Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 PM

Bike lane etiquette

There is road in Atlanta along the Chattahoochee River that is a very popular training area for triathletes, cyclists, and runners. Although the road has a reasonably generous bike lane (4 ft ???), lots of people run against traffic causing a "squeeze play" when a car is passing. I'm surprised to find that runners expect me to yield.

What do you think?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM

I take the right side of the lane and let the people going the wrong way look at the traffic heading for them and decide where they want to position themselves. I'm not about to swerve left into traffic that I can't see to accommodate them.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 PM

hopefully there are some dogs

both on and off leash to make it really interesting. Is it bike lane painted on pavement? And runners are running against the flow? Sounds like you need to ride with a frame pump in one hand, but that won't really solve anything. Multi-use trails that include cyclists require too much attention. Find another route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
There is road in Atlanta along the Chattahoochee River that is a very popular training area for triathletes, cyclists, and runners. Although the road has a reasonably generous bike lane (4 ft ???), lots of people run against traffic causing a "squeeze play" when a car is passing. I'm surprised to find that runners expect me to yield.

What do you think?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM
The B!

I look, signal, merge into the main lane and irritatedly say "WRONG WAY" as I pass. Not getting into a head-on with an idiot who doesn't understand LAWS (illegal to go against flow in main lane or bike lane in Oregon), reason, or etiquette.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:21 PM
The B!

Cyclists going the wrong way in the bike lane is probably my number 1 peeve on the road. I've been inches from 40+mph impacts with dudes pulling that crap.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
Cyclists going the wrong way in the bike lane is probably my number 1 peeve on the road. I've been inches from 40+mph impacts with dudes pulling that crap.
To clarify, the wrong way users are runners not cyclists.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM
The B!

Quote:
Ah.. I'd gotten the impression it was all-of-the-above doing it. I am not sure ive ever said anything to runners- they do it less frequently than cyclists round hur. If it was a problem, I'd probably change "WRONG WAY" to "BIKE LANE"
Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 PM

We have similar situations on Saturdays, but with groups of runners (10-20) running two abreast against traffic flow. This on a wide clearly marked bike lane, alongside a 35mph divided thoroughfare with dedicated left turn lanes.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
We have similar situations on Saturdays, but with groups of runners (10-20) running two abreast against traffic flow. This on a wide clearly marked bike lane, alongside a 35mph divided thoroughfare with dedicated left turn lanes.
You are bumming me out here. Bad behavior happens Everywhere??
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 PM

I had a jogger pull that crap early one morning at a right hand turn lane, and I was driving a car

Mostly they jump onto the sidewalk for me, but I'd go with Ken Robb's suggestion. They're in the bike lane after all, not the pedestrian lane.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
I had a jogger pull that crap early one morning at a right hand turn lane, and I was driving a car

Mostly they jump onto the sidewalk for me, but I'd go with Ken Robb's suggestion. They're in the bike lane after all, not the pedestrian lane.

Ah yeah, but herein lies the problem.

If I substitute cyclist in your first sentence, viz, "I had a cyclist pull that crap early one morning at a right hand turn lane, and I was driving a car" we see exactly how the majority of vehicle drivers see us.

Furthermore, if I substitute a few words in your conclusion, viz, "They're in the car lane after all, not the bike lane" things become all too clear.

Perhaps sadly, a wise person I know who commented upon MUP use etc in Australia pointed out the hierarchical system is the only way we can make sense of this stuff. Same on the road. Pedestrian rights uppermost, cyclist next, car after that, big vehicles after that. We look out for and accomodate those more vulnerable than ourselves.

When it comes to an MUP this is paramount; to think you have unfettered right to race or time trial or go as fast as conditions allow is just not the right view to bring to a MUP. Sharing, even with those who piss me off the most, being dogwalkers who allow their precious muppets off the leash or on the end of a 30ft leash (usually stretching across the path!!!) is the only way to make it work.

In the case of the OP, who specifically mentions a 'bike path' that makes things more difficult, but I still maintain that such paths are no place to 'race' or train to race; they're just too dangerous. Odd really, because that only leaves the open roads, but they're far safer.

[Louis, why are you p*ssing on a bear?]

Last edited by rustychisel; 08-26-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

^^^^^ Agreed - I'm pretty sure runners and walkers consider cyclists to be the cars of the MUP.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Isnt running the wrong way (against traffic) the right way for pedestrians? You got to yield for runners, yo.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM

I used the term "bike lane" to distinguish it from a "bike path" or MUP. It's a road with a white stripe on the right side designating a bike lane. I have no objection to riding fast or training on it - it's not full of families with strollers or children on bikes with training wheels.