Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
FlashUNC's Avatar
FlashUNC FlashUNC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 9,319
I'd go with eTap personally.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 AM
solrider solrider is offline
solrider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28
new ultegra di2 vs old? pros and cons?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-12-2017, 06:41 AM
shovelhd's Avatar
shovelhd shovelhd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 6,045
Define "new" and "old".
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Bob Ross's Avatar
Bob Ross Bob Ross is offline
Registered (ab)User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd say try to ride a bike with it, try it with thick gloves as well.
^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't



It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
ptourkin ptourkin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
^^^This. If you do any winter cycling, see how the buttons work* with your favorite gloves/mittens.

*...or don't



It's another compelling reason to check out eTap imho.
I finished a winter 200k in 34f temps using Di2 with my fingers almost in fists because I pulled the lining of my glove in past the fingers and couldn't/didn't sort it out. I don't personally think the two buttons are hard to distinguish with mittens. YMMV
__________________
HollandExogrid
Moots
Seven
Langster
Kogswell
Brompton
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM
chiasticon chiasticon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairb View Post
If running a sub optimal chainline is the major issue, surely you can hear the chain contacting the FD when in big/big and feel the drive chain slack when in small/small?
that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
alastairb alastairb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
that was my first thought. Shimano is very quick to tell you your chainline sucks. that was the main reason I liked di2: crisp Shimano shifting, but you didn't have to adjust the FD indexing when you were cross-chained. I did enjoy it but it wasn't mind-blowing for me. mechanical shifting is pretty excellent these days. depends what your priorities are though; it's more set and forget, that's for sure. if you hate bike maintenance or aren't skilled with it, it's 100% the way to go.
Agreed: I've got mechanical on one and electronic on the other. Find mechanical much more tactile, but I bore of changing cables and fine tuning indexing. "Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
chiasticon chiasticon is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: northeast ohio
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairb View Post
"Fresh" mechanical is excellent; 8 weeks down the line, less so....
sealed cables
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Mark McM Mark McM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
sealed cables
I've switched almost entirely over to using sealed cable systems. As you say, they keep their performance for much longer than non-sealed systems. They are more expensive than non-sealed systems, but mechanical shifters/derailleurs plus a lifetime supply of sealed cables is still less expensive than electronic shifters/derailleurs.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
jwd jwd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 10
I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Curious though, how long is the battery life on these?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:08 PM
PaMtbRider PaMtbRider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: York, Pa.
Posts: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Curious though, how long is the battery life on these?
Depends on how much you ride. My wife's Di2 gravel bike probably gets charged twice a year. I think riding every day you could still easily get a couple months.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Wasatch Wasatch is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I feel like I have enough gadgets I have to charge. I know you don't have to charge battery that often but sometimes I just want to go on a ride and not worry about plugging anything in.

Curious though, how long is the battery life on these?
I charge mine about once/quarter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.