Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM

I have an eVent Showers Pass jacket. It's pretty good. I still get steamy in it, but it's decent (and probably about as breathable as any). Very good quality, but slightly funny fit. I usually wear a small, but had to get a medium in it because the small was restrictive in the shoulders (and now the rest is a little bigger than I'd like).

Realistically I use it much more for commuting than just riding, so for that it's excellent.

I've been kind of looking for something less waterproof, more breathable, and more packable for the rather small fraction of the year it's actually cold enough to need.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM
The B!

Any cycling clothing manufacturers use Neoshell? That's some seriously good stuff.

eVent is my second favorite. I've had alpine climbing jackets made of both, and highly approve. On a bike, nothing is going to keep you DRY... but if you're layered right, you won't be drenched when you reach your destination, just damp.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer View Post
The best rain jacket is no rain jacket at all. After about 10 minutes, they all leave you about as wet from sweat as you would have been from the rain.

Not this one .....

www.foxwear.net

USA made, superior quality, fair price
Old 08-28-2014, 06:06 PM
cnighbor2

What is the best rain jacket for cycling

any rain jacket is going to let in some rain. Mainly around the neck
than if not breathable you will sweat so much that your soaked anyways. I like and have used jackets with zippers under arms to allow some air. Back flaps help also
Than when rain gets in you need to be wearing closed cell fabrics if possible. forget cotton. Most jerseys will get wet but dry fast.
Shorts use typical padded ones but something that will dry fast No chamois.
Socks no cotton
wool works I just don't like washing it.
The other question is if riding in the rain is it only one day or many days
than you will need back up rain gear
Warm rain versus cold rain
Warm ride Ok to get wet Cold rain HELP You need serious riding clothes
I lived in Seattle and rode in a lot of rain. the worst is a heavy rain
Hard to keep dry
Charles
Old 08-28-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride View Post
Not this one .....

www.foxwear.net

USA made, superior quality, fair price
Do you have first hand experience with this product? The reason I ask is not to be snarky but as a serious inquiry. I have seen way too many similar claims over the years from products that still feel like a yucky sauna in practice. I want the claims to be true, but past experience leaves me, shall we say, skeptical.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel View Post
i would advise against the rapha rain [s]sponge[/s] jacket
I found the Rapha rain jacket to be a pretty decent jacket. I ran one for a couple of seasons, sold it on and the dude who I sold it to loves it. And I only sold it cause I wanted to get the size down.

Rapha pro-team jacket is also good but be aware it is quite closely cut and probably not suitable for un-lean people.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Rain jacket choice is not about water management, but about temperature management. You will get wet regardless of what rain jacket you choose. Pick the one that will best regulate the temperature that you want to maintain while turning the pedals. A heavy one when it is cold, a light weight one when it is warm, and a vest when it is hot.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Re: What is the best rain jacket for cycling

Many of the "better" jackets are not very packable. More like it's-raining-already type jackets. There was a thread a short while ago that did mentioned one that is light and good. I don't remember the name but a quick search should bring it up.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Do you have first hand experience with this product? The reason I ask is not to be snarky but as a serious inquiry. I have seen way too many similar claims over the years from products that still feel like a yucky sauna in practice. I want the claims to be true, but past experience leaves me, shall we say, skeptical.
Foxwear is legit. He has been in business close to a decade (maybe more) and has a strong following of hikers, campers, mountain climbers, cyclists, etc. He is very knowledgable in the latest fabrics and can construct just about anything you might want or need. He used to be easy to reach by phone but I'm not sure of this nowadays. He also will send fabric samples.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
Packable and able to withstand an hour of rain are diametrically opposed, in my experience. Have you tried a Castelli Gabba jersey?
^^^This. I have two rain jackets. One is for summer. It's extremely lightweight with mesh sides up to the pits so it's very breathable, and packs up very small. I eventually get somewhat wet, but in the summer that matters less. The second is for winter. It is packable in that rolled up it takes up an entire jersey pocket, and still sticks out the top. It can rain cats and dogs, and I am still dry in it. Both are old Performance jackets. The winter one is Gore Tex with pit zips. You can't buy these anymore. The reason for my post is to suggest that you think about two jackets, one for summer and one for winter. The summer one will pack down smaller and be more breathable but at the cost of not providing total rain protection. The winter one can provide total protection, but will not pack down as small.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 PM

mission workshop orion is the best i've tried. the new one uses neoshell. highly packable. 100% waterproof. breathable. out of stock, and also will cost you your first born child.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep2517 View Post
I haven't but I know they are a go to jersey. I need something to fit over a jersey. Will the Gabba work?
Go up a size. They also make a convertible jacket.

I imagine your needs are similar to mine in Texas, although where I live now is humid, but not rainy. Growing up in Houston, it rained a lot. But, that was a long time ago, and my cycling kit was boots, jeans and a shirt to ride 5 miles to school, tennis shoes and running shorts for longer rides on the weekends.

So, I now have some sort of Castelli nano fiber jacket for shoulder seasons when rain is possible - not really packable, kind of a softshell but lighter - it goes up the back of the jersey. I also have a Rapha wind jacket that's packable but lasts 30 minutes in a light rain before it's soaked (gets me home if riding in town). I have a heavy fabric Castelli jacket and pants for touring, which I have yet to do. I tried a few jackets from REI but returned them because none were as good or packable as the Castelli.

If it's going to be warm and rainy, get a waterproof gilet and don't worry about your arms. You won't get as hot.

I do like the suggestion for a real rain cape and fenders. I used to wear a poncho in college during late spring/early summer rains - kept my backpack dry, too, and wasn't as hot as a coat.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rain jacket choice is not about water management, but about temperature management.
This.

The OP's desire to make it through "an hour in the rain" is best addressed with a $15 clear vinyl jacket, with the sleeves cut off at the elbow (for better airflow). Replace every year, or as needed.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I opened the thread to post exactly what Goonster posted. Plastic racing rain cape - custom cut to 1/2 sleeve length to allow some ventilation up the arms.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The best rain jacket is no rain jacket at all. After about 10 minutes, they all leave you about as wet from sweat as you would have been from the rain.

That's been my experience as well. And then after the rain stops you have to carry this wet nasty jacket around and you will dry off soon enough anyway. I just wear a vest if it's a cold rain for an added layer but it aint to stay dry, that's just not possible.