Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 04:36 PM

obscure brake hood question

I just got a Centurion Ironman with Shimano BL-1051 aero brake levers, to leave at my inlaws' in Wisconsin. The aero levers have replacement hoods (from someone else's repair job) on them that do not fit well.

I do know that the original hoods were Shimano Part #86b9802, which also fit BL-1051 and BL-L331 levers. They are >$35 when available on the bay, which is just excessive considering the cost of new levers. I know that an entire set of new aero levers is less, and actually have some to use.

However, I am still wondering whether anyone from this sage community knows of any alternative that is readily available. If not, I will just leave these to the parts bin...

Thanks-
Jonathan
Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM

Those levers are super old, like 25 years old, unless you can find somebody actually making them I doubt you will find something that will fit.

Personally I like them a lot but if you need something like that the best thing is to go sram or maybe cane creek brake levers just because they have the hoods available.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Head to Ned

So $40 for the proper hoods is not working for you? Be glad you can get them at all. I'd scoop'um up and be done with it, happy to keep the bike original.

I've paid more for less
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 PM

I think he is asking if there are any aftermarket hood manufactures that make nearly identical hoods. But I'm not the one with the answer, although I am curious, because I need some hoods to fit old campy N.R levers.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 PM

I don't disagree with any of the previous comments, but it comes down to priorities. I bought a pair of 1055 levers on ebay that were hard to tell from new ones for under $25. Hard not to use them rather than pay $40 for a pair of hoods. I have Tektro levers on a couple of old bikes just because hoods for the original levers cost more than the Tektros complete.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 PM

last i checked you can still buy the old shape shimano aero levers, they're sold under the tiagra group i think.

i know rivendell sells them
Old 08-31-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I don't disagree with any of the previous comments, but it comes down to priorities. I bought a pair of 1055 levers on ebay that were hard to tell from new ones for under $25. Hard not to use them rather than pay $40 for a pair of hoods. I have Tektro levers on a couple of old bikes just because hoods for the original levers cost more than the Tektros complete.
on the other hand Tektro hoods are the devils spawn and I cannot source replacements for my ripped up floppy and flaccid hoods.

Shimano levers are a bit flexy (no big deal, actually) but they work and the hoods, as noted, are easily sourced and replaced.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 AM

Unfortunately, that shape is the 1055 and not the 1051, from what I can tell.

http://www.rivbike.com/mobile/produc...ct-p/bl1h.htm=

Any idea on the fit for 1051 levers?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:43 AM

1051 levers require 1051 hoods, nothing else will fit correctly.

For some bizarre reason, Shimano made slightly different hoods for many of their lever sets in the late 80's and early 90's and they are not compatible with each other. It's often less expensive to purchase a compete lever set in nice condition than to buy a set of 1051 hoods. If you can find them.

Must say, however that many of us actually prefer the Tektro levers, especially the R200L series (Tektro has since stopped selling this series under their name and now sells the 3401, which has a different shaped lever). Wider and more comfortable than the Shimanos- similar to Campy Ergos- and I've never had a hood get floppy or require replacement.

Note that Cane Creek makes replacement hoods for the Tektros sold under their brand name, and they fit perfectly. Origin8 also sells the R200L under their brand name.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
I think he is asking if there are any aftermarket hood manufactures that make nearly identical hoods. But I'm not the one with the answer, although I am curious, because I need some hoods to fit old campy N.R levers.
Some very good repro hoods are available for the NR/SR levers. Both Shield and Globe styles are dead ringers for the originals and made of better, longer lasting material.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Thank you witcombusa, I will look into some Globe styled ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Some very good repro hoods are available for the NR/SR levers. Both Shield and Globe styles are dead ringers for the originals and made of better, longer lasting material.