Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Quick!!!

William
LOL that's a great GIF!
Old 11-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Strong Walker

I've ridden countless (well, almost, but definitely more than 250) major passes over the years. Some in competition, many in large groups.
Ive done about 70% of these on clinchers.
I've heard many a tire blow on these occasions, though -luckily- just once on my own bike.

If we take properly maintained material as a prerequisite, *how* you descend is the main factor, not on what kind of tire.
I could have predicted many blown tires by the way people were descending.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
If we take properly maintained material as a prerequisite, *how* you descend is the main factor, not on what kind of tire.
I could have predicted many blown tires by the way people were descending.
I'm curious what you've noticed. I'll be riding my first mountain tour next summer and would love some "what not to do" tips.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:13 AM

...its not about the bike and the equipment you hang on it, its about your descending technique.

Here is a primer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vou9FFuFGo
Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 AM
kg

Thanks for all the responses guys. It's interesting how threads evolve. I guess I should have specified that I've raced for the past six years, including hair-raising descents like Tour of the Gila. Still, it's only recently that I've regularly been descending long climbs -- 35-55 mins up. I'm familiar with basic descending technique (not that I'm good at it) and I certainly keep my equipment in good shape.

Still, I'm more concerned about the unexpected. I understand that the probability of rupturing is low given the number of descents on clinchers compared to the number of blowouts, but you never know if a) a tube will rupture for unforeseen reasons or b) there's glass, wire, nails, or other sharp objects on the road. Those things get in my head some of the time when I'm descending and that does more to mess with my technique than anything else.

I think I'm talking myself into tubulars! Incidentally, I did use them at Gila (borrowed from a friend) and I was either much more confident in my descending with them or the adrenaline of the race completely desensitized me because I gained about 25 positions coming off of Pinos Altos.

BTW, those GCN videos (linked above) are a lot of fun.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys. It's interesting how threads evolve. I guess I should have specified that I've raced for the past six years, including hair-raising descents like Tour of the Gila. Still, it's only recently that I've regularly been descending long climbs -- 35-55 mins up. I'm familiar with basic descending technique (not that I'm good at it) and I certainly keep my equipment in good shape.

Still, I'm more concerned about the unexpected. I understand that the probability of rupturing is low given the number of descents on clinchers compared to the number of blowouts, but you never know if a) a tube will rupture for unforeseen reasons or b) there's glass, wire, nails, or other sharp objects on the road. Those things get in my head some of the time when I'm descending and that does more to mess with my technique than anything else.

I think I'm talking myself into tubulars! Incidentally, I did use them at Gila (borrowed from a friend) and I was either much more confident in my descending with them or the adrenaline of the race completely desensitized me because I gained about 25 positions coming off of Pinos Altos.

BTW, those GCN videos (linked above) are a lot of fun.
If it's really a fear, tubulars properly glued are probably better although there is the possibility of overheating the glue and diminishing the bond as previously mentioned.
I think you are over thinking it and trying to mitigate risk that is so small as to be inconsequential.
Everyone should ride tubies at some point if you haven't do it. If you have and liked them do it again.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Some folks play it too safe and get nowhere fast, fear and doubt keeps them from progressing. The need for security is one of the things that keeps us from taking risks and moving forward. I too get those same thoughts descending. I keep in mind that a blowout is not likely to happen and focus on my skills.

Hellen Keller said: "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

"A person usually meets his destination on his way to avoid it"
Kung Fu Panda

I can only speak from personnel experience. In the many sports that I have been involved in whose who were willing to take risks and step out of their comfort zone learned quicker. Taking risks and making mistakes is part of growing in many sports. The key is to learn from mistakes, keep moving ahead, making intelligent or calculated risks.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:27 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
"A person usually meets his destination on his way to avoid it"
Kung Fu Panda

In the many sports that I have been involved in whose who were willing to take risks and step out of their comfort zone learned quicker.
Two great aphorisms in one post. I like them both a lot. Thanks.

So, banshee descending and hair-brained attacks at 2km to go for me the next several races.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Taking risks and making mistakes is part of growing in many sports. The key is to learn from mistakes, keep moving ahead, making intelligent or calculated risks.
The tough part is that in descending a mountain on a bike at 40+ mph you are dealing with potentially fatal mistakes.

Hard to learn from those…

Certainly agree with making intelligent decisions about risk.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM

if anything I would say switch to disc brakes for big descents. I had a scary blowout right after a 60 mph + descent in NH mountains; will never do that again.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Some folks play it too safe and get nowhere fast, fear and doubt keeps them from progressing. The need for security is one of the things that keeps us from taking risks and moving forward.

In the many sports that I have been involved in whose who were willing to take risks and step out of their comfort zone learned quicker. Taking risks and making mistakes is part of growing in many sports. The key is to learn from mistakes, keep moving ahead, making intelligent or calculated risks.
Now there's some great possibly deadly advice......
Old 11-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
if anything I would say switch to disc brakes for big descents. I had a scary blowout right after a 60 mph + descent in NH mountains; will never do that again.
Next time try this:

Last edited by Louis; 11-26-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:25 PM

There is an old saying in rock climbing; something I've done for the past 45 years (and note; I'm still here)..... "There are old climbers, there are bold climbers, but there are NO old bold climbers"
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM

you try it let us know how it works out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Next time try this:

Old 11-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdoc View Post
you try it let us know how it works out....
I don't need it - the MO descents are steep, but too short to heat up the rims.