Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Classics Fan

Stricter penalties in the NFL for domestic violence

6 game suspension for 1st offense, lifetime ban for 2nd offense.

Not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, the NFL has to protect the brand, and the cynical side of me says that these new penalties are just cowing to public pressure and trying to win back female fans (a fast growing part of the fan base). On the other hand, Yeah, it is obviously something we don't want players to be doing, and this makes sense to punish bad behavior.

But isn't that what the court system is for? and why carve out a special exception for domestic violence? Why not expand the criteria for any crime/action that besmirches the reputation of the league, team or player. Whether it is domestic violence, performance enhancing drugs, drug/gun charges, DUI, public fighting or intoxication, etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM

The NFL did this because of the completely predictable backlash from the completely tone deaf punishment of Rice. (The same guy, who, in his first public remarks about the incident, talked about how life knocks you down and you take to take the hits and get up. God that was galling.)

They're suspending the best receiver in the league for a year for drugs, yet Rice punches his fiance out in an elevator and gets two games. Or, if you're Greg Hardy and bash your girlfriend's head into a toilet and then throw her on a pile of machine guns (which is a thing that totally happened), you don't hear anything yet.

And my friends wonder why I don't really watch the games anymore.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:49 PM
i ride to eat.

money is the motive...
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Mr Dobalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
They're suspending the best receiver in the league for a year for drugs, yet Rice punches his fiance out in an elevator and gets two games. Or, if you're Greg Hardy and bash your girlfriend's head into a toilet and then throw her on a pile of machine guns (which is a thing that totally happened), you don't hear anything yet.
Josh Gordon is multi multi time offender....that has chosen weed over a lucrative NFL career. He had serious problems with it in college and hasn't got any better. He didn't take "a hit of the bong"...and find himself suspended. The consequences of his missteps are spelled out in the CBA ....the one that the players agreed to. He is not a victim.

I don't disagree with you about Ray Rice or the initial punishment. It should have been spelled out like it is now. I have no problem with the current stance. There is language that the lifetime ban can be appealed after 1 year....FWIW.

He admitted they stepped on their own peepee with the original discipline issued to Rice. The backlash was predictable and not unjustified, but the comparison to Josh Gordon is not a good one IMO

Last edited by firerescuefin; 08-29-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Readability
Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Mr.Chicken Legs

I Find the NFL to be a mostly repulsive origination.

How these players are held to a pretty much ridiculously low standard is hilarious. Millions of kids look up to these guys and it seems that's TONS of them are horribly scary dudes.
It's run obviously by money, which is the way it will always be, but I'm happy they've done this. Needs to be done more.

Below is a link to utsandiego' police database if NFL players.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM
needs adult supervision

Domestic violence, whether against a woman or children, is a unique crime. The revised policy essentially says, you get one punch but not two. I know it may seem too draconian but I'm not sure I'd give any player even one punch. For any DV incident, I'd argue for at least a one year ban, maybe two. I just can't see any excuse for ever laying a hand on a woman or child. It is a crime of another order of magnitude from drugs, fights, even DUI.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsocks View Post
I Find the NFL to be a mostly repulsive origination.

How these players are held to a pretty much ridiculously low standard is hilarious. Millions of kids look up to these guys and it seems that's TONS of them are horribly scary dudes.
It's run obviously by money, which is the way it will always be, but I'm happy they've done this. Needs to be done more.

Below is a link to utsandiego' police database if NFL players.

http://www.utsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/
According to FBI stats, about 3991 arrests per 100,000 in the U.S. per year or 3.99%

Looking at the database for 2013, 54 arrests for 1696 NFL players or 3.18%. NFL arrests just get publicity to stand out in our minds, but overall, U.S. society is just a big police blotter.....

I do agree the high profile players should be held to a higher standard, but that may never happen unless society demands it. My mind still boggles that Jameis Winston could win the Heisman trophy with the allegation of rape hanging over his head (870 sports 'Journalists' voted. He won with 80%). But I digress.

