Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2024, 03:20 PM

I’ll pile on with Engin. Mine is anodized brown- doesn’t really match my King matte bourbon bits, but close enough.

David
Old 03-04-2024, 08:16 PM

Salsa Lip Lock. The pivoting bolt is a brilliant idea. I have one on my ATB. Many colors to choose from.

DKG-I have one on my road bike. Simple and works. If you need extra clamping force, dkg makes a "mountain bike" version with a larger bolt.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM

I prefer those that use a 4mm bolt instead of a 3mm one, which tends to round out over time. 4mm can be tightened without worry.

I am one who seems to be constantly micro-adjusting my seatpost, for whatever reason. Call me Eddy, I guess.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:25 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyhistoric View Post
I think the DKG were the de facto "standard" on Seven and Indy Fabs for years. Very secure in a slim and subtle design.
I put a new DKG on my Seven and it looks great. I wish they came in colors.
I have Wolftooth clamps on a couple of other bikes. They are nice but I wish they had a no-logo option.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:09 AM

Wolftooth for me now.

Tried many such as Salsa, DKG, Thomson, KCNC etc.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:19 PM

I think the Engin double is going to work beautifully on this one...it's got a lot of tubing over the top tube, so this might break it up a bit, visually...

(yea, that's powdercoated Ti! The bottom half is polished)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sampson seat cluster.jpg (109.5 KB, 188 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-05-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:21 PM

Another vote for Wolftooth. Barrel nut design FTW.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:10 PM

With me you’re asking the wrong person since I still like light but with that said I also prefer durability and functionality over light. On my main road bike I do have a Darimo Sub 4. My Blue AC1 has a priority clamp so the bolt has been replaced with a titanium bolt, my California bike has a Tune clamp. All other bikes have New Ultimate 6.2 gram clamps. Did break one sub 4 about a year ago that they replaced and the with New Ultimate clamps after several years I have broke two and do have spares laying around. Light is okay but if it’s a frequently used bike don’t be surprised if it fails ima few years. That is why I keep a spare clamp in my tool bag and revolve those depending which bike I’m on. Size differences.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:40 PM

Ok legit question here. I know a guy getting a steel frame, to which he will use a carbon post. I’ve seen some people rotate the seat clamp 180 degrees so the seat clamp’s slot is opposite the slot on the seat tube. Most people have the clamp’s slot in line with the slot cut into the seat tube. Anyone want to weigh in on pros and cons?
Old 03-05-2024, 08:56 PM

DKG for me. It just works and works better. No creaking and no slipping.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
Ok legit question here. I know a guy getting a steel frame, to which he will use a carbon post. I’ve seen some people rotate the seat clamp 180 degrees so the seat clamp’s slot is opposite the slot on the seat tube. Most people have the clamp’s slot in line with the slot cut into the seat tube. Anyone want to weigh in on pros and cons?
It has to do with the slot digging in to the carbon when the clamp is cinched down.

My Soulcraft came with a seat tube I.D. reducer sleeve. If I recall, instructions were to misalign the seat tube slot and the reducer's slot for just this purpose.
As long as the clamp can provide enough force to keep the post from slipping I see no reason to not do it.

Kind of interesting because you can't do anything with some lugged steel frames that have integral clamps with their seat lugs such as Richard Sachs but you don't hear anything about seatpost failures with his frames.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:30 PM

Salsa. Variety of colors and sizes. Beautiful. Pretty much all I use unless it's a Serotta....I always use Serotta collars on Serotta frames. I use Fizik seatpost rings too.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 03-15-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:34 AM

For Ti, I like the Firefly clamp.

I have one on my Lynskey.

I also like the one from Paul (on my Ahearne), as well as the Thomson (on the Kona Raijin)..

SPP
Old 03-07-2024, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
For Ti, I like the Firefly clamp.

I have one on my Lynskey.

I also like the one from Paul (on my Ahearne), as well as the Thomson (on the Kona Raijin)..

SPP
Firefly, as I'm sure you already know, makes a nice Ti steerer top cap as well with built-in 5mm spacer.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:09 AM

My Zanconato gravel bike came with a Thomson, which looks nice but wouldn’t keep the seatpost from slipping. The 3mm bolt wasn’t enough either. I know in theory we don’t need a lot of force, but for whatever reason this wasn’t the right clamp for the job.

I guess I didn’t hunt around for a nice one and just bought some generic clamp on Amazon and it works just fine. Seatpost slippage is over. There are some nice ones here though and the Wolftooth clamp is kind of intriguing. But I likely won’t be changing because mine now just works.