Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
Diesel ProMasters are now starting to go out of warranty. Multiple people are paying $5k-$8k for DEF/emissions related failures... The vehicle's ECM goes into complete shutdown if you ignore the service light for too long. Hasn't happened to me, but it's a concern. Don't know if any pickups are having the same general issue.
It's a 3.0 liter Diesel in a van, not related to pickups. DEF is a Boogeyman. From what I've seen, deleting the DEF is problematic and unnecessary in a modern diesel pickup. My F250 produces close to 500 Hp and 1000 foot pounds of torque with DEF. I keep all emissions stock and my truck won't smoke no matter how hard I try.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:15 PM

The other issue to be aware of with diesel engines is fuel pump failures. Depending on model year all 3 have been plagued with this issues. In short the fuel pump grenades and sends parts through your fuel rails. Repairs run anywhere from 10 - 15 thousand.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
It's a 3.0 liter Diesel in a van, not related to pickups. DEF is a Boogeyman. From what I've seen, deleting the DEF is problematic and unnecessary in a modern diesel pickup. My F250 produces close to 500 Hp and 1000 foot pounds of torque with DEF. I keep all emissions stock and my truck won't smoke no matter how hard I try.
Its not the DEF per se, its how complex things have become. I wouldn't delete it either. My EGR is deleted on my 6.0 b/c it was a known failure point.
I think Ford mostly has it right with the 6.7, but unless I needed a diesel to haul 10-12k regularly I wouldn't buy a new one, just too much money and complexity.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:11 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Buy a gas Ford 7.3...
I was going to post the same thing. F250/350 w 7.3 Godzilla. I prefer it over the GMC and Ram gas counterparts. For diesel, I’d probably go Ram.

I have an F150 w Max Tow package and I’d not want to regularly tow 8k lbs. Especially if you’re traveling and will deal with steep mtn grades, wind, adverse weather. The sure-footedness of a 3/4 or 1 ton has value.

One other thing to consider if you’re going south of the border. The availability of ULSD.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:35 PM

I would not rule out HD rams until you drive one. IMO they have the nicest and most comfortable interior of any HD truck. The Cummins is unbelievably solid and will tow 8k like it’s not there.
With a travel trailer at 8k it’s going to catch a lot of wind, I’d want a HD no matter what the brand. 1/2 ton is not enough truck if it were me.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I’d want a HD no matter what the brand. 1/2 ton is not enough truck if it were me.
I would agree with that, especially if you plan to tow back and forth across the country. Whatever makes your life less stressful on those long drives is 100% worth it.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:08 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 'mission creep' is going to creep in. That and 2' itis. Buy the big truck now cause one of y'all is going to want more room pretty quickly. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Drive em all and determine which one YOU like best cause it is pretty much Campy/Shimano/SRAM debate. All the trucks have good points and bad points.

M
Old 04-13-2024, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
8,000# is really not that much weight.

It totally depends on what your budget is. If the sky is the limit, the new 2500 Silverado with the gas engine and forget you ever heard the word diesel. No need with a trailer that light.

You could certainly do the job with a bigger engine 1500 too.
Ain't happening. Not in a truck.
Old 04-13-2024, 08:54 PM

The weight of the trailer is only part of the consideration, the other is tongue weight / payload. I am sure people will recommend a half-ton, don't listen to them as it's a bad idea IME.

Moving on - check out the tongue weight + payload combination and make a decision about 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. There really isn't a huge difference in ride quality once loaded down but the 1 ton (aka 3500 / 350) gets you a little more margin for error.

The Fords are more expensive but they are a bit nicer inside. Especially the newest ones. Ford stuff is a little more bomber than Chevy but both are plenty reliable if you do normal maintenance. RAM is a tossup - the trucks are super nice inside if talking about the new stuff and the Cummins engines have always been good products but lots of reports of build quality issues and the trucks rusting quickly compared to Ford / Chevy.

The gas vs diesel debate is as old as time. With a new truck it's like an $8-10k cost differential, which is substantial. Will you net out $10k in fuel savings? That math gets a little fuzzier if you're buying used. But diesel gets significantly better mileage when towing than gas does - no two ways about it. Diesel also just straight up tows better - look at the torque figures and where they are in the powerband, it's not even worth comparing. If you'll be out west a lot I'd absolutely factor this in - climbing a steep grade at elevation with a trailer the last thing I'd want to be worried about is my truck struggling.

