Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
LOVE Cahin-L. If you absolutely strip and dry your chain, apply a teeny weeny drop to each link, let it soak in a while, wipe the mother loving bejeezus out of it, I've found it stays clean. Super quiet chain and it lasts forever.
Agreed. If you limit the application per quote, and wipe the chain down occasionally, it doesn't seem to get any dirtier than anything else I've tried.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
I <Heart> Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
LOVE Cahin-L. If you absolutely strip and dry your chain, apply a teeny weeny drop to each link, let it soak in a while, wipe the mother loving bejeezus out of it, I've found it stays clean. Super quiet chain and it lasts forever.
If you apply Chain-L off the bike (spread chain out on newspaper), there's less excess to wipe off, etc.

I posted my Chain-L review here:
http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=2208
Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM

I've been testing different lubes (sounds like several of us) after I had a conversation with my buddy about this subject. I'm a clean drivetrain freak so I found his method interesting.

I'd been using Chain-L which is OK (changed from Rock 'n Roll...too wet) . It is thick and smells funny but if you apply it as they recommend and wipe the devil off of your chain after you ride, it lasts a long time and is fairly, but not squeaky, clean. I reapplied after about 1k miles just because I was paranoid.

My buddy was using a wax/graphite home brew that he liked a lot. Fairly easy to apply, kept the drive train clean, long mileage, etc.

The technique surfaced around 2009 in a Bicycling thread here: (it's down a way on the page, Garth is the main character.) http://forums.bicycling.com/eve/foru...7/m/1941016826

The logic of adding graphite appealed to me so I tried this on a new chain and I liked the result, but it's a hassle to remove the chain and dip it. There is some clean up required as well. This mixture is black so I cleaned off the side links and poked out the hollow pins. After that, any excess would really just fall off after I rode a bit. Really dry and clean.

The problem I had was that I couldn't tell how long it was lasting. So I rewaxed after 500 miles out of paranoia. I actually got comments on how clean I was keeping my drivetrain from my buddies.

I liked this result but when I got into a time pinch and felt like I needed to rewax, I just did a quick link-by-link touch up with Chain-L over the wax/graphite and I was in good shape.

Trouble is that if I decide to go back to the wax, I'll need to remove the chain (I use quick links but still...) thoroughly clean it, and then wax if I want it back to new. Plus obviouysly clean the chainwheels and cassette just to get squeaky clean.

Still thinking about it.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Anyone here tried Lilly Lube? http://lillylube.com/
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

I switched from chain L to NFS chain lube. Can't be happier.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

I was a Prolink guy, but DA 7900 chain was just too clacky with it, so went with Chain-L. It works great and quiets everything down but is a process to get on properly and your rear wheel will be spritzed with oil for a few rides. I just recently switched to DA 9070 and the chain is dramatically quieter, so I'm hoping to go back to (much easier to use) Prolink.

All that said, any lube will work fine as long as you use it; a bike chain is a pretty low stress environment for any lube to handle.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Anyone tried this stuff?

Boesheild T-9: http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/bicycles/

If you can believe their poop sheet, sounds like good stuff:

"Boeshield T-9® was developed and licensed by The Boeing Company to fill their need for a superior lubricant/protectant.

The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months.

We began by successfully introducing Boeshield T-9® to the tough saltwater marine market for lubricating and protecting all metals. It works well on engines and deck hardware as well as electronics, batteries and wiring connections. It is non-conductive and will not cause short circuits.

For bicycle chains, T-9® has proven to be a tough, long lasting waterproof lubricant. Our sales keep growing every year despite many competitors."
Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokeValley View Post
Anyone tried this stuff?

Boesheild T-9: http://boeshield.com/features-benefits/bicycles/

If you can believe their poop sheet, sounds like good stuff:
Good product but better for other applications than as a chain lube. I jumped on it 20+ years ago when it was introduced. Chain got noisy after 150-200 miles. Have used it as a "frame saver" solution on new frames with good results tho. Works well on unpainted/unplated steel to keep it from rusting.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 PM

Anyone tried the VSalon-Too Tall chain lube?
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Anyone tried the VSalon-Too Tall chain lube?
Interested also.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

First forum member will excess of 150 posts who PMs me with their name, shipping address gets a approx. 80% full bottle of Chain-L lube. Be patient, you may not hear back from me until later on Wednesday.

NFS is the lube asked about in recent posts, stuff is good. I've been really pleased with application and use. You do need to wipe your chain down after every ride. If you're not keen on doing that...it's not a lube for you.

Link for NFS if you're in a shopping mood: http://ballersride.com/shop/nixfrixshun-chainlube-nfs

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 07-31-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
You do need to wipe your chain down after every ride.
For folks who feel that they haven't been spending enough time on their bike maintenance...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Is the bicycle chain lubricant market over-saturated?
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
Is the bicycle chain lubricant market over-saturated?
But some of those don't have much market penetration...

In a related matter, I can't be the only one who's wondered why there are so many different brands of bike tires out there. (most of which probably come from two factories in Indonesia)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
First forum member... bottle of Chain-L lube.
The Lube has been claimed and on its way today.