Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 01:01 PM

Ashlin Barry

Thought I'd start this thread so we can keep track of his accomplishments over the years. Just won his first UCI stage race at age 16. I have a feeling we'll be hearing more from this young "American" up and comer.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:42 PM

Some of the Jr's I work with raced "against" him at Canadian Jr Track Nationals last year at this time. This year (2024 Canadian Track Championships (Jr/U17//Para), Bromont, Québec, Canada, 29 Mar - 31 Mar 2024). Kid has monster talent. https://www.uci.org/competition-details/2024/PAR/72325
Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 PM

He chose good parents for his intended career.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
He chose good parents for his intended career.
hope he doesnt end up doping like they both did ....
Old 03-26-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
hope he doesnt end up doping like they both did ....
Didn't want to bring this up when the thread started, but it is the gray cloud hanging over the young man. His dad admitted to doping as part of the USPS program and his mother was aware of it. Same gray cloud hangs over Enzo Hincapie. Hopefully the lessons of the past are well learned. To paraphrase those wiser than me, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Greg
Old 04-07-2024, 06:29 PM

7th in junior Paris Roubaix. He’s 17 years old. Winner is 21.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:59 PM

"... he will now return for his summer programme across North America, which will include a first-time appearance at US Road Nationals"

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...7f274JIbhTWMhs
Old 04-15-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
"... he will now return for his summer programme across North America, which will include a first-time appearance at US Road Nationals"

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...7f274JIbhTWMhs
From that CN article:

"The 17-year-old now races for the EF Education-ONTO development team and has been selected to represent national teams for Canada and the USA, as he has dual citizenship. He is making himself very much at home on the highest step of podiums as a junior while remaining low-key about his last name."

This can't go on for much longer, right? He must, at some point, declare for either nation I would imagine and I would guess he will have to do this when he turns 18.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-15-2024, 05:34 PM

He has chosen USA cycling over cycling Canada for better support.

Can't blame him, support for high level road cycling is almost zero in Canada. Speaking as a parent of a high level Canadian junior.

Track and mtb is where all the funding goes up here.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
This can't go on for much longer, right? He must, at some point, declare for either nation I would imagine and I would guess he will have to do this when he turns 18.

Anyone know for sure?
While I certainly don't know this for sure, but If you take a look at the Williams brothers, my guess is that you don't need to pick one and stick with it
Old 04-16-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanent socks View Post
He has chosen USA cycling over cycling Canada for better support.

Can't blame him, support for high level road cycling is almost zero in Canada. Speaking as a parent of a high level Canadian junior.

Track and mtb is where all the funding goes up here.

You must be in a different Canada then the one on this planet if you believe track and MTB receive the majority of funding in Canada.

BC absolute zero funding dollars for Track in the Cycling BC budget, will not ever contribute to timing or Commissaries costs for Provincial Track Championships this year. BC Bromont Track Nationals was through parents and clubs.

MTB money comes from industry sponsorship and individual clubs, not government support.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:56 AM

Just a local GTA race. 3 minutes ahead of no. 2 and almost 10 mins ahead of the field.

https://zone4.ca/race/2024-04-21/77855640/results
Old 04-22-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
You must be in a different Canada then the one on this planet if you believe track and MTB receive the majority of funding in Canada.

BC absolute zero funding dollars for Track in the Cycling BC budget, will not ever contribute to timing or Commissaries costs for Provincial Track Championships this year. BC Bromont Track Nationals was through parents and clubs.

MTB money comes from industry sponsorship and individual clubs, not government support.
Young Barry must seek not governing body support, per se, but access to USACycling’s 501c3 slush fund that is still at least partially directed by the person at the center of the largest organized doping ring ever investigated by World Anti Doping authorities, Thom Weisel.

As someone who promotes and officiates in the USA and occasionally has the privilege to time events in Canada- the quality of the National Governing Body and Local Associations in Canada is far, far, far beyond the sad American governing body and it’s anemic local associations.. But Cycling Canada doesn’t have a shadowy slush fund run by un-accountable un-elected bay area billionaires, so I can see how the kid would be tempted…
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 PM

I'm not thrilled at his switching his license from CAN to USA. He still lives in Toronto and it's where he grew up, but $$$ is $$$.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:17 AM

From my experience with cycling Canada and the Ontari9 cycling association, if my son had the choice to race under a US license the decision would take a few seconds to make.

Cycling Canada didn't even support the athletes representing Canada at worlds in Australia. The athletes self funded and then were charged a program fee by the governing body.

Don't get me started on the OCA, they have single-handedly destroyed what was once a vibrant road racing calender here in Ontario.