Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2021, 08:49 PM

Q3 2022, the worm will start to turn and new stuff will become actually available

TPC will be done/different 12 to 24 months after. Especially after Mr. Big got killed by a Peloton

For the record, though consumables are spotty, bike demand isn't all that crazy at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Let's just be realistic. TPC is simply riding the current wave of bike/component shortages and playing on peoples propensity to make somewhat irrational decisions to get something in stock today.

The market is very much there right now and their throughput has exploded in the last year handily filling a void that contained excited buyers ready to throw cash.

whether or not that is a "responsible" business model or not is certainly up for debate, but plenty of companies have done the same under similar conditions. making hay when the sun shines and all of that. this will all slow down and supply chains will sort themselves out and all that, hopefully TPC doesnt face the wrath of rapid irresponsible expansion and wind up holding the bag with more employees than they can pay and more warehouse space then they can afford to pay the rent on, and they wind up in a death spiral.

time will tell.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:49 PM

I'm not outraged!
Old 12-16-2021, 09:06 PM

Can't say I am a TPC fan. I was quite dissappointed that they bought the radavist.

Prior to the pandemic, I did buy some calipers and other components from them in the past and got quite reasonable prices. They also offered me a NOS frame for a very reasonable price via ebay in the past. In general, I find their bikes too pricey for me.

The used market is priced much higher than it was a few months ago. I think it also applies to some listings on the classifieds on paceline. If I feel like something is a ripoff, I just steer clear of it.

I try to offer my items for a reasonable price. But I am no businessman. Just a hobbyist.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
My "Nago broke?? No problem.

I so wanted him to say, “people kept asking how good flex tape is, so I sawed a colnago in half!”

Whatever the pro’s are doing it’s working this is like the third thread about them in so many months! Nice work.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Even when it's spelled out, "dirt knocker offer" doesn't really make any sense to me. Is that some sort of old-timey vernacular?
Literally knock / wipe off the dirt then list it for sale for 5x what you paid…
Old 12-16-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Q3 2022, the worm will start to turn and new stuff will become actually available

TPC will be done/different 12 to 24 months after. Especially after Mr. Big got killed by a Peloton

For the record, though consumables are spotty, bike demand isn't all that crazy at the moment
I'll take that bet since they've been around longer than you've been a member here!
Old 12-16-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I see what you're saying but I also see the OP's point too. and full disclosure I have sold a bike to TPC although I haven't purchased anything from them.

But to put a patched job CF bike on their website site for that kind of price seems like they are fishing for a sucker IMO.

Looks to me like a legit carbon repair but left unpainted to let the buyer look at the fix him/herself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2021, 12:38 AM

Should this be a paceline group buy effort with a series of followup YouTube videos of this Coinago living it up, a-la the traveling gnome?
Old 12-17-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Literally knock / wipe off the dirt then list it for sale for 5x what you paid…
5X you say? That is a lot of times...
Old 12-17-2021, 06:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Can't say I am a TPC fan. I was quite dissappointed that they bought the radavist.

Prior to the pandemic, I did buy some calipers and other components from them in the past and got quite reasonable prices. They also offered me a NOS frame for a very reasonable price via ebay in the past. In general, I find their bikes too pricey for me.

The used market is priced much higher than it was a few months ago. I think it also applies to some listings on the classifieds on paceline. If I feel like something is a ripoff, I just steer clear of it.

I try to offer my items for a reasonable price. But I am no businessman. Just a hobbyist.
Indeed. The place that sold my son his Honda Civic 2 years ago offered to buy it from him for more than he paid. That's right, a 2 year old Honda Civic.

Yes, Yes, I know a ton of the guys at TPC, I'v watched them explode, I visit the warehouse often(I get wheel boxes there) and the operation is really amazingly BIG.

And Yes, Yes, many will criticize TPC as the very harbinger of death and doom for the 'used bike market'. But what all the VC $ did was take TPC from a 'hobby, back room, I'll sell yer stuff on eBay' place to a BIG BUSINESS.

And gee, they are doing that really, really well..and as somebody back 4-5 pages said, if ya don't like it, don't buy it..pretty easy.

And for those who DO see TPC as underhanded, scheming, nasty big corporate people who are out to hurt the new bike owner..I'll bet you can find the $, people, warehouse, etc..to do it 'right'. Let me know when it's up and running..
Quote:
Can't wait for the TPC sleeper agents here to "back them up" again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iages(py.jpg (6.8 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-17-2021 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

As an aside, that Colnago repaired 'locally'...probably here.for info

https://www.brokencarbon.com/

Good guys, good work.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:22 AM

They'll be back on ebay shilling used socks and they're gonna have to sell John Watson (rada-whatever) to Wiggle

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...-accelleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
I'll take that bet since they've been around longer than you've been a member here!
Old 12-17-2021, 07:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
They'll be back on ebay shilling used socks and they're gonna have to sell John Watson (rada-whatever) to Wiggle

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...elleration</b>
Yeegads, is BR copywriter MIA?

"Acceleration"
Old 12-17-2021, 09:33 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm not outraged!
I like the OP, I am not so fond of the follow-on discussion. It's like when you go on ebay and someone wants $10k for a bike that probably should be $500 and you just have to laugh because it's one of those people that sticks to their price and won't listen to reason. And keeps the listing up for 2 years anyway.

The business fortunes of PC or the guy that lists overpriced bikes on ebay don't affect me at all. Good luck to them.

But for some of us it's a case of https://xkcd.com/386/
Can't let it go.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-17-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Meh

Here is another perspective - as a seller who is not looking to maximize the prices I can get for stuff, I do love the convenience of TPC. I probably could have gotten a lot more for the (very nice) Evil Following that I sold to them, but I didn’t have to deal with the big time sink of doing it myself (or god forbid, parting out). For someone who loves bikes but doesn’t have the free time to deal with the considerable overhead of flogging used stuff on the Internet, it’s a real treat. Time is money.