Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 01:02 PM

I had very little success with CBD or CBD:THC for sleep issues... I did however, find out I had low iron/borderline anemia (for years....apparently) and, with iron supplementation, things with sleep have slowly improved.
Apparently cyclists/endurance folks sweat out iron. Who knew? 🤦*♂️
Old 04-11-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Anyway, maybe I'll treat myself to one after this evening's yoga workout....
Don’t forget the bowling tape
Attached Images
File Type: gif IMG_1715.gif (30.1 KB, 165 views)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:33 PM

Is there any source I can trust for quality in these things? My wife desperately needs to sleep but is rightly skeptical of unregulated supplements.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:24 AM

My only data point are my friends who started with CBD. They would watch Goose at Red Rocks whilst petting their dog's fur into oblivion. Next they tried THC and graduated to snorting oxycodone.

Last edited by holliscx; 04-12-2024 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Is there any source I can trust for quality in these things? My wife desperately needs to sleep but is rightly skeptical of unregulated supplements.
These are what I am using. One is a balm for aches and pains and the other are drops infused with MCT oil.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 AM

I live where THC is legal. I used to take ambien since when I would work out late I would be so wound up I could not sleep. Got to be a daily habit. Switched to at first a strong CBD and THC gummy and weened my way down to a very mild one.

What really messes with my sleep is alcohol. Now I limit myself to two craft beers and weekend only. I do have a beer and a NA after and will repeat that once. Monitoring my sleep I sleep more deep sleep and have better overall sleep when I don’t have any alcohol or very little alcohol.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
What really messes with my sleep is alcohol. Now I limit myself to two craft beers and weekend only. I do have a beer and a NA after and will repeat that once. Monitoring my sleep I sleep more deep sleep and have better overall sleep when I don’t have any alcohol or very little alcohol.
I'm finding this to be true as well. While I've been constantly working on the new house for several months, I haven't been getting any "real" exercise at all. A few beers may relieve some mental stress during the day, but it screws up my sleep for sure. Just one day of not drinking may not improve my sleep that night, but two or three consecutive non-alcoholic days definitely makes a difference.

Ah, the joys of aging.

ETA: I've read a couple of articles in the past year or so which have offered evidence (studies?) that while alcohol may help you GO to sleep, there's a sort of rebound effect which makes you less likely to STAY asleep. Your sleep is likely to be less restful and prone to waking up. I'm not now, and never have been, in the medical field, but this also aligns with my personal experience.

Last edited by reuben; 04-12-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM

THC is legal where I live and I have started to drink the occasional THC seltzer. Like others, alcohol consumption really causes me to have a pretty terrible night sleep, so I picked up some THC seltzers to see what they were like.

The first time I tried them I didn't realize they had different strengths and I mistakenly dove right into the deep end with two 10mg THC Seltzers (10mg is the max allowed here). I had the best night of sleep I have had in years, but thought I was going to have to crawl up the stairs to get to my bed.

They definitely help with sleep, but the 10mg variety does leave me feeling a little groggy/sluggish the next day.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:50 PM

Full spectrum does help with sleep but it has THC in it so if that is a problem take note.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:02 PM

If THC is legal where you live, my recent go-to is from Copper State. I take one before bedtime, so CBN is more important to me than THC.

https://cannapages.com/dispensaries/...g-thc50mg-cbd/
Old 04-12-2024, 09:11 PM

Any of you guys that use THC laced gummies experience any signs of dependency? Like if you don't take one are you unable to sleep at all with that help?
Old 04-13-2024, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
Any of you guys that use THC laced gummies experience any signs of dependency? Like if you don't take one are you unable to sleep at all with that help?
I can sleep okay without a low dose THC gummie. Just not as fast to fall asleep and the quality is much better than without. No dependency just a preference.

To me the most important component of training is recovery.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I'm finding this to be true as well. While I've been constantly working on the new house for several months, I haven't been getting any "real" exercise at all. A few beers may relieve some mental stress during the day, but it screws up my sleep for sure. Just one day of not drinking may not improve my sleep that night, but two or three consecutive non-alcoholic days definitely makes a difference.

Ah, the joys of aging.

ETA: I've read a couple of articles in the past year or so which have offered evidence (studies?) that while alcohol may help you GO to sleep, there's a sort of rebound effect which makes you less likely to STAY asleep. Your sleep is likely to be less restful and prone to waking up. I'm not now, and never have been, in the medical field, but this also aligns with my personal experience.
My Whoop tells me this is all fact.
A good way to ruin your recovery is to drink in the evening. Works every time.
Old 04-13-2024, 11:22 AM

Floyd's full-spectrum helped me go to sleep but not stay asleep (a la melatonin). I now have a puppy. After a full day of dealing with puppyhood, I sleep like I did in my 20s!
Old 04-13-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
These are what I am using. One is a balm for aches and pains and the other are drops infused with MCT oil.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Some Seinfeld humor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCj2kfIpXI

Last edited by MikeD; 04-13-2024 at 03:31 PM.