Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBikeChick View Post
It’s gorgeous and fun to ride.
The Durango to Silverton leg definitely gets your vert in, too.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:50 PM

Another fan of the Cabot Trail

PICT3727_xx by Dan Murphy, on Flickr

PICT3650_x by Dan Murphy, on Flickr
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
That's interesting. I was advised in no uncertain terms while touring in 2008 to avoid riding a bicycle solo through the South Dakota reservations when faced with the option of southern SD or northern Nebraska. Nebraska definitely wasn't a highlight but I chose it for safety reasons at the time.
I received similar advice but took my chances and I believe I had a better time for it. That said, I can imagine where and how a less savvy, social or just plain unlucky tourist could run into trouble.

The general advice to avoid reservations extends far beyond the worlds of cycling and it deserves its own thread. Its a deep, dense and sad; a heavily loaded topic tbh; but I will say most people that offered that advice to me, a cyclist, weren't cyclists themselves and I doubt they could understand how much harder physically it could be to just go a longer distance around it.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:36 PM
ZhugeLiang

Blue Ridge Parkway

Spur of the moment solo biking trip several years ago.

Unforgettable.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:31 PM

There's just so much to choose from. I'm lucky enough to be able to ride about 30 minutes and be on the Blue Ridge parkway.

The Badlands Loop Road road would be a beautiful ride.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:55 PM

This section of PCH between Ventura and Santa Barbara is pretty nice.
Part of it is on a frontage road next to ocean and part is on a separated bike path.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:12 PM
but not really

I rode north Cascade highway, going to the sun, and chief Joseph scenic byway as part of a cross country ride in 2008. All were stunning, all in different ways. Cascade highway was probably the coolest because it took multiple days and was early in my journey so I hadn't already seen anything so mesmerizing.

I also rode nearly 100 miles on a 4 lane highway through South Dakota. That was not mesmerizing. Neither were the endless corn fields and headwinds of Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is one of the most scenic drives that is really nice on the bike.
My brother-in-law recommended that to us at least a decade ago, and it's been on our bucket list ever since...but sadly, have yet to get there, and now that we no longer live in the NE, probably won't for quite some time. But glad to hear it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab View Post
Sky Island Parkway National Scenic Byway
Came in to post ^^^this.

Also, Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu CA ...although I understand why some folks might not consider the 70mph auto traffic three feet away from the bike lane "cycle-friendly"
Old 04-29-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
My brother-in-law recommended that to us at least a decade ago, and it's been on our bucket list ever since...but sadly, have yet to get there, and now that we no longer live in the NE, probably won't for quite some time. But glad to hear it's worth it.

Came in to post ^^^this.

Also, Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu CA ...although I understand why some folks might not consider the 70mph auto traffic three feet away from the bike lane "cycle-friendly"
The Santa Monica mountains are fantastic. The people watching on Venice Beach is always a real treat. Cycling the PCH sucks.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:16 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
This could be mis-read. There is only a short section of PCH in Malibu that has an actual bike lane (just north of Zuma beach), and even there it's simply white painted lines on the shoulder. I know I'm inured to its scenic beauty, but really there's no way to enjoy the scenery while riding your bike on PCH as you need to fully devote your attention to the traffic. The possible exception is the stretch heading north from around Trancas Canyon (pro tip: ride along Broad Beach Road) up to Las Posas Road, traffic is generally lighter and there's a decent shoulder.

The good stuff is in the canyons off of PCH, many options with amazing vistas, but ya gotta like to climb.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:09 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Cycling the PCH sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I know I'm inured to its scenic beauty, but really there's no way to enjoy the scenery while riding your bike on PCH as you need to fully devote your attention to the traffic.

I guess we each like what we like. I've cycled the PCH on three separate occasions over the last ~15 years and every time I found it wonderfully exhilarating.

(Well, except for that time I was fighting a hellacious headwind for the entire southbound leg.)

Then again, I'm from NYC, so riding near auto traffic doesn't seem to faze me like it does some cyclists. :::shrugs:::
Old 04-30-2024, 04:33 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I guess we each like what we like. I've cycled the PCH on three separate occasions over the last ~15 years and every time I found it wonderfully exhilarating.

(Well, except for that time I was fighting a hellacious headwind for the entire southbound leg.)

Then again, I'm from NYC, so riding near auto traffic doesn't seem to faze me like it does some cyclists. :::shrugs:::
Good for you, Bob, I'm glad that you have enjoyed it. As I said, riding it at least once a week my perspective is far from that of a visitor -- it's the TT portion of the ride to get it done as quickly as possible.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:51 AM

Probably the most interesting and scenic route I've been on in the US was part of a cross country cycling trip with a tent and panniers many years ago. From Phoenix, Arizona to Gallup, New Mexico.

From Phoenix up to Wickenburg, Congress, Prescott, Cottonwood, and on to Sedona. Then up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff, then via 180 and 64 to South Rim of Grand Canyon. Then east to Cameron, then to Tuba City and then on 264 through Navajo and Hopi Reservations and on to Gallup.

The ride through the two Reservations was the most unique cycling experience I've ever had. I can't think of any other way of describing than just saying it was other-worldly and spiritual. It was incredibly desolate, dry, windy, hot, and beautiful.