Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
ls1togo ls1togo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pinehurst NC
Posts: 15
Flaky Garmin 810?

I've owned several Garmin GPS computers and my current one is a Edge 810 which over the last year has been great. Recently on clear or only minimally cloudy days with at least a 55-75% battery and it just shut off!..I would turn it back on and the acquisition of the satellites was erratic...and of course, had lost the data that had been recorded...
I've read that some have attributed this to the battery....Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 PM
SoCalSteve SoCalSteve is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA
Posts: 8,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
I've owned several Garmin GPS computers and my current one is a Edge 810 which over the last year has been great. Recently on clear or only minimally cloudy days with at least a 55-75% battery and it just shut off!..I would turn it back on and the acquisition of the satellites was erratic...and of course, had lost the data that had been recorded...
I've read that some have attributed this to the battery....Any ideas?
Couple suggestions...

Delete all the recorded rides already in the memory

Do a soft reset. If not, do a hard reset. If not, call Garmin....
__________________
Livin' the dream!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM
simplemind simplemind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin & Telluride
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Couple suggestions...

Delete all the recorded rides already in the memory

Do a soft reset. If not, do a hard reset. If not, call Garmin....
What he said. I will add that the 810 is Garmin's best product, period.
__________________
Bike lives matter!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:46 PM
tctyres's Avatar
tctyres tctyres is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
What he said. I will add that the 810 is Garmin's best product, period.
I had a bunch of problems with an 810. Garmin wanted me to send it in. I bought it at Nashbar, so I used their $7.99 forever warranty. I sent it to them, and they sent me a new one.

Garmin is pretty good on their warranty (but not as good as Nashbar ).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Dromen's Avatar
Dromen Dromen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,195
I have same model. Had 1000 and few 500 series. Like 810 the best but what OP describes happens every so often. Just figure Garmins work 98% of the time as designed... Plan on malfunctions the other 2%.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 PM
simplemind simplemind is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Austin & Telluride
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I had a bunch of problems with an 810. Garmin wanted me to send it in. I bought it at Nashbar, so I used their $7.99 forever warranty. I sent it to them, and they sent me a new one.

Garmin is pretty good on their warranty (but not as good as Nashbar ).
That's good to know and wished I had known earlier. I bought the new 820 from Backcountry and it was an amazing cluster F---. Tried every update for 6 weeks and finally gave up, only to have Backcountry pull the 30 return policy on me and refused to refund. After much wrangling, was able to get a store credit with a 60 day time limit. Arrgh.

Bought a new 810 on eBay and been very happy with that purchase.
__________________
Bike lives matter!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.