A used diesel could be a good way to go if trying to stay in budget. If going Ford, the 6.7 is a little bit better than the 6.0 or 6.4 as a generalization. RAM will get you the best value but I'd definitely get something newer if you change your mind about their trucks.

Last edited by Pinned; 04-13-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:10 PM

For your use....I think I would prefer a gas version of something like a Ford F250, or Chevy, GMC, or Ram equivalent (Hemi V8). My lawn crew guy has a HD Toyota large pickup with large V8 that tows well, and is reasonably fuel efficient. All the pickup truck manufacturers make a heavy duty version of their large pickups. (I just don't like fueling diesel)
Old 04-13-2024, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
The weight of the trailer is only part of the consideration, the other is tongue weight / payload. I am sure people will recommend a half-ton, don't listen to them as it's a bad idea IME.

Moving on - check out the tongue weight + payload combination and make a decision about 3/4 ton vs 1 ton. There really isn't a huge difference in ride quality once loaded down but the 1 ton (aka 3500 / 350) gets you a little more margin for error.

The Fords are more expensive but they are a bit nicer inside. Especially the newest ones. Ford stuff is a little more bomber than Chevy but both are plenty reliable if you do normal maintenance. RAM is a tossup - the trucks are super nice inside if talking about the new stuff and the Cummins engines have always been good products but lots of reports of build quality issues and the trucks rusting quickly compared to Ford / Chevy.

The gas vs diesel debate is as old as time. With a new truck it's like an $8-10k cost differential, which is substantial. Will you net out $10k in fuel savings? That math gets a little fuzzier if you're buying used. But diesel gets significantly better mileage when towing than gas does - no two ways about it. Diesel also just straight up tows better - look at the torque figures and where they are in the powerband, it's not even worth comparing. If you'll be out west a lot I'd absolutely factor this in - climbing a steep grade at elevation with a trailer the last thing I'd want to be worried about is my truck struggling.

A used diesel could be a good way to go if trying to stay in budget. If going Ford, the 6.7 is a little bit better than the 6.0 or 6.4 as a generalization. RAM will get you the best value but I'd definitely get something newer if you change your mind about their trucks.
That's me, I'm out west, and I pull my trailer from NW Arizona to central Wyoming over a few passes and steepish descents. We travel through the Navajo Reservation and Monument Valley which is anything but flat. From Rifle, CO, to Rawlins, WY, has several climbs but is the least evil of the routes. The east entrance to Yellowstone has a big climb and descent at high elevation and I always hope I don't get stuck behind a gas truck or RV on the climbs. A turbo diesel is awesome at elevation and long climbs. Traveling to eastern Wyoming requires pulling over the Bighorns on Highway 14 or 16 with some pretty sketchy descents. I won't do 14A into Lovell, it's too steep in both directions.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:40 PM

I've got a 2022 F250 that we bought to pull a 2 horse trailer and haul a truck camper, many times both at the same time. With the big 7.3 gasser we never had an issue or felt underpowered. Thankfully we sold the horses and now travel in a Winnebago class B so the truck is now an over built firewood hauler and errand vehicle. I should trade it for a smaller more economical truck, but I hesitate because I like the power and it's paid for!
Old 04-14-2024, 12:49 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've owned neither an RV nor a truck (unless you count my '70 Impala, which was big enough...) so I have ask, what are the downsides of a Class B RV compared to a truck + trailer? Cost? Given how expensive trucks are these days, the Class B might not be that much more, and a lot easier to drive around.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I've owned neither an RV nor a truck (unless you count my '70 Impala, which was big enough...) so I have ask, what are the downsides of a Class B RV compared to a truck + trailer? Cost? Given how expensive trucks are these days, the Class B might not be that much more, and a lot easier to drive around.
Prices vary a lot, but our class B was more expensive than our 5th wheel trailer and diesel pickup combo. The class B is definitely easier to drive, but its disadvantage is not having transportation after you set up camp.
Old 04-14-2024, 01:45 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
its disadvantage is not having transportation after you set up camp.
That's what the bikes are for!

Tags
new tundra, toyota