Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 PM

*Where do you live: Waco, TX (originally from Fort Wayne, IN)
*Explanation of your forum handle: Back in the day I had a Bridgestone road bike that was powder coated bright red. For some inexplicable reason, I out-climbed my buddies by a sizeable margin one day and someone was overheard saying "guys, we've got to crack the red tornado {hint of sarcasm} up there".
*Explanation of your avatar: Just a cool Campy button a friend found and gave to me; thought it would be a unique avatar....
*How did you find the Paceline: Random Internet browsing
*Favorite Bike: Colnago Master Olympic
*What’s in your stable: Colnago, Masi Gran Criterium, Diamondback Century (backup road bike, occaisional CX bike), Specialized Hardrock MTB (my son's) & a 70's Huffy 1-speed tandem
*Fastest speed on your bike: 47 mph Where: Lake Shore drive, Waco, TX When: Summer 2011
*How many miles did you ride last year: ~4,000
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together.
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question: I've been married for 22 years and have 3 kids.
*What is the biggest lie you ever told: Told some one "I already had a girlfriend".
*Tell us something fun: I am right-handed, but I bat & golf left-handed.

2009 Dad 1.jpg

Alcoa Bike 1.jpg

Last edited by Red Tornado; 02-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 PM

I look like my avatar and user name was computer generated by an unbreakable algorithm.

This is truth.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 PM

*Real Name Ed
*Where do you live? Chicago, IL (Originally from Charlotte, NC)
*Explanation of your forum handle. Oh Snap! It's Ed!
*Age (General or specific). 26
*Occupation. Account Manager @ Digital Ad Company
*How did you find the Paceline? Friend in cycle club
*Favorite Bike. CX bike
*What’s in your stable? Masi Special CX, Focus Cayo, Specialized something or another, Bianchi FG Lite Liquigas, Bianchi Volpe
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? 53.5mph decending @ Tour of Galena
*How many miles did you ride last year? 6,000(ish)

*Tell us something fun. I have two German Shepherd mixes. biggest laziest mutts you will ever meet.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM

*Where do you live: southeastern Pennsylvania, Chester County
*Forum handle: been climbing since 1966 when pitons were regularly used to protect rock climbers. My full nickname was; PitonPat, King River Rat (referring to the kayaking & canoeing that I did as well)
*Avatar: that's me on the summit of the Aiguille de L'M in the Mont Blanc range, Chamonix, France
*Occupation: building contractor- yeah, I drive one of those nasty 4x4 pickup trucks, too!
*Found the Paceline: noodling around online when my biking interest was rekindled while training for a climbing trip in the French Alps with my son.
*Favorite bike: my most recent one... 2000 Seven Axiom titanium w/ full Campy Record
*In my stable: the old bike, 2006 LeMond Etape
*Fastest? 46mph (according to my Sigma computer), here in rural Pennsyltucky
*How many miles/yr: around 2000-3000
*Add'l question: Did I ever expect to discover riding with my adult son & daughter in my 60's? Well no, but I'm sure enjoying it
*Biggest lie: but Honey, the new bike only cost 600 bucks!
*Something fun: riding my bike caused me to have a couple of minor heart attacks... I survived, got a stent, and now I'm fixed (and more cognizant of my health)... so that's fun.
*Photo: on a recent ride with my son in Hinesburg, VT-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fays Corners.jpg (82.5 KB, 954 views)

Last edited by pitonpat; 03-07-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Administrator

welcome Pat, great story you've got there.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:57 AM

*Real Name - Ted
*Where do you live? Richmond, British Columbia
*Explanation of your forum handle - no real meaning, a nick name from childhood friends
*Explanation of your avatar - none yet
*Age - 46 (but with a mind of 17)
*Occupation - bean counter
*How did you find the Paceline - from a buddy who is a forum member
*Favorite Bike - Andrew Bertin C34 (my first race bike, had it since I am 16)
*What’s in your stable - totally forgot, but answer to my wife is 1
*Fastest speed of a bike you’ve taken down? Where? When? - 58 m/hr, on a downhill section of local hill.
*How many riders did you take down last year? - 1 (myself)
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together - coming
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question - yes, I am an A$$ when I ride, a slow A$$
*What is the biggest lie you ever told - no, I will never take the bike to my bedroom
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
*Real Name - Ted
*Where do you live? Richmond, British Columbia
*Explanation of your forum handle - no real meaning, a nick name from childhood friends
*Explanation of your avatar - none yet
*Age - 46 (but with a mind of 17)
*Occupation - bean counter
*How did you find the Paceline - from a buddy who is a forum member
*Favorite Bike - Andrew Bertin C34 (my first race bike, had it since I am 16)
*What’s in your stable - totally forgot, but answer to my wife is 1
*Fastest speed of a bike you’ve taken down? Where? When? - 58 m/hr, on a downhill section of local hill.
*How many riders did you take down last year? - 1 (myself)
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together - coming
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question - yes, I am an A$$ when I ride, a slow A$$
*What is the biggest lie you ever told - no, I will never take the bike to my bedroom
Welcome Tedski!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM

