Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I have a few stages power meters, and they've been fine, but there are enough other good options out there in the market that I'm not particularly sad over this loss.
This. Its a small market and crowded. My experience with a few Stages was that they were "ok" but I'd rather have a crank based pm.
Now that you can buy a crank based rechargeable Asian pm for less than a Stages it no longer made sense to buy the Stages. I won't miss the unit, but it does suck for those involved.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:30 PM

Stages was fine when I used to use them and my SB20 has been great. However, I’ve found it’s much easier to have a pair of Garmin road and mtb pedals and move them around rather than constantly worrying about a crank-based PM with each new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2024, 04:01 PM

I've used stages and 4iiii. Always preferred the 4iiii units.

I should double check if everything I have left is 4iiii. I'll be bummed if I forgot to sell one of them, especially now.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Stages was fine when I used to use them and my SB20 has been great. However, I’ve found it’s much easier to have a pair of Garmin road and mtb pedals and move them around rather than constantly worrying about a crank-based PM with each new bike.

My Garmin offroad pedals are the most difficult thing I try to pair with my Bolt. I have both V1 and 2, and those pedals fail the first time 80% of the time
Old 04-23-2024, 07:05 PM
Randomhead

I saw the sale on the trainer bike and really wondered where they were going. It was really cheap, only a little more than a kickr. Turns out they were going out of business.

I expect Wahoo is next.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:06 PM
50 bpm

Before we went to the Tour last summer I inquired about a Campy left-side power meter. I waited. And waited.

I guess I should stop waiting.

I feel for those who lost their jobs.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:24 PM

shimano should buy them and maybe figure out how to fix their power meter (whose little ring apparently reads a significant margin off).
Old 04-24-2024, 01:31 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
This. Its a small market and crowded. My experience with a few Stages was that they were "ok" but I'd rather have a crank based pm.
Now that you can buy a crank based rechargeable Asian pm for less than a Stages it no longer made sense to buy the Stages. I won't miss the unit, but it does suck for those involved.
I'm confused by your preference for a "crank based" pm. Don't you consider Stages to be crank based? And also, where are you finding Asian brands of PM?
Old 04-24-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm confused by your preference for a "crank based" pm. Don't you consider Stages to be crank based? And also, where are you finding Asian brands of PM?
I suspect he means crank spider based power meter, instead of crank arm based power meter. Asian brand spider based power meters can be found on Amazon or Ebay, but they can also be found at bike specialty retailers like Power Meter City. Power Meter City has several Asian brand spider based power meters (Magene, Sigeyi and XCADEY) starting at $330 for the spider alone, or starting at $400 for entire crankset.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm assuming he's looking for one that's built into the spider (like a quarq or rotor) that measures rotational torque rather than one that infers it via crank arm deflection. The spider PM's seem like they are easier to keep sealed.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
My Garmin offroad pedals are the most difficult thing I try to pair with my Bolt. I have both V1 and 2, and those pedals fail the first time 80% of the time

I have Garmin head units and no issues. I do appreciate Garmin pairing w non Garmin-branded products is not always great and if pairing was an issue before each ride it would be a deal killer for me. I just rotate the pedals a couple times to wake up the PM and I’m paired two seconds later.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:45 PM

Feel bad for the employees. Of course the big shots land on their feet.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...PSj3PX5H4YqE0k
Old 04-24-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Feel bad for the employees. Of course the big shots land on their feet.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...PSj3PX5H4YqE0k
Interesting. After Giant showed interest in investing in Stages, maybe they then realized what bad shape Stages was in, and that it would be cheaper just to pick up the important pieces (such as some key employees) and let the rest sink.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Interesting. After Giant showed interest in investing in Stages, maybe they then realized what bad shape Stages was in, and that it would be cheaper just to pick up the important pieces (such as some key employees) and let the rest sink.

Ive downloaded all the manuals etc that I can for the sb20 while the site still works. I figure the apps will stop working at some point, etc...
Old 04-24-2024, 03:07 PM

Wow is there anything that is actually made by someone else other than Giant?

I'm not really sure I've ever actually needed the app. I think I've basically only used it a couple times when something was messed up and I wanted to debug the issue without a bike computer.

Maybe I should check for firmware updates, but why fix what isn't broken? I know I updated the firmware on both mine at least once but it was 5+ years ago for sure.

At least one of those times I used the app was when one went haywire and went +50W and that one got warrantied right away, it was like a month after I got it.