Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 01:19 PM

http://www.sta-bil360.com/

Really works, you would be surprised how much moisture your fuel will pick up in a humid climate like Georgia.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:25 PM

The best method I've found: Fresh non-ethanol fuel with some Sta-bil, your choice of oil, and stored in a metal can.

You can find real gas locally by going here: http://pure-gas.org/

If you really need it running now, take it to a real lawn supply place and have them service it for you. Next time you use it, use only real gas. Drain and run dry for storage over the winter.

Next spring put in new fresh fuel mix and have at it.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
The best method I've found: Fresh non-ethanol fuel with some Sta-bil, your choice of oil, and stored in a metal can.

You can find real gas locally by going here: http://pure-gas.org/

If you really need it running now, take it to a real lawn supply place and have them service it for you. Next time you use it, use only real gas. Drain and run dry for storage over the winter.

Next spring put in new fresh fuel mix and have at it.
puregas.org is a handy site, but around here it only directs you to stations that sell race fuel, sold in 5 gallon drums. VP ms93 race fuel, which is just straight, no additive, no ethanol 93 octane gas, is $13 gallon. I'm not putting $13/gallon gas in my weedwacker. The only place I've ever found around here that sells non-ethanol, non-race gas is a marina, and that's going to be double pump prices. If you can find a gas station that just sells e-free pump gas, you are lucky.

One other thing I do, use one of these things, a Mr. Funnel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aside from having an awesome name, they really work, and you'll be shocked how much water get filtered out of your pump gas (ethanol soaks up water).

If I have to leave our karts at a track and I can't strip the carb, I always run some race fuel through them for a few minutes, and let it sit in the bowl. It seems to help keep the carb clean. But for lawn equipment? Don't overthink it; just run it dry when you are done, buy your gas in small increments, and hit it with carb cleaner every other time. A couple of times a season strip the carb down for a good cleaning.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM

I have two stroke lawn equipment, and had the ethanol problem. Now I just buy gas 1 gal at a time, and shake well before using. Been OK now for a couple years. You gotta shake the can good before pouring into equipment, and install a fuel shutoff and run them dry. Any lawn mower shop can fix your problem.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

I've been adding Sta-Bil to my oil/gas mixture in my Shidaiwa 2 stroke string trimmer since I bought it. I buy gas one gallon at a time, use the trimmer from spring through fall then run it dry at the end of the season. The trimmer is about 15 years old and the only thing I've had to do is replace a cracked fuel tank. I think I must be lucky.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 PM

you sure the carb isn't just out of adjustment? modern 2 cycle carbs run lean from the factory, in order to meet emissions. once run in, they need adjustment.

if you can tune an RD, you can figure out a 2 cycle carb, although much like bicycles, you'll probably need a specialized spline tool for the adjustments. Look on ebay.

as far as rebuilding the carb, make sure you price out a new one , as well. sometimes it's cheaper to just replace.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:16 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonoeightysix View Post
you sure the carb isn't just out of adjustment? modern 2 cycle carbs run lean from the factory, in order to meet emissions. once run in, they need adjustment.

if you can tune an RD, you can figure out a 2 cycle carb, although much like bicycles, you'll probably need a specialized spline tool for the adjustments. Look on ebay.

as far as rebuilding the carb, make sure you price out a new one , as well. sometimes it's cheaper to just replace.

Checking a site for a carb that would fit my Echo trimmer, I found that a complete replacement carb would run about $95, plus shipping. Still cheaper than buying a whole new trimmer. As I recall, I paid well over $250 for that trimmer wayyyy back when.

Mike in AR