Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. I had the pleasure of sailing in Annapolis harbor with a retired Admiral the day before graduation. The Blue Angels buzzed us many times while they were practicing. What a day!

And, many thanks to all who are or have served.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
Thanks for sharing. I had the pleasure of sailing in Annapolis harbor with a retired Admiral the day before graduation. The Blue Angels buzzed us many times while they were practicing. What a day!

And, many thanks to all who are or have served.
Was the ADM an aviator? And if he was, do you remember his name?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM

I don't think he was - Krause. It was either May of '90 or '91, and he was already out for a few years. Lived in a beautiful house on the Severn.

Last edited by tiretrax; 08-31-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM

Thanks that's awesome footage..... My daughter and I saw the thunderbirds this year. She loved it.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Decrepit Member

The friendly competition between the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds is healthy for both services (or all three services since the Blue Angels has both USN and USMC pilots).
Old 09-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
The friendly competition between the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds is healthy for both services (or all three services since the Blue Angels has both USN and USMC pilots).
USAF-flare to land, squat to pee....

Gotta throw something their way...but anybody can land on 10,000 feet of concrete.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-4_Phantom_catches_wire_on_USS_Midway_(CV-41).jpg (28.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM

The Thunderbirds came to Rochester air show with 6 planes, two are two up trainers that do some of the 6 plane formations. The number 3 spot is a woman and they have had 4 in their history (daughter had to know). Blue Angels have one I believe started in the last 4 years. My fave was when they had one plane flying into a formation. The formation at 450 mph, the single plane threads the needle at 1000 mph at deck. Kept hearing the theme to TopGun in my head............

Last edited by soulspinner; 09-01-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Lost at sea...

Location: East of Pittsburgh (but I left my heart in Seattle)
A man I considered a big-brother was an F-14 pilot. Photos that he sent me along with some patches off of his flight suit are some of my prized possessions. It eventually led me to join the Navy myself, although not as a pilot (they locked me away in the engine room and sprayed me with radiation for six years... turned me into a cyclist).

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTSquirrel View Post
A man I considered a big-brother was an F-14 pilot. Photos that he sent me along with some patches off of his flight suit are some of my prized possessions. It eventually led me to join the Navy myself, although not as a pilot (they locked me away in the engine room and sprayed me with radiation for six years... turned me into a cyclist).

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for your service, even if you were a 'bubblehead'. If just a nuke snipe, well that's ok too.

"Sailors belong on ships, ships belong at sea"
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Deeply fried

how many G's do you think he's pulling? I think if i tried that my poop would go back up my GI tract and out my mouth...
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM

Peter, I'd love to hear your condensed ·bio. I've been on the forum for years and didn't know you were a navy pilot! If I were a naval aviator everyone this side of the mississippi would know it cause I'd never stop bragging about it. ·If anyone here doesn't know it, that's an incredible accomplishment. Did you go into the navy by way of ROTC, OCD, ·the Academy ? How long did you serve? How did you transition into the bike shop? I'd love to hear as I'm sure others would too.

Mike
·
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike p View Post
Peter, I'd love to hear your condensed ·bio. I've been on the forum for years and didn't know you were a navy pilot! If I were a naval aviator everyone this side of the mississippi would know it cause I'd never stop bragging about it. ·If anyone here doesn't know it, that's an incredible accomplishment. Did you go into the navy by way of ROTC, OCD, ·the Academy ? How long did you serve? How did you transition into the bike shop? I'd love to hear as I'm sure others would too.

Mike
·
NROTC via university of Colorado. 20 years, dec 1972 till Jan. 1993.

Lucky to become a fleet aviator, F-4 and F-14. Spent about 74 months at sea in those 20 years. It was exciting, great sense of accomplishment. A runner, saw the light, started riding in 1985. When I left the USN, got interviewed by United, got turned down, decided to do the bike shop gig. Glad I did.

Having a USN pension gives one a lot of flexibility.

Miss the ready room. The gents I flew with, the guys that kept the things fixed, special breed.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Friend of mine is a F-18 squadron commander. He told me that the blue angels gig was not as desirable as what he does which is going to sea 6 months at a time on a carrier, the blue angels guys have to work 360 days a year with all of the airshows. I thought that was interesting. He has done many many missions over Afganistan and Iraq.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Thank you Peter. Very cool and makes my life seem incredibly boring :-). You've got tons to be proud of.

Mike
Old 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM

Are the F'ing wings 'bending' at :55 ???