real name? howdy - i'm colin.
where do you live? i'm currently living in nyc
how old are you? i'm 20+11 years old
occupation? i'm currently working with nbc on their sustainability management strategy and with the red hook criterium as the course director for their brooklyn-based races

i grew up in new england riding mtbs. i moved out to california after school and really got into bikes since they are by far the best way to get around that city - everything else is too slow. i starting riding fixed gear and then moved into road bikes (and my knees are most thankful)
the fastest i've ever gone? hawk hill - no garmin, no rules - so no idea how i fast i was going.
bike i miss the most? blue sparkle guerciotti slx with a mishmash of campy on it.

i pared down since moving back east so i'm currently riding a bridgestone xo-3 and a time elite vx that i'm looking to trade for another road bike.

i sometimes look like this - if you see me in nyc, say hello!

hope to see folks out on the roads.

Last edited by thisistecumseh; 08-18-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 AM
#bottlestorage

Who are you (and what do you look like)?

*Real Name Paul Peterson
*Where do you live? Elllicott City, Maryland
*Explanation of your forum handle. I played Rugby in college and men's clubs after college. When I first signed up for eBay in 1999ish, this was my original handle...I have used it online since as a way of keeping things simple. The fewer things to remember, the better.
*Explanation of your avatar. Safety first...
*Age (General or specific). 37
*Occupation. Space and Construction manager for the US Courts, starting a small business based on a product I invented, ZERO | G Storage. https://www.facebook.com/zero.g.storage
*How did you find the Paceline? I bought a used Serotta from a Craigslist ad, and I knew nothing about the brand. The Paceline (Serotta) forum was/is the premier resource for all things Serotta, so here I be.
*Favorite Bike. My Kelly Bedford Sport Tourer with S and S Couplers
*What’s in your stable? Bedford Sport Tourer, Bedford Club Racer, Surly Travelers Check, Cyfac Triathlon bike, Redline Monocog SS MTB
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? No clue, I don't use a gauge or device when riding.
*How many miles did you ride last year? No clue. I don't track mileage.
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Do you ride much still? Not as much, but I still enjoy it. I have been doing CrossFit and Running quite a bit more, as well as being busy with family and other obligations. I have recently started windsurfing again, so that is cool. I seem to get my fitness elsewhere, but my freedom from my bike.
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? This is the last bike honey, I promise.
*Tell us something fun. I suck at teaching my kids how to ride bikes. I don't know if it is me specifically, or my methods or if, as a cyclist, I make it too complicated. My wife is awesome at it. I watch, clap, maybe jog along side them, but I completely suck at it. What is fun about that you ask? That I get to be a spectator, which doesn't happen as much as I would like as a parent.

Here are some photos I think are cool. Thoughtful Paul, Party Paul, Family Paul, and Competitive Paul...that about sums it up.

62589_10151905274116164_1301387083_n.jpg

10464294_10153055885611164_2601167742802642844_n.jpg

4755_115875641163_3947602_n.jpg

1511480_10152646508021164_1301354723_n.jpg
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Total Fred

About time for an updated version!

*Real Name Tai Lee
*Where do you live? Seattle, WA
*Explanation of your forum handle. I'm Chinese and I aspire to be a rock star.
*Explanation of your avatar. My old dog Kirin who is no longer with me.
*Age (General or specific). Born in '77...37 this year.
*Occupation. Commercial Real Estate Broker
*How did you find the Paceline? Bobswire
*Favorite Bike. Gunnar CrossHairs gravel/all-arounder build
*What’s in your stable? Davidson Impulse, Colnago Master X Light, Colnago Oval Master, Eddy Merckx Professional SLX, Look KG 481, Co-Motion Nor'Wester S&S, Seven Alaris, Soma Double Cross Disc, Santana Noventa tandem, Double Dutch cargo bike, and several unbuilt (Colnago C40, Lemond Maillot Jaune, etc).
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? 56mph descending from Sandia Peak back to ABQ, NM. Sometime in the late 90's.
*How many miles did you ride last year? No idea...I almost never use electronics anymore but it was not enough.
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together. I train a group of triathletes (but I don't race)...I'm on the far right

And goofing off with my cargo bike

*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Have I ever flipped off a motorist? Of course not.
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? I never lie.
*Tell us something fun. I previously directed a six-day charity bike ride down the Oregon Coast that was effectively a six-day pub crawl.

