Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
They replace the decals and give them back to him.
Too funny.
Dave Kirk has some really funny ones like this from when he was making the Serotta pro race bikes. I think I heard them from him at one of the Open Houses.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Cat 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
An example, is not the same material and not the same era of bikes but anyways. For example the old alan and vitus aluminum frames, they were not bad frames at all but all of the alan and vitus I remember sprinters used, they all cracked or got bonding problems before 6 months. The pacists roadies never got problems at all but maybe after 2 years, that was maybe the most you were able to get out of one of those under abnormal elite racing conditions. For a sunday rider one of these ones can last almost forever.

Aren't those Alan aluminum frames (bonded tube to tube) notorious for being the flexiest frames to ever race the pro peloton?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Carbon has a theoretical infinite lifespan. It does not wear out bit by bit. Sounds like a placebo. Whatever it takes to win.
This is the reality. Nothing carbon "wears out" it performs the same as the day it came out of the mould until it breaks. Getting a new bike is simple placebo and perhaps some back end marketing to get people to think that they need new bikes after a few years.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Aren't those Alan aluminum frames (bonded tube to tube) notorious for being the flexiest frames to ever race the pro peloton?
Those and Vitus...Altho Sean Kelly did alright on them but I bet he had a quiver of them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kelly1988_medium.jpg (17.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Riding Along

I lasted 2 minutes into the video before I threw up in my mouth and pulled the plug! What a total load of streaming BS.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:39 AM
50 bpm

To summarize:

"Me me me me. I I I I I. Me me me me me. Me. Period."
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 AM

this is the guy who actually wore out and broke bikes prematurely. one of Abdu's lags is bigger than Cav's whole body.

Last edited by nicrump; 09-01-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 AM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
This is the reality. Nothing carbon "wears out" it performs the same as the day it came out of the mould until it breaks. Getting a new bike is simple placebo and perhaps some back end marketing to get people to think that they need new bikes after a few years.

F1 went through a phase like that too. They were making multiple chassis in carbon because the metal chassis would fatigue and flex measurably more... They thought the "had to". But once they tested them, they were not finding it an issue and make a fraction of the chassis now in carbon that they did in metal...
Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Back in the day I had the pleasure/misfortune to be right behind some truly impressive sprinters when they lit it up. I have seen bikes torqued so hard the wheels slapped the frame during the jump. I don't know for sure if it was the wheel or the frame flexing, it was hard enough to even see at the time, let alone do an analysis. The power that these cats can put out is truly amazing. I know there were a lot of broken wheels and broken steel frames.

That being said, modern technology and modern materials as they are applied here,... hey did someone cut the cheese??.. it smells in here
Old 09-01-2014, 01:14 PM

In the Somerville days of Fat City,there was a pro MTB rider who worked in the shop. He had the builders create his race frame for the year, with a specific HTA. I can't remember if it was by design, (the framebuilder messing with the racer), or an oversight, but the finished frame had an HTA a full degree off spec. The racer loved the bike and raved about the improved handling for a month or so. Word got around that the HTA was not what he ordered and he was livid, claiming he knew something wasn't right. Iirc, he did not get another frame, and had a decent season.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
They replace the decals and give them back to him.
Love this that quote:

You would think that Specialized can't be too thrilled about him saying that he wears out a frame in a few months... versus a year. Unless they can start selling new $10K+ bikes each year to riders who are convinced that they have worn them out.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
F1 went through a phase like that too. They were making multiple chassis in carbon because the metal chassis would fatigue and flex measurably more... They thought the "had to". But once they tested them, they were not finding it an issue and make a fraction of the chassis now in carbon that they did in metal...
But one F1 teams budget is how many times bigger than trekspecgiantcdale whole budget? Plus the stresses of F1 compared to a...... Bicycle with 1/4 horsepower? Apples and ladybugs.