Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Chris King BB drag?

I have ~200 miles on a brand new Threadfit 30, but I've had the feeling it just isn't spinning smoothly. I've had CK BBs on other bikes that spin like butter, but it occurred to me those all came to me used. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a "break in" period after which the bearings begin to spin more freely, or if this sounds like an issue I should contact CK about.

FWIW, I pulled the cranks and cups today to make sure I didn't gum something up on installation. All looked as it should. I tried turning the bearings with my finger and for sure they felt stiff. Compared to a used Shimano BB I had sitting around, and the Shimano had less resistance by a fair degree. I tried a new Hawk BB I've had sitting around, too, and wow the Hawk was night and day smoother. Anyway, thanks for any feedback.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

My new to me bb is pretty draggy as well. I think the previous owner said he had about 200 mi on it.

I bought the abbey tool to install it. Guess I wasn’t careful enough on the nds side, and it slipped off and marked up the cups and damaged the tool. Hopefully the drag reduces so I don’t have to remove it.

I have a raceface turbine crank and CK 30mm spacer kit for it installed.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
My new to me bb is pretty draggy as well. I think the previous owner said he had about 200 mi on it.

I bought the abbey tool to install it. Guess I wasn’t careful enough on the nds side, and it slipped off and marked up the cups and damaged the tool. Hopefully the drag reduces so I don’t have to remove it.

I have a raceface turbine crank and CK 30mm spacer kit for it installed.
Did you just say that a used King bb that you messed up installing has drag?

That is a hard outcome to place on King.
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Have you had any other BBs in this frame? Perhaps the BB shell needs to be faced.
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

No what I am saying is learn from me and be extra careful installing pretty parts. It has drag regardless of the scuff or two in the cup from the tool slipping off.

I’m hoping the drag reduces with use so I don’t have pull it off the bike anytime soon which will require a new tool to make sure it doesnt slip again. Doing it over I wouldn’t use the torque wrench I used again. Live and learn.

Last edited by mtb_frk; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Pro Tip

Pro Tips for installing a bb like that:
1.) Use some plastic or Saran Wrap as a gasket between the tool and the BB cup.
2.) Use a Torque wrench so you are not tempted to drive the cup in with as much force as possible.