Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Barn find (sort of) Benotto

I was delivering to one of my regular stops the other day (I'm a UPS driver) and in conversation with my customer mentioned my bike addiction. He came right back with his former cycling habit and told me about his mid 80s Peugeot PX-10. He told me that he had given it away years prior and coincidentally, I know the fellow who he gave it to and had seen him riding it on many occasions. He mentioned that his wife had a Benotto and I told him how I thought that those old Italian marques were pretty neat. He said, "wait here" and went into his storage/vacant farmhouse that sits next to his home. Minutes later he rolled this dusty, time capsule like Benotto and said, "you can have it, I've been trying to get rid of it for years". I was shocked, and offered to pay him something for it. He said that if I rode it that would be plenty enough for him. Pretty nice guy.

I knew nothing about the Benotto story so when I got home I read up on the web. Turns out this bike, Modelo 800, is sort of the basic high tensile lugged frame with middling Suntour and Modolo bits. The tires were flat but uncracked (schrader valves). He pulled off a sheepskin seat cover to expose a pristine Avocet Touring WII saddle. Finished off with the classic Benotto bar tape. I pumped the tires up and a few minutes later the rear exploded. The front is still holding air. I replaced the rear with a tire that I had around, and swapped the Avocet saddle for a big black one that I had in the garage. Snugged some loose spokes, centered the brakes, and took a spin around the block. 2 x 6 speed friction shifting. I'm not sure just what I want to do as far as restoration/conversion, but it seems like it will be a fun project.

Last edited by henrypretz; 08-30-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Nice. A few dings, but it looks like it's in good shape.

If it fits I'd clean it up and use it for stuff like ice-cream rides. I wouldn't trust the front tire, even though the tube is holding air.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Riding Along

Great find.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Nice. A few dings, but it looks like it's in good shape.

If it fits I'd clean it up and use it for stuff like ice-cream rides. I wouldn't trust the front tire, even though the tube is holding air.
Agreed. I would replace the reflectors with small lights and then swap the tires for some tan lgg tires.

I think this adaptor:
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3108.html
And these lights:
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3035.html
Would fit on the factory reflector brackets if you want to keep an oem look and add some functionality.

I've also a larger LED light that should mount directly to it.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:00 PM

I'd get it in good condition and use it as a B-bike, cruiser for easy Sundays, a bike to leave at the in-laws/parents, a loaner for friends when they come to visit, or any combination of the previous.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 PM

I had a white one in the late 60's/early 70's. My brother had a gold one.
Good memories. Enjoy.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Keep those rubber brake hoods out of the sun and try not to pull them back or anything that would stress them, so to speak. It's tough to find replacement hoods nowadays.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM

Great story,and cool bike too .Good to see generous people.