Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 PM

Find me a good place to live for cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
I spent a week out in Phx last year and rented a bike - did a nice ride out toward bartlett lake. It was hot, even in April but bearable. Its definitely different.

I had an interview in Seattle yesterday - looks like I can live east of the city without a horrible commute (bike or bus) with good access to cycling & mtb

You haven't really lived till you've commuted across the I-90 bridge in sideways 40* rain...for two months straight...

That said, Seattle is a fun place and the Eastside burbs have gotten pretty nice over the years.

Day trips across the Sound can be a ton of fun.

Last edited by Clean39T; 05-23-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Charleston, SC

I spent a lot of time in Kiawah Island, right outside of Charleston. I was going to move there. I went on some group rides out of Mt. Pleasant. Nice enough roads. But no shoulders on any roads on the areas leaving the city. No hills anywhere.

The weather is great, beaches are fun too.

There are tons of IT jobs in Mt. Pleasant supporting the Navy base (SPAWAR). There is classified work there as well.

Cheers,
-Joe
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 PM

Madison, WI is decent if you like beer and cheese and don't mind winters. Lots of tech jobs, strong bike scene, and bike infrastructure. S24 options out the wazoo, and great road riding.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVN View Post
Madison, WI is decent if you like beer and cheese and don't mind winters. Lots of tech jobs, strong bike scene, and bike infrastructure. S24 options out the wazoo, and great road riding.
Maybe for some, but IMO winter and great (or even good) road cycling don't mix. It's something you endure until the season passes and you can ride dressed as something other than the Michelin Man.

Furthermore, I have no interest in pedaling one of those mega-tire things on 3' of snow and calling that "cycling." It isn't.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Furthermore, I have no interest in pedaling one of those mega-tire things on 3' of snow and calling that "cycling." It isn't.
You're missing out on a lot of fun!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:07 AM

I'm a Cincinnati lifer, and will happily answer any questions about the area, but not seeing that it fits your employment requirements.

However, for DoD and Gov type jobs, the regional powerhouse is about an hour north, on the east side of Dayton at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Major DoD research facility that, for better or worse, has resisted any and all cutbacks ever attempted. World class aviation museum on the public side of the base too.

Some really nice rolling farmland riding in the areas around there. Not to mention, if Dayton isn't enough, you are about an hour from both Columbus, to the east, Cincinnati, to the southwest, and two hours to Indianapolis, to the west.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:23 AM

I hate winter.

DC gets bitter cold for about 10 weeks a year and I'd like to get away from that even if it means getting crispy hot for about 10 weeks in the summer, although DC gets the worst of both sides with the summer humidity. I'm not sure how I feel about 40 degrees and raining and gray for 3 months in seattle. I suspect I'd grow to dislike that too, but at least it would be different.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 PM

Didnt land the job in Seattle.

The search continues
Old 05-28-2017, 12:08 AM

I love living in Washington, and not just for the cycling. Too bad Seattle didn't pan out, but I'm closer to Vancouver (not BC) and wouldn't swap for the Seattle vicinity.