Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
This.

The OP's desire to make it through "an hour in the rain" is best addressed with a $15 clear vinyl jacket, with the sleeves cut off at the elbow (for better airflow). Replace every year, or as needed.
I have the Gore Xenon half-sleeve jacket. You wouldn't think that only having half sleeves on a rain jacket's a good thing, but lemme tell ya, it rocks!

Wear it in the summer 'cause you don't bake cause the sleeves are short.

Wear it in the winter and you are warm enough because the sleeves hit you at the elbow.

Not cheap tho. Does pack down small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. Barely

Only thing I don't like about mine is its black. Make it 'don't hit me yellow' and I'd be happier.

M
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rain jacket choice is not about water management, but about temperature management. You will get wet regardless of what rain jacket you choose. Pick the one that will best regulate the temperature that you want to maintain while turning the pedals.
Totally agree.

I wear a waterproof vest for when its chillier and I expect to get wet and make sure I'm wearing wool baselayers. Just want to make sure I'll stay warm when I'm wet. And a cap since I ride with glasses. There isn't a breathable enough fabric in the world to keep you from sweating if you're doing anything above your recovery HR.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride View Post
Not this one .....

www.foxwear.net

USA made, superior quality, fair price
Seems we tell them this every fall/winter/spring!

This guy make GREAT custom stuff and is super easy to work with.

Not the best web site, but easily the best Jackets (rain or cold), tights and base layer stuff I have ever tried.

But go on and spend all the money on stuff that doesn't fit quite right, but has a bunch of good looking models and marketing behind them.

In the long run, it's better for Ray and myself
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep2517 View Post
I'm looking for a quality rain jacket. Breathable and packable and if I'm in the rain for an hour - I'm reasonably dry. I don't think I want a hooded jacket, just a good quality rain jacket. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Joe
No 'best', but sold yellow Rainshield ones. Breathable and water proof ala Goretex but only about $35. Made from derivative of Tyvek.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM

My Showers Pass Elite jacket has served me as well as could be expected.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM

I am very pleased with the MW Orion. I recently picked up one of the original Schoeller versions. The newer version has a few high vis options if that's your thing. Not cheap, but it's an exceedingly well thought out and well made garment.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:48 PM

the Endura Flyte is, hands-down, the best rain jacket I've ever worn. great coverage, pockets where you want them, and as breathable as it gets.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 PM

I also wear an Endura Flyte Jacket and am very happy with it's waterproof breathability.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:16 AM

If I'm headed out into a loong brevet facing many or more hours of brutal prain I reach for my bombproof Showers Pass. It does that job right. Price is worth the design and functionality.

I'f it's between ~40* and 60* and I won't likely be seeing extended spells of heavy wet I really like my silnylon Rapha Stowaway jacket. Sheds a steady rain up to an hour and I can ride it in just a thin wool jersey down to 30*F. Below that I add arm warmers and/or an insulating tank layer. I stay dry and toasty and can modulate temps via zippers and layers. The stowaway I have uses reflective bands down each arm and a reflective zipper. I really appreciate that when commuting beyond sunlight hours.

Rumor early this week there was a Rapha sale ongoing w/ codes.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Assos Sturmprinz in lolly red. Ridiculously priced unless you find it on sale or buy from Germany (in which case its about as ridiculously priced as the Rapha team jacket when not on sale). The cut and construction is superb. The red color is shockingly bright and visible. The shiny black trim is something only Assos would do. You'll still sweat if you were too many layers under it. It is "packable" in a jersey but only if you don't mind stretching out the pocket. The cut is a bit more generous than the Rapha team rain jacket but not as loose as the Showers Pass elite pro

I like it a bit better than the Showers Pass. It's a nicer construction and for me a better fit - Shower's Pass sizes just don't work well for me - but again, its about twice the price.

Note: I think this is a great jacket for rainy "cycling." The best I've had for commuting was a Sugoi - bright yellow, lined, side zips that went from the waist up, big back flap, extra layer of material on shoulders for pack strap abrasion - it is a bombproof jacket. The Showers Pass Elite 2.1 is very similar, a bit llghter. Both have what I'd describe as a bit of a "baggy" fit.

Finally, The Showers Pass softshell has also been a great jacket for me for commuting and one or two hour rides in showers or soft dizzly days. Also very warm and nicely cut.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Showers Pass also has the adjustable sleeves, which also provide great venting. That and the pit zips work pretty well. I have a Sugoi Hydrolite which is way more packable though. It is not totally waterproof but would do the job for an hour if it.s not torrential. A really cheap option ($30) I did not see mentioned is the RSI O2. These are those very basic yellow jackets and rainpants. Fit like a sack, no pit zips.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Showers Pass also has the adjustable sleeves, which also provide great venting. That and the pit zips work pretty well. I have a Sugoi Hydrolite which is way more packable though. It is not totally waterproof but would do the job for an hour if it.s not torrential. A really cheap option ($30) I did not see mentioned is the RSI O2. These are those very basic yellow jackets and rainpants. Fit like a sack, no pit zips.
Yup, cheap, made from Tyvek...like $35..breathes like Goretex at fraction of the $.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 262-15702-2.jpg (45.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rain jacket choice is not about water management, but about temperature management. You will get wet regardless of what rain jacket you choose. Pick the one that will best regulate the temperature that you want to maintain while turning the pedals. A heavy one when it is cold, a light weight one when it is warm, and a vest when it is hot.
1+
no perfect single garment for all purposes

depends on how cold it is outside, but also depends a lot on hard you'll be riding, i.e. how much heat you'll be generating
can't forget we have control over a pretty hot furnace

mellow pace - hardshell, waterproof
hard pace - soft-shell/hardshell, windproof

layering of course is key (bigger saddle bag)

most important might be taking care of extremities that don't get as much heat from the core - hands, feet, ears