Last edited by KidWok; 10-16-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 AM

Hi everyone, Ben from Australia. 40 yo engineer. Long time lurker first time poster.
Used to race in high school abt 1989-1990 on my dad's Puch Laser (high tensile steel with Sachs Huret gears- too poor to afford campagnolo or cinelli). It's still a great smooth ride- long wheelbase.
Then no road riding till 2002 when I got hooked via triathlon.
Now keen campyophile, (haven't got the tattoo yet).
Currently piecing together a Puch Superleicht (I have a thing for Austrian bikes) with 9 speed downtube index shifters, Cinelli bar and stem, Brooks cambium, 9 speed era chorus crankset, wheels undecided.

A technical issue is I'm wanting to reply to thread:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149104
Re dog ear washers for down tube braze ons but I cannot post, if mods are reading this can they enable account. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Hi Ben,

You don't have enough posts to be able to post in the classifieds section. The reason is posted in the "Rules For Posting" in that section. Otherwise, welcome to the forum, join in the conversations and pretty soon you'll have enough posts to participate there as well.

William
Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 AM

*Real Name (first or full - up to you)
Matthew Ecock

*Where do you live?
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

*Explanation of your forum handle.
I watch a lot of anime, and have a small fascination with Japanese history. I chose this word specifically because my initials 'M.A.E.' are the last 3 letters

*Age (General or specific).

*Occupation.
Truck driver for The Beer Store

*How did you find the Paceline?
I was google searching for a 'Vetta Corsa' bicycle helmet for a 'Honey I Shrunk the Kids' costume. Not an easy helmet to locate!

*Favorite Bike.
My bike

*What’s in your stable?
Picture attached below.

*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When?
Don't even know how to tell how fast I'm going. Maybe between 20 and 30 km/h going downhill on paved road, heading home from a friends house there's a nice stretch of downhill road.

*Tell us something fun.
I spend a lot of time playing video games, and boardgames. Currently I think I have 50+ different tabletop games in my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140917_083841.jpg (56.5 KB, 996 views)
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM

*Real Name (first or full - up to you) – Wayne

*Where do you live? – Central MA

*Explanation of your forum handle. – Title character from short-lived television show in the 80s that my brothers decided I reminded them of.

*Explanation of your avatar. – Haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe I'll take a promotional photo from the aforementioned TV series.

*Age (General or specific). – Old enough to remember my Scoutmaster's Cannondale from the mid-80s. That was such an alien looking bike to me. I guess he did something right since his son briefly rode for US Postal.

*Occupation. –·R&D for medical technology.

*How did you find the Paceline? – When I acquired a Gios Torino Super Record from 1980 (there's that decade again, I'm sensing a trend), I found some very interesting posts in the Paceline. Then I found out that Peter Chisholm had take up residence here and that sealed the deal.

*Favorite Bike. – Such a loaded question. Right now it's my 1999 Trek 2500 because it's been such a reliable workhorse and I love the wheels that I built after taking inspiration from Sheldon Brown's and Peter's posts on rec.bicycles.tech.

*What’s in your stable? –·The aforementioned Trek and Gios Torino and a Gary Fisher Joshua that I made more betterer with a proper rear shock and a Fox fork.

*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? – 53.5 mph barreling down a hill in Vermont earlier this summer. At least that's the fastest I have a record of.

*Tell us something fun. –·Regarding that kid that ended up riding for US Postal, when we were working on the cycling merit badge, I definitely beat him in all the unofficial sprints. Might be because he was 11 and I was 14 but I beat him!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:52 PM

I'm Peter.

Live in Westchester County, NY.

Love to ride...road, mtb, as much as possible.

Got a Kona Raijin rigid ss, and a Parlee Z3 for the road, Hakkalugi for the dirt roads, SC Highball, currently geared and rigid, as a backup.

Anyway, joined a while back but haven't done much but lurk...

SPP