Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 PM

If you are going to get it as a fun mess around bike. Sure... I have a rigid 26" bike with 1x9 I ride sometimes.

I also have a 2x10 hard tail stump jumper 29er with a front suspension. The new one is a heck of a lot more fun and forgiving.

Worse case, the old stumpy gets you in to riding the dirt and you upgrade. The old one becomes your commuter.

-Joe
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
If you are going to get it as a fun mess around bike. Sure... I have a rigid 26" bike with 1x9 I ride sometimes.

I also have a 2x10 hard tail stump jumper 29er with a front suspension. The new one is a heck of a lot more fun and forgiving.

Worse case, the old stumpy gets you in to riding the dirt and you upgrade. The old one becomes your commuter.

-Joe
Good point.

I keep a few of my old mtbs around up at our cabin. Lots of fun for visitors to grab and take for a ride in the woods on the fire roads. They also make great fishing bikes. I have a Bob trailer we carry in my Folbot kayak to remote fishing locations in the BWCA.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 AM

Bought a pretty-much-never-been-ridden '93 Rockhopper Comp last year to use as a trail/gravel path bike and put 26 X 2.125's on it. Still has the stock Deore LX 7 speed triple drive train components.

My scale shows right around 26 pounds all up with pedals. Is that considered heavy for a rigid MTB?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Bought a pretty-much-never-been-ridden '93 Rockhopper Comp last year to use as a trail/gravel path bike and put 26 X 2.125's on it. Still has the stock Deore LX 7 speed triple drive train components.

My scale shows right around 26 pounds all up with pedals. Is that considered heavy for a rigid MTB?
It's just fine Doc.

My single speed Bob Brown is likely pretty close to that number.

FWIW I don't worry so much about the weight of my mtbs. As long as I can toss it around on the local trails, it's all good. After riding my Fargo around, every other bike I own seems like a featherweight.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjoex View Post

-Joe
I'm giving this 1x10 zee idea more thought. If I keep the stock crankset it looks like I may be able to cut some cost out of this and I really don't loose much from the OEM gearing. It looks like its just the lowest combo and the two highest using a 32t ring. I need to ride this thing.

Commuter/loaner is a real possibility

I think 26lbs sounds very acceptable.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Not a bad idea at all ...

Here is my similiar vintage IF during a Fathers Day ride. I am about to update the drivetrain to something more modern but likely to change anything else. I view it as my impact sport instead of running. I typically ride alone so it is not an issue keeping up with the guys on the latest and greatest. My favorite recent memory was riding through some tight single track while a couple of college kids were pushing their downhill rigs uphill with full body armor. I rounded the switchback and heard one say to the other "you see the old guy on the rigid" ... I saw them later in the day and it was clear they had no idea how to pick a line or picked the worst line to utilize the suspension. Those old Stumpjumpers were great (my first mtn bike was an '85 Stumpjumber Sport) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-12_13-06-007.jpg (110.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 PM

I'm in the same camp as IFRider; full rigid is all I've ever ridden, since 1984.

Definitely go at least 2x something. I ride from home to the trails all the time and need the higher gears.

Be sure if you install a rigid fork that it is suspension corrected for the suspension fork that was originally mounted on the frame.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 PM

Great peter, I was hooked on the 1x idea and now you have me second guessing. A 32x11 is over 76 gear inches though. I can ride a decent road ride around 70gi without complaint.

All I know is that I'm addicted. Here she is after 10min or removing unneeded accesories, swapping the saddle, and flipping the stem.

The saddle height isn't corect and it's covered in filth, but the bike itself looks like it has been ridden a few hundred miles or less.

I'm really digging the silver seatpost, stem, and crankset. If I don't use the bigxsmall combos, I'm thinking 1x with this crankset.

Surprisingly, the fork seems to be functional as well. I'm still not sure I will use it though.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 08-18-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
n - 1

Wow, is that about a 12" saddle to bar drop??

Used to have one exactly like that. Miss that bike.

By the way, love Peter and IFRider's bikes. Would love to see more pictures.

Last edited by p nut; 08-18-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 AM

Yeah, that was taken after I flipped the stem in the stand but before I did anything with the saddle height. Expect it to come down a ways. The stem may not be right either, but I know its closer than it was.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM

With the saddle lowered, drop is around 4.5-5in. It's a little more than what I ride on my road bike. Puts the bars somewhere between the drops and hoods. Flipped the other way they feel too high. I may want to try a shorter zero rise stem. Close enough for now.

Can any of you teach me about mtb geo and what changed? This bike has a ~60cm tt and a 140mm stem. The compatible current stupjumper appears to have a 64cm tt and 105mm stem.

Here is how I currently have things set:
Saddle height is the same as my road bike (I think I may drop it a touch)
Bar reach is between my road tops and hoods
Bar drop is between my road hoods and drops

Does that seem ballpark? It feels fine on test rides. I wanted to take it out on a decent ride, but I'm short a set of spd cleats and the rear shifter quit. The large lever just free swings. It's like a paw in the shifter isn't catching. I'm wondering if the grease gummed them up.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Any advice?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM

Wider bars and shorter stems have replaced narrow bars and long stems. I blame the 29er and the force required to turn the wheel.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM

Seems the bars got higher too. Is this strictly a result of bigger wheels and taller forks? I feel I've got way more control over the front a little vs sitting upright.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:56 PM

Mockup of new build: