Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Rando bag or basket?

I have been going back and forth about what sort of carrying-vessel I'd like on my Space Horse. Ideally, I'd love a custom Swift bag, but my pockets are not very deep. I'd be using it for commuting and longer rides. I think a map pocket and dedicated bag would be greatly useful, but a basket is more flexible. My front rack is a Nitto M12.

Has anyone tried bag vs basket and can weigh in?

I just found the Ostrich F106 rando bag. Inexpensive from Japan. I want olive green anyways. Thoughts/reviews on Alex's or Ostrich?
http://www.alexscycle.com/bags-1/fro...l?currency=USD
Old 09-01-2014, 02:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Maybe I am biased cuz I have a swift and I know it's expensive but it's an amazing bag, really well made, custom to your liking and seems like it will last a while. Also made in Seattle.

It's a small investment but one I recommend. Definitely think a bag is more useful than a basket for longer trips, maybe for short city trips the basket might fit more stuff.

The ostrich bags seem nice too but I never used one, there is also acorn but they cost as much as swift ones.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Maybe I am biased cuz I have a swift and I know it's expensive but it's an amazing bag, really well made, custom to your liking and seems like it will last a while. Also made in Seattle.

It's a small investment but one I recommend. Definitely think a bag is more useful than a basket for longer trips, maybe for short city trips the basket might fit more stuff.

The ostrich bags seem nice too but I never used one, there is also acorn but they cost as much as swift ones.
+1 Dealing with Martina is a pleasure and you can dial the colors to your heart's content.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I couldn't decide between a Ruth and a Swift.

Both would have been fantastic.

I ended up with an Ostrich F-104 from CL.

It was 1/3rd the price of the others and while it may not be the same quality, it will get me through until I really decide what I want.

The Ostrich has loads of compartments and a great deal of inner space.

I bought a rain cover at a local shop, so I'm pretty much all set.

A basket is nice until it rains. imho

[IMG]Untitled by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I couldn't decide between a Ruth and a Swift.

Both would have been fantastic.

I ended up with an Ostrich F-104 from CL.
If you like it I'm sure I will.

I'd really love to get a Swift. I've wanted one since I first saw one.

I'd either have to wait until spring to get a Swift, and buy a Wald basket or make a shoddy wooden crate for now - or I could just go with an Ostrich. I did consider trying to make my own, but I'd probably buy all the supplies and never find the time to assemble it.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netdewt View Post
If you like it I'm sure I will.

I'd really love to get a Swift. I've wanted one since I first saw one.

I'd either have to wait until spring to get a Swift, and buy a Wald basket or make a shoddy wooden crate for now - or I could just go with an Ostrich. I did consider trying to make my own, but I'd probably buy all the supplies and never find the time to assemble it.
If you get a new one, you'll have more color options other than pink.

Let's just say the color has grown on me.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM

I've done both. The bag LOOKS way better, but the basket is much more useful. You can fit twice as much, and a Wald basket is $20. Instead of nearly $300 for a nice rando bag and nitto rack.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 PM
n - 1

I use an Acorn bag myself, but I'd have no issues going to a basket. However, I would get a bag similar to this to keep things dry and clean:

http://ilequipment.com/collections/a...s-stow-rackbag
Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM

it depends

I also have the Acorn front bag and I like it a lot. However, what's best for you depends on stuff like
  1. What/ how much are you carrying?
  2. How tall is your headtube? The Acorn bag is not tall. If your HT is tall, you may like/want a taller bag.
  3. Are you running older shimano brifters with shift cables? If so, you want to be sure the bag doesn't get in the way.
  4. Are you willing to use a decaleur or want to avoid it?

OTOH for commuting, I don't use a front bag. Instead I use a rear rack, and a small bookbag (holding my Mac Air and my ipad) that I toss into a cheap grocery bag pannier.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates View Post
I also have the Acorn front bag and I like it a lot. However, what's best for you depends on stuff like
  1. What/ how much are you carrying?
  2. How tall is your headtube? The Acorn bag is not tall. If your HT is tall, you may like/want a taller bag.
  3. Are you running older shimano brifters with shift cables? If so, you want to be sure the bag doesn't get in the way.
  4. Are you willing to use a decaleur or want to avoid it?

OTOH for commuting, I don't use a front bag. Instead I use a rear rack, and a small bookbag (holding my Mac Air and my ipad) that I toss into a cheap grocery bag pannier.
For commuting: change of clothes, lunch, keys, snack, computer, etc. Biggest downside to a bag here, I guess, is that I have to switch stuff back and forth from my daily work bag.

For touring: snacks, warmer riding gear, rain gear, pump, spares, extra water.

Not a tall HT really, but I'm using lots of spacers. I do like that the Acorn is offered in a tall - I haven't measured the rack to bar height though. I hate that they stopped making olive green bags though, that's the color I want.

I already have a VO decaleur, doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather have the stability.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I hate that they stopped making olive green bags though, that's the color I want.

I already have a VO decaleur, doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather have the stability.
I think a brown/tan bag would look better with your saddle/bar tape than olive green and that might be easier to find. OTOH a site catering to iBOB, Rivendell fans, etc. might have someone selling used green bags.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I think a brown/tan bag would look better with your saddle/bar tape than olive green and that might be easier to find. OTOH a site catering to iBOB, Rivendell fans, etc. might have someone selling used green bags.
I want the contrast. I think olive, honey, and aqua will look awesome together!
Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 AM
n - 1

Expensive option, but a big front rack that can accommodate a bag and panniers would negate the need to switch things up between commute and touring.

But again, expensive. At the given price of a wald basket (~$20, maybe cheaper at your local co-op), I'd give that a go first to see if it would work. Just put all your stuff into a backpack to help keep it out of the elements and bungee it down.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Can you sew? The DIY rando bag isn't terribly difficult. If that were my Space Horsey, I'd make a white bag, with black trim, and aqua thread.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
For commuting: change of clothes, lunch, keys, snack, computer, etc. Biggest downside to a bag here, I guess, is that I have to switch stuff back and forth from my daily work bag.

For touring: snacks, warmer riding gear, rain gear, pump, spares, extra water.

Not a tall HT really, but I'm using lots of spacers. I do like that the Acorn is offered in a tall - I haven't measured the rack to bar height though. I hate that they stopped making olive green bags though, that's the color I want.

For commuting, a regular Acorn is definitely not big enough. I would hazard a guess that a tall acorn is also not big enough ... unless your computer is really small. For commuting, I think you want a rack with an easily removable bag that you carry in directly without moving stuff to another bag.

OTOH your bike looks too nice for commuting. If you use this bike just for touring/rando rides, any nice front bag ought to work great.