- had a pair of their roubaix 3/4 knickers that were trashed by the paramedics -- and they offered to replace them at basically half-off after commiserating on the crash and injury and recovery for a bit. I had the original set less than six months, and they didn't have any kind of crash replacement policy, but in addition they sent along another general discount coupon, and gave me free shipping on the bibs since it didn't meet the minimum for free shipping at the time.

They went out of their way to make me whole on the gear side. I don't think you'll have an issue.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:52 AM

They will take care of you.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Just got off the phone with them: no problems, replacement will go out this PM.
Feedback about the flimsy bag vs. sturdy box taken and appreciated (whatever that means).
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Rapha

Bought 1 st Rapha gear recently. Not worth it. Usually wear Castelli, which seems better quality and less expensive. Really think the Rapha stuff is geared for non cyclists who want to ponce about in bike gear.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmK View Post
Bought 1 st Rapha gear recently. Not worth it. Usually wear Castelli, which seems better quality and less expensive. Really think the Rapha stuff is geared for non cyclists who want to ponce about in bike gear.
There are other threads on that topic to troll.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmK View Post
That's me! I ride 3-4K miles annually, 15-20 races a season. All Rapha gear worn/washed hundreds of times, still looks/feels great.
Someday I hope to be a 'cyclist'.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Getting ready to purchase my first Rapha jersey.

They are doing a limited run "Davis Phinney" long sleeve jersey modeled after the Hell of the West leaders jersey with a portion of sales going to the Davis Phinney Foundation.

Any help with sizing tips would be appreciated

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Getting ready to purchase my first Rapha jersey.

They are doing a limited run "Davis Phinney" long sleeve jersey modeled after the Hell of the West leaders jersey with a portion of sales going to the Davis Phinney Foundation.

Any help with sizing tips would be appreciated

BK
Didn't know they were doing that. I'll have to keep an eye out when they roll it out.

I've got one of their country long sleeve jerseys, and it runs true to the size they list on their site in my experience. (I'm 6'2" and 190-200, depending on where I am in my Ullrich training program of donuts and beer.)

Their long sleeve jersey sleeves run a touch longer than some other long sleeve jerseys I've got, but the end of the sleeve tends to bellbottom out a touch to handle gloves going underneath the end of the cuff. If you've got shorter arms relative to the sizing guide it might end up a tad long, fyi.