Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
v a n i l l a

Twisted road rage: cyclist beats motorist

The attack occurred at about 5 p.m. at the busy intersection of East Blithedale Avenue and Camino Alto, police said, adding that Smock and the motorist were at odds over whether the truck's mirror had struck Smock's bike as both men traveled along East Blithedale.

An altercation ensued, and Smock "inflicted such severe injuries on the driver of the vehicle that the driver ended up being transported to the hospital," Dunkel said. "We had witnesses concerned that the person might die."

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/T...ge-5429625.php
Old 04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

On one hand: good! Bastard probably had it coming.

If you have to argue whether or not your mirror hit someone, it probably did.

On the other: bad. More ammo for the 'anti-cycling' crowd.

M
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

M
Keepin' it classy, I see. Nice that the only problem you have with the severity of the beating is that it will be ammo for the 'anti-cycling' crowd. Maybe he should have followed the guy home and done it in private so as to protect the good rep of the cycling community.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
On one hand: good! Bastard probably had it coming...
M
Why did he have it coming? Why is he a bastard - because he was driving a car? What does one do to deserve being beaten so badly?

Nobody wins in situations like this. You'll never "teach someone a lesson." Shameful behavior.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Administrator

If the eye witness reports are true, he kept beating the driver even after he was down and not fighting back/unconscious. That's taking it too far regardless of what happened. Specifics on exactly what happened and what was used are sparse at the moment. Let's see what comes out in the coming days...

William
Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Descent fitness

The article states he kept beating the guy despite other motorists yelling and honking their horns at him. Sheesh, that will never stop someone in a rage. He needed to be restrained, which it sounds like nobody did.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:56 PM

The driver got off lighly compared to the typical cyclist's fate of being run over.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Probably abusing his testosterone script.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:

M
No. No way.

Anger at a class of people is as wrong and useless as it is immoral. No way I'm ever getting behind taking out frustration with a group on an individual.

I see taking out frustration with many drivers on a single driver as a form of a violation of the 4th Geneva convention against collective punishment.

Even without that moral and legal context, I simply am against beating a person to death, or trying to do so, over traffic. If it is not self defense then it is rightfully criminal.

What have we come to if we think that is ok?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDSeattle View Post
No. No way.

Anger at a class of people is as wrong and useless as it is immoral. No way I'm ever getting behind taking out frustration with a group on an individual.

I see taking out frustration with many drivers on a single driver as a form of a violation of the 4th Geneva convention against collective punishment.

Even without that moral and legal context, I simply am against beating a person to death, or trying to do so, over traffic. If it is not self defense then it is rightfully criminal.

What have we come to if we think that is ok?
+1. No excuse.

CaptStash....
Old 04-27-2014, 10:31 PM

The road where the guy allegedly hit the guy with the mirror is incredibly narrow and busy. It is impossible to give a cyclist the proper amount of space when passing one, simply because the road is too narrow. I never ride east blithedale because I consider it an unsafe road to ride. It's not unbelievable that someone would accidentally clip a cyclist with his mirror. It's plainly an unsafe road to cycle.

I am sick that this happened in my neighborhood. Where my kids will go to school. Hope the victim recovers and justice is served.

Last edited by joosttx; 04-27-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM

No excuse for assaulting people with cars or fists.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The road where the guy allegedly hit the guy with the mirror is incredibly narrow and busy. It is impossible to give a cyclist the proper amount of space when passing one, simply because the road is too narrow. I never ride east blithedale because I consider it an unsafe road to ride. It's not unbelievable that someone would accidentally clip a cyclist with his mirror. It's plainly an unsafe road to cycle.

I am sick that this happened in my neighborhood. Where my kids will go to school. Hope the victim recovers and justice is served.
yes, you would have to take the lane or accept the strong likelihood of getting squeezed.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:19 PM

Something about eye for eye... whole world... losing vision...

With that said, I don't think this will be a popular view...

But after spending many years on the road on a bike, I can certainly sympathize with anyone who's lost their temper after a hit or near-miss and done something dumb/illegal.

Sh*t happens.

Not saying it's right, not saying it's wrong. Sh*t just happens.

The presence of dashcams, mobile cameras, etc motivates me to keep my own temper in check. Seen quite a few cyclists 'outed' online via Facebook for doing the wrong thing thanks to technology.

OT: There was a good case down here where a cyclist* pinched a motorist's keys after an altercation... the driver was apparently scared of the cyclist so he took a photo of the cyclist* (but didn't wind up his window or lock car door?)... got posted on the local police department's Facebook page... nek minute, cyclist* in a bit of trouble.

*He was wearing a sleeveless jersey and ankle socks so I actually think he was a triathlete.

They deleted the FB post but news article is here: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226784957554
Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 PM
50 bpm

I don't understand a society where violence is glorified, but then I don't watch network television, either.