Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
Is the GGB bike path contraflow or in the center of the bridge? If you are riding the same direction, wouldn’t it be your left ear exposed to direct sounds of traffic?
I wondered the same. Will be an interesting tidbit of knowledge whatever the answer is.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:18 PM

At what dB level does the smartwatch alarm?

You can figure out your exposure based on how loud it alarms at and how often it goes off.

I think most of us are probably going to be at a level & time where it's not really an issue.

If you've ever rode a motorcycle there's a pretty clear line when you start being able to continuously ride 40+ mph. You hit pain levels pretty quick at highway speeds, and I basically never rode without earplugs.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:32 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
I wondered the same. Will be an interesting tidbit of knowledge whatever the answer is.
Sure, so: Morning bike traffic uses the eastern (bay) side of the bridge, with the auto traffic to your right if you are south-bound. Afternoon bike traffic after 3pm uses the western (ocean) side of the bridge, with the auto traffic to your right if you are north-bound. So for a commuter coming from the North side, as I am, your right side is always the one exposed to traffic noise.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Technically, commuting north before 3pm requires the use of the eastern path, but no sane bike commuter does that, because the eastern path is a hellscape of selfie-stick wielding tourists in the afternoons. Pedestrians are banned from the western path at all times.

Last edited by EB; 02-22-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Sure, so: Morning bike traffic uses the eastern (bay) side of the bridge, with the auto traffic to your right if you are south-bound. Afternoon bike traffic after 3pm uses the western (ocean) side of the bridge, with the auto traffic to your right if you are north-bound. So for a commuter coming from the North side, as I am, your right side is always the one exposed to traffic noise.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Technically, commuting north before 3pm requires the use of the eastern path, but no sane bike commuter does that, because the eastern path is a hellscape of selfie-stick wielding tourists in the afternoons. Pedestrians are banned from the western path at all times.
Thanks! Here in Portland-Vancouver we have a bridge over the Columbia River with the bike path in the median of an Interstate highway. The noise level is nuts and in stereo from both sides.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:32 PM

Cool explanation, and that there’s a well defined system that considers cyclists.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:50 PM
Rockstruck

Just how noisy is it on the GG? I bet it’s loud af. Have you tried something like the Niosh slm noise meter (I have on the phone, free from the app store) to measure the level? I have (or had) good hearing, and am very very sensitive to noise (and distortion in music) and occasionally check the sound level around me for risk of hearing damage, like at a college basketball game. My ears start to be seriously uncomfortable at bursts of 115-117 Db. Hearing damage—I read somewhere—is cumulative. Then there’s the covid angle; and age; and stress; and…
Old 02-22-2024, 07:09 PM

To the OP:

If there’s a marked difference between the 2 ears, might be wise to see an ENT or otologist. Rarely this can be caused by an acoustic neuroma.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Just how noisy is it on the GG? I bet it’s loud af. Have you tried something like the Niosh slm noise meter (I have on the phone, free from the app store) to measure the level? I have (or had) good hearing, and am very very sensitive to noise (and distortion in music) and occasionally check the sound level around me for risk of hearing damage, like at a college basketball game. My ears start to be seriously uncomfortable at bursts of 115-117 Db. Hearing damage—I read somewhere—is cumulative. Then there’s the covid angle; and age; and stress; and…
It’s very loud. In particular you’re got cars going 65 - posted limit is 45 but you know how that goes. And semi-trucks. And commuter buses. The distance between a rider and the car in the nearest lane is as little as four feet - the only thing separating you from the cars is a four foot high slatted metal barrier.

In all those commuting years, I just didn’t think about it and that’s on me. Once you get into a groove with bike commuting it’s a real habit and a very positive one while you’re doing it.

Only doing it more recently did I put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:58 PM

It's the wind.

I looked into this a few years ago and it's a combination of decibels and duration.

That threshold starts at 13- 14mph on a completely calm day. You can measure it with your cellphone. That's your entire ride but for some steep climbs.

Even w/o the added decibels of traffic, strong wind, or descents you have a recipe for hearing loss.

I wear earplugs all the time now in hopes of arresting the damage. It's weird at first but riding w/o them is deafening now and I wish I'd know this decades ago.

I check over my shoulder a lot more now but the reality is that there is nothing you can hear that's going to protect you from an accident.