Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Thanks! I got really lucky with the classifieds, being the third in line to snag Toddtwenty2's 585 and the thing kicks ass. Yeah, it's not a rocket ship like my Emonda SLR, but it's stiff enough that I don't feel efforts are wasted, and more importantly, it's compliant enough for long distance rides in a way that I've not experienced before (in carbon).
I owned 4 different 585 frames over a 10-12 year period. And for sure, I rode more centuries on those frames than everything else I've owned, combined.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Lord, I finally, somehow, managed to obtain one of these in the right size (medium), and it's an '07 Origin with the nude carbon paint scheme. The ride is shockingly good, and I'm honestly saddened that none of the carbon frames I've had even come close to the ride quality. Has Look ever considered re-issuing the 585 in a limited run of pre-orders?
I've held off snatching one of these because of the sizing itself. Do you mind telling what size on a standard frame you'd ride.

I prefer 55/56cm old steel frames and have been trying to figure out what's the right size in terms of a 585.

thanks!
Old 12-28-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I've held off snatching one of these because of the sizing itself. Do you mind telling what size on a standard frame you'd ride.

I prefer 55/56cm old steel frames and have been trying to figure out what's the right size in terms of a 585.

thanks!
Probably an “L”.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:

thanks!
Here’s a ‘L’… which I suspect would almost be a ‘medium’ with some other manufacturers.

Saddle height is 75.5 cm, and reach from saddle tip to bars is 54 cm with a 100 mm stem and 20 mm setback Campy Record post.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:

thanks!
I've really gotten away from trying to match against traditional frame sizes, since the STA + reach seems way more important for me (74° & 383/6), but if I think back, I'm usually most comfortable on a 55, which is the most inconvenient size. 56 and I'm too extended, but the stack is right; 54 and extension feels fine, but stack setup looks idiotic. I am cursed with short arms.

I went with a Medium 585, erring on the side of smaller, knowing I could make it up with a longer stem and some spacers. The 396 reach on the large was a no-go for me, since extended reach would mess with my back and running a <=90mm stem is just silly.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:44 PM

Last edited by ZeKGB; 01-09-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Lord, I finally, somehow, managed to obtain one of these in the right size (medium), and it's an '07 Origin with the nude carbon paint scheme. The ride is shockingly good, and I'm honestly saddened that none of the carbon frames I've had even come close to the ride quality. Has Look ever considered re-issuing the 585 in a limited run of pre-orders?
I've been riding my Aethos for a few weeks and while it is obviously a fine bike the thing that struck me is that it doesn't ride significantly better than the 585, even when accounting for the fact that I'm running 30mm tires on the Aethos vs. the 28mm I was able to run with the Look. I was on the fence about it, but I've decided I'm definitely building up another one if I can find a non-Optimum small frame.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKGB View Post
I've been riding my Aethos for a few weeks and while it is obviously a fine bike the thing that struck me is that it doesn't ride significantly better than the 585, even when accounting for the fact that I'm running 30mm tires on the Aethos vs. the 28mm I was able to run with the Look. I was on the fence about it, but I've decided I'm definitely building up another one if I can find a non-Optimum small frame.
I don't have a whole lot of good to say about the Aethos, but that's a very "me" thing. The geometry favors those with a longer torso, so my wife loves hers.

You're right on, though: hop on an ancient 585 after riding something modern and really have to wonder what the hell the industry has been doing for the past 15 years... it's certainly nothing to do with composites engineering, that's for sure. Seems mostly like dicking consumers around with gimmicks like BB standards, gravel, and aero junk.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:13 PM

The 585 is an awful lot of greatness in a road bike for anyone who is not competing in the World Tour. I’m very happy I own three of them. It’s also satisfying to own one Origin and two Ultras. Basically a lifetime supply.

If I would change anything it would be to have a couple more sizes. The previous 481/381 had a size for every centimeter. I think more than S, M, L, XL and XXL would have been nice. I would also like a bit more flexibility with tire sizing, but that wasn’t really a thing yet when these bikes were sold.

An XL Ultra is my go-to daily rider and it’s plenty stiff for where I am today as a rider. It seems to be stiffer to me than the Origin and the ride isn’t maybe quite as sweet as the Origin.

I’m glad I don’t need to find one.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:53 PM
Back At It!

I hope to find an Optimum one day.. I was all set (had sent the money) to buy Toddtwenty2's 585 (you can thank me later, krooj) when I looked at the reach and knew it wouldn't work (or at least had a real good idea).. thankfully Todd was an absolute gentlemen and refunded my money (minus some for lunch on me)..

so, anyone have a medium 585 Optimum?
Old 01-09-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I hope to find an Optimum one day.. I was all set (had sent the money) to buy Toddtwenty2's 585 (you can thank me later, krooj) when I looked at the reach and knew it wouldn't work (or at least had a real good idea).. thankfully Todd was an absolute gentlemen and refunded my money (minus some for lunch on me)..

so, anyone have a medium 585 Optimum?
It's kinda funny - had you received the frame and decided it wasn't for you, I could've easily driven up from the city and snagged it

If you're open to Ti, try to find one of the last generation Vamoots with rim braking and a 44mm HT - the reach figures are really generous.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:54 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
It's kinda funny - had you received the frame and decided it wasn't for you, I could've easily driven up from the city and snagged it

If you're open to Ti, try to find one of the last generation Vamoots with rim braking and a 44mm HT - the reach figures are really generous.
good to know on the Vamoots!

yeah, I had thought about the frame getting sent to the Bay Area anyway..
Old 01-09-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I don't have a whole lot of good to say about the Aethos, but that's a very "me" thing. The geometry favors those with a longer torso, so my wife loves hers.

You're right on, though: hop on an ancient 585 after riding something modern and really have to wonder what the hell the industry has been doing for the past 15 years... it's certainly nothing to do with composites engineering, that's for sure. Seems mostly like dicking consumers around with gimmicks like BB standards, gravel, and aero junk.
Yeah I seem to have your wife's dimensions and interestingly the 52cm Aethos has almost identical geometry to my 51cm 585. I'm assuming you ride the Optimum geometry? https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/l...ethos-2021-52/
Old 01-09-2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKGB View Post
Yeah I seem to have your wife's dimensions and interestingly the 52cm Aethos has almost identical geometry to my 51cm 585. I'm assuming you ride the Optimum geometry? https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/l...ethos-2021-52/
Actually no - I'm on an Origin in a Medium. 386mm seems to be my happy spot when it comes to reach, and I usually go for a 74° STA, but the 585 is close enough, at 73.75°. I think the thing which gets me about the Aethos is that the 54 felt too small and the 56 was too big. I demoed both sizes before selecting a 56 and tried to make that thing work for over a year and in the end I just _hated it_. I always felt like I was being drawn and quartered over the thing, but going down to a 54 would've resulted in a stupid stack and more toe overlap than is comfortable. I'll definitely reconsider if/when they revise the thing with a new geo, though.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Actually no - I'm on an Origin in a Medium. 386mm seems to be my happy spot when it comes to reach, and I usually go for a 74° STA, but the 585 is close enough, at 73.75°. I think the thing which gets me about the Aethos is that the 54 felt too small and the 56 was too big. I demoed both sizes before selecting a 56 and tried to make that thing work for over a year and in the end I just _hated it_. I always felt like I was being drawn and quartered over the thing, but going down to a 54 would've resulted in a stupid stack and more toe overlap than is comfortable. I'll definitely reconsider if/when they revise the thing with a new geo, though.

Oh yes I see that now, I guess I'm lucky that the small size lines up so well.