Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM

First time for me; did the 180k with two other friends/D2R2 veterans who kept me from getting too lost. Hardest ride I have ever done, best ride I have ever done.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Great day, I hope everyone had a special day on their bikes in Franklin County and beyond. THIS is why I ride...
Exactly. I say the same thing when I get a good powder day - it's why I ski/ride/etc. Huge smile on my face at the end of the day.

Murph
Old 08-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Shifty Member

Great ride. Did the 115k...ish with a friend from Wheelworks where I work part time. We got there late and rolled out about 9am, took it easy and enjoyed the scenery.

Realized pretty quickly that my 36-28 low gear meant that I didn't have much ability to spin so I had to crank up all the hills while I told my legs that all will be okay later I switchbacked up some of the paved climbs, but had to pretty much grind out some of the other climbs on the back side of the loop like the never-ending grind up the dirt to the Little Big House. Did it from the other side 2 years ago on the 100k and thought it was much easier from that side. Also to throw in Hawk's Road at the very end is just cruel. All in all, it was awesome and the Warbird rode so well, especially rippin on the gravel downhills.

]

Covered bridge under construction.

Lunch

Looking back towards the canyon we just climbed up to get to the last rest stop.

Me about to pass out about 65 miles into it at the last rest stop.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 PM

Looks like a beautiful ride! We have nothing like that on the island I live on.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Imshi Cycles

After 3 years of the 180k I decided to mix it up a bit and do the 160, as it promised a bunch of new roads and a few old favorites in the opposite direction...

I rode with my team (Columbus SLX and Formulasaab included in that bunch) along with a few other friends, about 10 of us total. The route was GREAT, highly recommend for anyone looking for a slight change of pace from the other "classic" routes. Ill be torn between it and the 180 next year for sure.

Gear wise I rode "30c" Michelin Jets (they measure much wider on 23mm rims) with a low gear of 40x32t, it was great (for me).

Below are a few pics from my ride. The B&W shots are of my buddy Dan descending the last part insane/awesome jeep track/trail/river on his road bike (25c). He also managed to ride across the enormous 2ft deep puddle in one of the other photos (he couldn't stop in time), I'm still trying to wrap my head around how he did it...

Anyways, awesome day (as always), can't wait for next year!

A few more here if you're interested...

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 08-25-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:57 AM
needs adult supervision

Thanks to everyone for photos. Sure is pretty. Looks like lots of, er, fun. you folks are crazy. In a good way!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 AM
Administrator

those Tomi bikes look great, saw a few of them over the weekend, very impressive.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM

This was the fourth or fifth time I've ridden the 100k, and the third with christian and John. Our group got separated just before the lunch stop, with christian and four others ending up on the 180k route. At lunch, one of the guys from our group asked Sandy if there was any way for them to rejoin us, and he said that at one point they'd be on the other side of the Green River, and all they'd have to do is cross the river to rejoin us. I can't recall who said, "christian will think of that," but as we were riding along the river after lunch, all we could think was, "there's no way they'll cross that." I would have loved to see them cross the river, especially Darren's attempt to ride across it on cristian's dare (although I get his thinking that, if he made it across on his bike, his shoes and socks would be dry). Hope L's knee is ok and didn't need stitches...

The weather could not have been better, and the peaches and apples at Apex were heavenly. I keep forgetting to stop and take a photo of the knight statue at the start of the gnarly section of Hawkes Road with the cardboard sign that read, this year, "NONE SHALL PASS." Did anyone here take one?

The 115k route looks enticing—maybe next year...

Last edited by happycampyer; 08-25-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

BbDave-pal did, with me flashing by, but that was last year.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
they'd have to do is cross the river to rejoin us. I can't recall who said, "christian will think of that," but as we were riding along the river after lunch, all we could think was, "there's no way they'll cross that."

Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post

I had a buddy riding the 180k who somehow ended up at the wrong lunch stop, and Sandy suggested he ford the river. Sandy suggested there was a spot that was only shin deep with a guide line to help across, but he couldn't find it. He chose the spot that looked least rocky and ended up in water up to his chest. Ooops!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 AM

This was the fourth or fifth time I've ridden the 100k, and the third with christian and John. Our group got separated just before the lunch stop, with christian and four others ending up on the 180k route. At lunch, one of the guys from our group asked Sandy if there was any way for them to rejoin us, and he said that at one point they'd be on the other side of the Green River, and all they'd have to do is cross the river to rejoin us. I can't recall who said, "christian will think of that," but as we were riding along the river after lunch, all we could think was, "there's no way they'll cross that." I would have loved to see them cross the river, especially Darren's attempt to ride across it on cristian's dare (although I get his thinking that, if he made it across on his bike, his shoes and socks would be dry). Hope L's knee is ok and didn't need stitches...

