Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Ari W

This happens close to my house frequently, on a 2 lane road with modest bike lanes and a nice big sidewalk. I have taken to riding straight at them, being forced into traffic isn't my idea of safe. It also irks me to no end that there is a big empty sidewalk that they won't use.

-Ari
Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 PM

Bike lane etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Isnt running the wrong way (against traffic) the right way for pedestrians? You got to yield for runners, yo.
This. Pedestrians move AGAINST traffic, not with it, folks. Not sure if the rules change in a MUP situation, but I suspect not.

Whatever the answer, we should probably fact check our ROW assumptions before sounding off like angry drivers crabbing about those Lycra clad irritants on two wheels.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 PM

so what might be a proactive way to

try to fix the problem? It sounds dangerous for all involved. Death usually shakes people out of their false sense of peaceful arrogance. If it is dangerous...and against the law, I suggest notifying "the law."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I used the term "bike lane" to distinguish it from a "bike path" or MUP. It's a road with a white stripe on the right side designating a bike lane. I have no objection to riding fast or training on it - it's not full of families with strollers or children on bikes with training wheels.

Last edited by eddief; 08-26-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 PM

Bike lane etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariw View Post
This happens close to my house frequently, on a 2 lane road with modest bike lanes and a nice big sidewalk. I have taken to riding straight at them, being forced into traffic isn't my idea of safe. It also irks me to no end that there is a big empty sidewalk that they won't use.

-Ari
So you do the same thing in your car, right? Drive right at 'em? Because your car and your bike are both vehicles operating at relatively high speed and subject to the rules of the road.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Randomhead

I don't mind yielding to runners. I really would prefer that they jump up on the sidewalk for a few strides, but the cars can wait for me to pass them safely. Not every road is a freeway, after all. Of course, some motorists disagree with me passing pedestrians with a safe distance, but they will get theirs come the revolution.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Don't train in the bike lane.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM

i very regularly ride on roads with a generous 3-4' bike lanes (which are actually just hard shoulders with a bike painted on them...) and I've never had problems avoiding or passing oncoming runners, and i encounter probably a minimum of a dozen per ride. i didn't know this was a problem for people. its so easy to see someone on foot ahead of you, check for traffic, and time your pass.

if you don't feel safe riding on bike paths, MUPs or the like, you should avoid them. same goes for any circumstance where you may have to divert from the hard shoulder or bike line to take the travel lane. if ya can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, ya know?

and atmo even if you have the right of the way over the runners its a pretty dick move to buzz them or shout some aggro BS at them. thats lame. thats the kind of crap that makes people loathe "cyclists"
Old 08-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
and atmo even if you have the right of the way over the runners its a pretty dick move to buzz them or shout some aggro BS at them. thats lame. thats the kind of crap that makes people loathe "cyclists"
And what makes cyclists hate drivers.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:30 PM

Georgia......

§ 40-6-96. Pedestrians on or along roadway

(a) As used in this Code section, the term "pedestrian" means any person afoot and shall include, without limitation, persons standing, walking, jogging, running, or otherwise on foot.

(b) Where a sidewalk is provided, it shall be unlawful for any pedestrian to stand or stride along and upon an adjacent roadway unless there is no motor vehicle traveling within 1,000 feet of such pedestrian on such roadway or the available sidewalk presents an imminent threat of bodily injury to such pedestrian.

(c) Where a sidewalk is not provided but a shoulder is available, any pedestrian standing or striding along and upon a highway shall stand or stride only on the shoulder, as far as practicable from the edge of the roadway.

(d) Where neither a sidewalk nor a shoulder is available, any pedestrian standing or striding along and upon a highway shall stand or stride as near as practicable to an outside edge of the roadway, and, if on a two-lane roadway, shall stand or stride only on the left side of the roadway.

(e) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, any pedestrian upon a roadway shall yield the right of way to all vehicles upon the roadway.

(f) No pedestrian shall enter or remain upon any bridge or approach thereto beyond the bridge signal, gate, or barrier after a bridge operation signal indication has been given.

(g) No pedestrian shall pass through, around, over, or under any crossing gate or barrier at a railroad grade crossing or bridge while such gate or barrier is closed or is being opened or closed.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 PM

As a general rule of thumb

I yield to horses on the trail
And any pedestrian whether
In the right or not following
The rules of the road at all...
'The customer is always right'
Approach always
Seems to apply to pedestrians
And rightfully so
Whether I'm driving my car
Or riding my bike
...it's cars I can't resist chasing down
For the sport of it...
Although I'm more of a fan
Of shut up mouth
And say what you can legs
As of late

Last edited by spiderman; 08-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 PM
Randomhead

I was on a 600km ride with a guy that apparently buzzed pedestrians if they weren't exactly following his rules of the road. First time I noticed it was on the Hudson river walkway, he was buzzing people that were walking on the left even though the bridge was nearly empty. It was so blatant and dangerous a couple of times I was sorely tempted to put him in a ditch***. Go try to bully a guy in a Mercedes, but leave the pedestrians alone.

*** the ditch thing would have been easy, because he would pass on the right if you gave him a sliver of pavement. This may have also been his way of buzzing people that weren't doing things the right way, but I never confronted him about it. Fortunately, he lives in NYC and doesn't drive.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:19 PM
cmg

find another route with less runners. "so what might be a proactive way to
try to fix the problem?" that is so filled with optimism it made me laugh. your not, even if you painted signs every 5 feet the message won't get across. lots of luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Don't train in the bike lane.
perzackly!

CaptStash....
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Isnt running the wrong way (against traffic) the right way for pedestrians? You got to yield for runners, yo.
This is now it works for our bike trails here in Sacto CA Runners run against traffic.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 AM

I'm with Admiral Ackbar and unterhausen.

Speaking as a cyclist, it's absolutely easy to check traffic and move out of the path of the runner when I see him/her/them approaching in the distance. Can spot them from a ways away. No skin off my nose.

I do get annoyed/worried when I see runners going WITH the flow of traffic in the bike lane/street. That's just plain unsafe and stupid. But I still don't yell or buzz them, because that would compound the unsafe-and-stupid-ness of the situation. Being aggro doesn't help anyone.

Speaking as a runner, there are a few reasons why I'll run on the road rather than an available sidewalk and they're almost entirely safety related; I'll share a few here. Late at night, it's hard to see people and/or sidewalk conditions, making it pretty dangerous to run. By people, I mean assholes that ambush runners (it's happened).

During other times of the day, I'm mostly worried about cars. By and large, car drivers don't seem to check their right when they pull out of a driveway/street/etc.. they roll through the line while looking left for oncoming traffic instead of checking for pedestrians first. This means that having 3 feet of extra distance and being in middle of the street make it much safer for me (bike lane or not) even in broad daylight. I average 4 runs a week, and staying on the sidewalk has gotten me hit my careless drivers on multiple occasions over the years. I get really close to being hit by a car about once per run, on average. We all know how big and fast cars are. Being in the bike lane makes a big difference - if it seems safer, I take it.

That being said, when I'm running in the bike lane and see a cyclist approaching, I hop on the sidewalk if it's there because I'm trying not to be an asshole that creates an unnecessarily unsafe situation (also, it's a bike lane. I recognize that). That's the same reason why I sometimes jump off the sidewalk into the street/bike lane - pedestrians can be even more inattentive. Again, my goal is to minimize the risk of collisions/etc. walkers are an unpredictable bunch, even (maybe especially?) when you call out that you're approaching.