I always liked Ray Rice. He is a local boy, deemed too small who went to a second rate program at the time (Rutgers) and still made it to the NFL on hard work. I hope he turns it around and sees the light. The one thing I know about domestic violence is sometimes you just can't tell who the guy is that does it. It is a very insidious crime.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-29-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 AM
v a n i l l a

they got ray rice wrong but they got #99 right - 9 games.

two year debacle of weapons, stabbings, DUI and the LAX bomb threat - good riddance idiot.

that with bowman recovery means no NFC championship and someone else playing int SB 50 in Levi's. look for the gritting teeth in khaki's...

Meanwhile my team may have finally found a decent QB...albeit a rookie. #4 Carr.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:29 AM

Yes!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The NFL did this because of the completely predictable backlash from the completely tone deaf punishment of Rice. (The same guy, who, in his first public remarks about the incident, talked about how life knocks you down and you take to take the hits and get up. God that was galling.)

And my friends wonder why I don't really watch the games anymore.
Best receiver gets a year for something not a crime in Denver, man assaults a someone half his size, which is a crime everywhere, I call BS.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
6 game suspension for 1st offense, lifetime ban for 2nd offense.

Not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand, the NFL has to protect the brand, and the cynical side of me says that these new penalties are just cowing to public pressure and trying to win back female fans (a fast growing part of the fan base). On the other hand, Yeah, it is obviously something we don't want players to be doing, and this makes sense to punish bad behavior.

But isn't that what the court system is for? and why carve out a special exception for domestic violence? Why not expand the criteria for any crime/action that besmirches the reputation of the league, team or player. Whether it is domestic violence, performance enhancing drugs, drug/gun charges, DUI, public fighting or intoxication, etc.
Agree-arrest, try and if found guilty, appropriate punishment, ie;jail..then suspend or fire them..hit them n the wallet..
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I did not read the language of the new rule, but I hope the domestic violence label requires a legal conviction, not a mere charge or a league determination. There are many anecdotes of women using the domestic violence label to gain an upper hand in a dispute because of the presumption of guilt that can surround the charge, even if both parties were engaged in physical violence against each other.

I find it somewhat quaint in a society that stridently asserts gender equality in all things regardless of apparent exceptions that the implicit inequality behind the domestic violence presumption is embraced. Bigger, stronger applies to many man on man situations and not to all man on woman situations. Does society even propose an appropriate response in the moment of physical attack by a woman on a man? Cover up and take it (JayZ)? Grab her gently and restrain her (no thumb bruises please)? Run out the door today, tomorrow and forever while filing for divorce? Hide in the bathroom? None of these would society expect of a man being attacked by a man (if anything, the opposite). The sexism vs. reality behind the domestic violence presumption is a problem with the legal system that is amplified by an extra-legal system that can deny a player his career and millions under a permanent cloud of Google-found opprobrium.

I have no problem with banning some big guy smacking around some little lady because she is an easy victim and he has no impulse control. If this encourages football players to marry really calm and nice women all the better. But any system with an implicit inclination to guilt will have problems. The NFL should at least also equally punish players with assault and battery convictions and thereby dilute the gender component.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Wow.

So if a football player beats up his wife and she would happen to be just as tall, it would be okay, cos that's "equality"? You wrote three paragraphs, and in every single one you blame the woman, not the man.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Ray Rice's fiancé forgave him and became his wife, so why can't we?

How many people are penalized at their jobs for domestic violence?

Percentage of NFL players committing domestic violence any higher than the overall population? My guess is that it is lower, but that is just my guess.

Be careful, soon racism will be alleged!

Isn't everyone innocent until proven guilty in a Court of Law? Shouldn't a criminal conviction have to occur first? Otherwise, what is the standard?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md3000 View Post
Wow.

So if a football player beats up his wife and she would happen to be just as tall, it would be okay, cos that's "equality"? You wrote three paragraphs, and in every single one you blame the woman, not the man.
I bent over backwards to be explicit and comprehensive to avoid such a knee jerk reaction, but your limbo bar is far too low. You completely failed to comprehend what I wrote. Maybe "little lady" as a cultural reference is too old for you. How about I simplify it to a ridiculous level: I have no problem punishing behavior that fits the common conception of domestic violence. I bet we agree on that. None of what I wrote is in disagreement with that simple thought.