Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 01:03 PM

This bike looks a little longer/lower than the Domane but a little taller/shorter than the Defy.

I am curious if these downtube storage things end up being lighter than a saddle bag.

They certainly would keep tools lasting longer in bad weather if they seal up.

I am totally in love with the idea of N=1 if it wasn't for maintenance downtime.

Last edited by benb; 04-11-2024 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post

This bike is a good idea. I get so many inquiries from people who want high stack and low drop on fast but comfortable carbon road bikes. This reminds me of the new Giant Defy in a lot of ways: A performance bike that less flexible people can enjoy without making any comfort/fit compromises.
This is me. I really like this bike. The geo looks spot on, wish I could see one in person.

How much does a full build weigh?

Last edited by shoota; 04-11-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
This is me. I really like this bike. The geo looks spot on, wish I could see one in person.

It is me too. I like the comments about old guys and no drop.

Don’t forget about the not yet so old guys that have long legs and arms that don’t seem to match!

My stigmata setup for me, which most people would label as tall and relaxed, had an extreme saddle to bar drop that most wouldn’t want on their cat 3/4 road race bike.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It is me too. I like the comments about old guys and no drop.

Don’t forget about the not yet so old guys that have long legs and arms that don’t seem to match!

My stigmata setup for me, which most people would label as tall and relaxed, had an extreme saddle to bar drop that most wouldn’t want on their cat 3/4 road race bike.
Or those of us with poor low back flexibility and short arms. I'm not old but I need the T-Rex geo bikes.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:30 PM
Vendor

I like the downtube storage on my Mog much more than a saddlebag. Mainly because it looks better, but also even more mainly because having the weight of your baggage in the downtube doesn't affect the handling feel when out of the saddle like having a saddle bag does.
Warning: I once got a glove shoved way up into the downtube storage to the point where it was basically head tube storage. Many mighty fine bike mechanics and adroit tool users were unable to extricate it. Thank goodness my girlfriend spent a year in Japan and is amazing with chopsticks.

[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've never seen her so pleased with herself. Except maybe when she 'smoked me' up the biggest hill in the neighborhood on her (e)bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
This bike looks a little longer/lower than the Domane but a little taller/shorter than the Defy.

I am curious if these downtube storage things end up being lighter than a saddle bag.

They certainly would keep tools lasting longer in bad weather if they seal up.

I am totally in love with the idea of N=1 if it wasn't for maintenance downtime.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:

My Melee is 17 lbs on the nose, with XTR pedals, Enve cages, and an out-front mount. Built with Force 1x, 48 x 10-44, and Enve 4.5 wheels.

My Mog, ready to ride with pedals, mounts, with G23 wheels and 38 x 9-44 Ekar, is a smiiiiiiidge under 18 lbs.

So I'd be comfortable saying that 'real weight' is in the 17-18 range built with nice wheels and Force/Ultegra level stuff, and 'w/o pedals or cages' weight would be in the low to mid 16's.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:37 PM

Tan sidewalls and that purple tape look really classy on that bike.

Gotta love the understated graphics.

These "tall/short" bikes are always going to fit me better no matter what. I can lay my palms on the floor with ease with locked knees and arched back. That still doesn't make a long/low frame fit me. These bikes are quite close to what gets drawn up if I enquire about a custom frame. Almost dead on to what Seven recommended to me a few years ago.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
My Melee is 17 lbs on the nose, with XTR pedals, Enve cages, and an out-front mount. Built with Force 1x, 48 x 10-44, and Enve 4.5 wheels.

My Mog, ready to ride with pedals, mounts, with G23 wheels and 38 x 9-44 Ekar, is a smiiiiiiidge under 18 lbs.

So I'd be comfortable saying that 'real weight' is in the 17-18 range built with nice wheels and Force/Ultegra level stuff, and 'w/o pedals or cages' weight would be in the low to mid 16's.
Thanks. Not gonna lie, it's hard coming from a tight geo pure race bike that weighs 15lbs to almost 18lbs. I get the ride comfort and aero and all that but the WW in me dies a little inside when I see those weights.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
All of those lack the tire clearance. Perhaps people don’t necessarily need 40mm clearance but considering fenders, it’d be nice to ride 35’s with plenty of clearance for fenders.

Trek Domane is an option but probably heavier.
The just-released update of the BMC Roadmachine now has 40mm clearance, so that's likely the closest direct competitor, even down to the downtube storage. There are 2 levels of carbon for BMC, the standard is likely to be significantly cheaper than the Enve, but heavier, and the 01 would probably be directly comparable, but also pretty spendy. And neither is available as frameset/module at the moment.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Not gonna lie, it's hard coming from a tight geo pure race bike that weighs 15lbs to almost 18lbs. I get the ride comfort and aero and all that but the WW in me dies a little inside when I see those weights.
It's all fine except they want $10,000 for all these bikes.

$10,000 and +2-3lbs weight over your old bike that cost $5000 is hard to stomach. With the way they market everything the $10k bike should be aero and 15lbs even in a 58 or a 61.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:28 PM

I like the green paint, but that's about it. That said, I don't really think I'm the market for this bike.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:35 PM

Enve has something new coming April 11th

Hmmm, so downtube storage is now a key differentiator? I see it as a plus, but by no means anything other than a nice addition and certainly not a factor in any future bike purchase. I am not the audience for this, but if I were then that Vitus Venon with carbon wheels currently listed for $3K on eBay would be in my home right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by fried bake; 04-11-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It's all fine except they want $10,000 for all these bikes.

$10,000 and +2-3lbs weight over your old bike that cost $5000 is hard to stomach. With the way they market everything the $10k bike should be aero and 15lbs even in a 58 or a 61.
Another forum member let me know about a site to consider ordering the fray from and I checked other bikes while there. a 3t exploro racemax in my size with Ekar and decent wheels is listed for 2499.99. I’m fairly confident that bike will do everything the Enve will do (for me) but it doesn’t have DT storage
Old 04-11-2024, 02:40 PM

Probably a key differentiator for the riders who think having a saddle bag is akin to getting caught naked in public.

That has always been a pretty firm dividing line between those who just throw stuff in a saddle bag and the jersey pocket stuffers. If you're a jersey pocket stuffer downtube storage is probably a revelation.

I've always been a new set of tools + gear for each bike and put it in a saddle bag person. I don't want all that stuff in my pockets and I don't want to forget it and bring the wrong thing. I seem to end up with my pockets full of clothes anyway with the weather constantly goes bananas here.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:46 PM

I like the DT storage because it then allows for a clean mounting position of the garmin varia on the saddle rails without losing a water bottle for my setup.

I use a half bottle with tools in my seat tube water bottle cage and for longer rides needing two bottles put the tools in my pocket or use a bag for really long rides…