Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I think his review is indicative of having done basically no research on the ride. The ride delivers what you'd expect if you read the pre-ride emails from the organizers and had, say, read one or two threads on an online cycling forum. In other words, it's an adventure-some ride on gorgeous dirt roads for experienced, self-sufficient cyclists. Sandy and Mary make no secret of that.

The canard about why it goes into Vermont is just offensive. Gee, maybe the organizers are trying to string together miles of great dirt roads regardless of geography.

I had a wonderful time. I got lost because I failed to read the cue sheet. I waited 45 seconds for a beer. I thought the pulled pork was only ok. Oh and I rode on great roads, with great people, on a beautiful day. It's the only ride I absolutely will not miss all year long.
Was just typing something very similar to your first paragraph. It's meant to be in the spirit of old school randonneuring (hell, it's in the name even!)... You have to try pretty hard to not know what you're in for when you sign up.

Idiotic article.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:26 PM
ZhugeLiang

This pal used a lot of words to make ONE point...hmm......

Expectations.

Preparation.

Attitude.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I think his review is indicative of having done basically no research on the ride. The ride delivers what you'd expect if you read the pre-ride emails from the organizers and had, say, read one or two threads on an online cycling forum. In other words, it's an adventure-some ride on gorgeous dirt roads for experienced, self-sufficient cyclists. Sandy and Mary make no secret of that.

The canard about why it goes into Vermont is just offensive. Gee, maybe the organizers are trying to string together miles of great dirt roads regardless of geography.

I had a wonderful time. I got lost because I failed to read the cue sheet. I waited 45 seconds for a beer. I thought the pulled pork was only ok. Oh and I rode on great roads, with great people, on a beautiful day. It's the only ride I absolutely will not miss all year long.
Never done it and probably never will, but would love to try it and the above is why.

Sounds like unrealistic expectations on his part and for what it sounds like he wants/expects there are a plethora of rides to choose from on the other hand for those that don't want that the options are limited and this sounds like one of the best to me. I read the reports every year and the things he complains about are the ones that would make me want to do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM

Just curious what your $90+ dollars goes towards if this is a self supported ride.

Tim
Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM

that dude increasingly writes, and perhaps rides, with his water bottle half empty.

i stopped reading his whining and pining a long time ago.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:06 PM

It goes toward preserving some of the most beautiful landscapes in this country.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Just curious what your $90+ dollars goes towards if this is a self supported ride.

Tim
It's very far from self supported. Just doesn't have flashing signs at every turn and a personal chef waiting for you at the finish line...

http://franklinlandtrust.org/d2r2_included.html
http://www.franklinlandtrust.org/randonnee.html

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 08-28-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM

That was painful. That's the kind of whiner you try to slip when he's in the porta potty or sandwich line.

Facebook

smoked out
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post

Who?

Never heard of him...
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
not banished

let's be clear

RKP is a far, far cry from Belgium Knee Warmers - leave Padraig and Remove Tony and it's a shell of a site which is RPK.

This is a "journalist" (his word for him, not mine) that wouldn't dare have anyone question Armstrong doping, then when Armstrong went and said to Oprah and proclaimed he did, in fact dope, Padraig from RPK said he knew Armstrong was on dope all along cause he saw his calf in a hotel one time (I am not making any of this up).

In sum - he is just not very good.

Last edited by velomonkey; 08-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:14 PM

$90 and it was worth every penny! I've paid more than that for other bike/running rides/races. Got more out of this than most of the other events I've been involved with. I would have even paid for that first beer it was so good.

Was a great day and I hope more people are discouraged to participate. Keeping it small is one of the beauty of this ride.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Shifty Member

Waffler

Funny thing is that he usually glows about it.

Look at his 2013 review:
http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/08/d2r2-2013/

Now he can't find the route and is upset. I made a wrong turn and ended up around 80 miles. That's part of the fun IMO. If he wanted to make sure he was always on the right track, he should have done the more popular 100k or 180k events.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
Funny thing is that he usually glows about it.

Look at his 2013 review:
http://redkiteprayer.com/2013/08/d2r2-2013/

Now he can't find the route and is upset. I made a wrong turn and ended up around 80 miles. That's part of the fun IMO. If he wanted to make sure he was always on the right track, he should have done the more popular 100k or 180k events.
The 2013 review appears to be written by someone else who clearly GETS IT.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Administrator

the fact that he acknowledges that the ride is held to support the great cause of the Franklin Land Trust, and then goes on to bemoan the cost of the event over and over, including in the comments is just distasteful. "what am i paying sooo much money for if they cant hold my hand and serve me beer faster" - what a joke.