Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2016, 04:39 PM

Mail Theft From My Residence.

Hello,
I thought it would be smart to inquire here: I ordered a set of thomson titanium mountain bars on ebay and the tracking number information says they were delivered on March 26 at 11 am, but there is no package to be found. I assume that they were stolen. Does anybody have any experience with this? I contacted the seller on ebay to let them know what happened, and am awaiting a response from them, hoping they got insurance on the bars.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, and rest assured the "support your LBS" rule will be followed from here on out.

Thank you
Adam
Old 03-27-2016, 04:41 PM

I get everything delivered to my job for this reason.

I don't think the seller or usps will be responsible for this.

You'll have to take it on the chin.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I get everything delivered to my job for this reason.

I don't think the seller or usps will be responsible for this.

You'll have to take it on the chin.
oh man
Old 03-27-2016, 04:46 PM

I'd say it depends. Did it require signature? If not and tracking says delivered, you may be out of luck. Could always see if eBay or Paypal will cover it under one of their buyer protection things (or alternatively if your credit card has some sort of buyer coverage). But otherwise I'd say you may be SOL. Sorry.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Lanterne rouge

Yep, once they are marked delivered its on you.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Maybe a neighbor has it and will make its way to you. Over the years I've had a few parcels misdelivered to me. One time I took a misdelivered parcel to my neighbor and found a parcel addressed to me on their doorstep lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I have had experiences where a package was said to be delivered to my house but when we asked UPS to check with the driver we found out it was once delivered to a neighbor and once delivered a few streets away! So start by trying to find out exactly where the specific driver placed that package.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
Yep, once they are marked delivered its on you.
so, in theory, what, if anything, could have been done to prevent this? tell seller to require sig confirmation???
Old 03-27-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
I have had experiences where a package was said to be delivered to my house but when we asked UPS to check with the driver we found out it was once delivered to a neighbor and once delivered a few streets away! So start by trying to find out exactly where the specific driver placed that package.
i will try this. thank you!
Old 03-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
so, in theory, what, if anything, could have been done to prevent this? tell seller to require sig confirmation???
Yeah, at least then it shouldnt have gotten left on the porch.
Maybe.

Look around the house. Maybe in the bushes?
Old 03-27-2016, 04:54 PM

thanks everybody for the helpful responses.

I am going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and try to use every avenue i can before accepting the loss.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:21 PM
Administrator

wait until Monday. this has happened often with me, and the package gets delivered the next business day. i think often if the driver thinks he will deliver a package he will check off a bunch in bulk as "delivered", even if he misses a few at the end of his shift. it may just show up tomorrow, dont panic until then.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
wait until Monday. this has happened often with me, and the package gets delivered the next business day. i think often if the driver thinks he will deliver a package he will check off a bunch in bulk as "delivered", even if he misses a few at the end of his shift. it may just show up tomorrow, dont panic until then.
+1 on this. Definitely get in touch with the carrier (i.e.-Fedex/UPS) and start some sort of ticket so they start to look for it. Or check any other spots like people have said.

Also, I don't know what your mailing situation is like, but in cases where there's no mailbox at an address, normal delivery can get messed up by a kind of "hybrid" delivery. I guess sometimes UPS, et al. hand off to USPS, who then try to deliver. Sometimes, if there's no mailbox, packages can go back to the PO and sit. Worth checking at the PO. It's happened to me once, so don't know how likely it would be.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Not necessarily

Many mailboxes on our street are at the end of driveways, a fair distance from the houses

Sometimes the delivery guys get lazy and leave packages at the mail boxes

There was a string of thefts and the carrier/seller made good as they were essentially left at the side of the road

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 PM

A lot depends on the carrier and location. Who ever said they left you with the package needs to be contacted. They will want to locate your package since you don't have it. I've seen it all here in ruralville USA. The USPS is really the most insane. They had an item marked as delivered for a day and a half. I checked the box and there was nothing. I would regularly get a key to open a box with someone else's package. I called them up. Come to find out packages get delivered on a seperate truck and the carrier was "new". He/she just kept driving it back and forth 13 miles from the main distribution center until the boss said someone wants their package. Tada package arrives. UPS is a close second. Signature confirmation here means you're headed to the main distribution center no matter what, and you better do it within X amount of time. These guys and gals will leave your package where ever is easiest at their convenience. Seems like fedex is about 75/25. Normally I just ask to pick it up at the center just down the street from work. The rest I don't deal with enough to know. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease!