Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM

Now my interest is piqued; I may have to make my way up to MA for next year's D2R2.

It will be good training for the big ride I have planned in 18 months.

Cheers,
KP
Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 PM

That's a big ride.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
That's a big ride.
I did the the TransAmerica Trail when I was 25. I hope to commemorate it by riding the Divide by the time I am 45.

Cheers,
KP
Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
Now my interest is piqued; I may have to make my way up to MA for next year's D2R2.

Cheers,
KP
If you're even considering that ride d2r2 will be a walk in the park for you. One year I was at a super steep section and I saw at least 40 people walking it (I think there were only two options which is why it was so crowded) and the only guy who wasn't had just (as in a couple of days if I remember correctly) returned from doing the continental divide and he tackled the section like it was absolutely nothing. He happened to have the campsite next to me and I was kind of in awe.

Last edited by moose8; 08-29-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Tour Divide

A father/son team I know from Bethel Maine just finished Tour Divide July 18th. Son (Max, age 17) is now the youngest rider to compete the entire "race" southbound. 2,735 miles and about 200,000 feet of vert. Had a target of 35 days and made it!

Father is town LBS owner and cycle coach for Gould Academy.

Max's blog: http://maxsrideonthedivide.wordpress.com
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
A father/son team I know from Bethel Maine just finished Tour Divide July 18th. Son (Max, age 17) is now the youngest rider to compete the entire "race" southbound. 2,735 miles and about 200,000 feet of vert. Had a target of 35 days and made it!

Great story; 35 days is my goal too. My plan is to average 100 miles a day and 1 day off a week for rest.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post

My 15yo and I are riding from Antelope Wells to Frisco on the divide next year. Unfortunately we don't have time for the other half. Pretty awesome stuff for that kid above.

Facebook

smoked out
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post

Cheers,
KP
18 months? Kirk, you can't do this ride in March.

Facebook

smoked out
Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Greene View Post
18 months? Kirk, you can't do this ride in March.
Yeah, didn't mean exactly... within 24 months.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:29 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
sure its OK to have an opinion, but when he attacks the organizers as doing a terrible job, and a cause as being too expensive, that's offensive.

I didn't see that as an attack as much as a pretty reasonable accounting of the ride (given I've also been there)...

And it's not like the guys a goof and doesn't know his way around a map or new places... I get the spirit of the ride, and liked it, but I think it's a pretty reasonable accounting for folks without an emotional connection that might show for it.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
I didn't see that as an attack as much as a pretty reasonable accounting of the ride (given I've also been there)...

And it's not like the guys a goof and doesn't know his way around a map or new places... I get the spirit of the ride, and liked it, but I think it's a pretty reasonable accounting for folks without an emotional connection that might show for it.
I'll categorically disagree. The ride is exactly as described, a rando. It's not fair to complain about no pump at the rest stop, a cue sheet that he as his riding buddies didn't pay attention to, the price, or the fact it goes into Vermont for a stretch.

1) a rando means you need to be self sufficient. You don't like that then this isn't a ride for you.
2) the cue sheets are fine. If you read the account from Tyler elsewhere you'll know they weren't following it closely. They guys were more interested in just being out there riding and the rest of them were cool with that. Perhaps he didn't know this going it, but that's not the fault of the ride. The cue sheets work.
3) it's a fundraiser. Get over it. We're all riding crazy expensive bikes.
4) the route goes into Vermont. That had to be complained about?
5) there are many routes to keep the number of people on a given route down. This allows for a more spread out experience. Also, I've never heard of someone that didn't like more options.

It's like ordering a steak and complaining it doesn't taste more like fish. If you do the slightest amount of research on what the ride is I can't see any of the above as being a reasonable issue.