The weather could not have been better, and the peaches and apples at Apex were heavenly. I keep forgetting to stop and take a photo of the knight statue at the start of the gnarly section of Hawkes Road with the cardboard sign that read, this year, "NONE SHALL PASS." Did anyone here take one?

The 115k route looks enticing—maybe next year...

Happycampyer:

Yep the jaunt through the river was a blast! Something I'll always remember. Thanks for asking about the knee--its doing OK and no stitches required, only a bruised ego. The guy I got the old dirty rag and duct tape from couldn't believe I would put that over the cut, but it worked. Got to do what you got to do... Had a great time and I'll be back!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 AM

D2R2 Fail

After two years on the 180k route, we decided to mix it up and try the 160k. Unfortunately I either ate, drank or smoked something Friday night that just didn't agree with me. Some bad combination of all 3, maybe? I'm not 20 anymore, apparently...

Saturday morning I crawled out of the tent at 5am and went running for the deserted end of the field, then proceeded to vomit all over the place. I was in bad, bad shape. I haven't been that hungover in quite some time. While my two companions went off to the breakfast tent, I stumbled around the camp bumping into things and generally feeling like death. I tried to drink some water, tiny little sips at a time. That of course caused me to throw up again. Swallow, vomit, repeat.

It was obvious my day was doomed, but I finally rallied enough to pull on my kit, and the three of us rolled out at 7am on the 160k route. For a few miles I felt "ok". I sat on wheels and spun my legs, my heart rate barely cracking 100 bpm. I took more tiny sips of water, and nibbled cautiously on a plain bagel I'd grabbed on the way out.

Then I pulled over to throw up again. And yet we soldiered on. I kept my head down and tried not to crash into anybody. I focused on turning the pedals easy and not burning any extra energy. I was worried - I wasn't taking in any calories and I was already massively dehydrated. I saw eBAUMANN and his crew come by, but I couldn't raise my head to say hi. I barely spoke those first 15 miles.

Around 15.5 miles in, my partners pulled over for a pee break and I was grateful to stop, as I knew I was close to throwing up again. We seemed to be at the crest of the first long climb. It was here that I threw in the towel. Without being able to eat or drink anything, I was bound to end up a pile quivering flesh on the side of the road somewhere. Rather than burden Sandy and the gracious D2R2 volunteers with the task of looking after me in a state of medical emergency, I said goodbye to my friends and turned around. Blessedly, it was 15 miles of downhill and flat roads back to camp. I stopped three more times along the way to painfully expel what little remained in my stomach.

I got back to the tent around 9:20am, changed, crawled in and closed my eyes. I slept for maybe an hour and half. Around 11am I got up and was able to drink half a bottle of water and eat some of the bagel. And it actually stayed down. Then I went back to sleep.

At about 1pm I woke up, and was delighted to find myself feeling more like a human and less like tall, skinny wreckage. I shoveled back some food and water, cleaned up the camp a bit, packed up the tent, and then wiggled into my kit once more. By 2 pm I was on the road again, riding the 160k route in reverse to try and catch my pals.

I got about 10 miles out on beautiful, quiet, mostly dirt roads. I waved to a lot to confused riders as they passed by, heading for the finish. Then I rounded a corner and ran into my friends, plus a few new pals they met along the way, and we rode back to the finish line together.

So the day wasn't a total loss for me, but it certainly didn't go as I'd imagined. I'm just bummed I need to wait another year to redeem myself. And no partying next year... I ain't getting any younger.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM

My first time. Did the 115, met a bunch on nice folks along the way. Patten hill killed me, legs were not ready for that one. Did an extra lap at the “lollipop”, where many riders were going all different ways…kept hearing about how “tricky” Hawks road was, I thought it was fine (this year at least).
Loved the FAST downhills, a jeep coming up the road was a great reminder for me to “cool it”. Perfect weather, good beer, a great day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018-end-od.jpg (81.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
After 3 years of the 180k I decided to mix it up a bit and do the 160, as it promised a bunch of new roads and a few old favorites in the opposite direction...

Below are a few pics from my ride. The B&W shots are of my buddy Dan descending the last part insane/awesome jeep track/trail/river on his road bike (25c). He also managed to ride across the enormous 2ft deep puddle in one of the other photos (he couldn't stop in time), I'm still trying to wrap my head around how he did it...

Anyways, awesome day (as always), can't wait for next year!

A few more here if you're interested...
Eric - Amazing photos, as always! That Tomii build is sick. Kept an eye out for you, but clearly you are right - totally different roads on the 160k versus 180k. Makes me want to try the 160k next year!