Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Back home again in Indiana!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is THE bike that began a pretty cool little tradition on several IF bikes I purchased back in the day.

I sold this as a had to instead of a want to several years ago. I have followed it via ebay to Boston, Florida, Ireland, and finally San Fran before I had the ability to buy it back. For the age (2009) and usage it is in remarkable shape. The last guy put the stupid decals on the fork and now I am trying to figure out how to get them off...actual decals not just stickers.

This was a gift from my wife (we were dating at the time) and Joe Ingram. They collaborated on this for me and it was the coolest surprise. I am sure somewhere in some archive here you will find me gushing about the experience.

It was a little story I told Joe about how my wife and I began. A little mushy comment I made and it spiraled from there. This was the last Rapha cross bike they made (held it for me) and while there is an upgrade to a carbon fork they also added my "apple" to the back of the seat tube towards the top.

This is one of a few that I am trying/hoping to get back some day. However it is the only one that means the world to me.

I cannot express how excited I am to get this back and to ride the poo out of it.

Not done yet, but you can see it came with loads of matchy matchy orange bits hence my stupid King BB experience.

It is far from done, but you get the gist.

ok, here you go.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Was this the same one that was just on eBay with a flat bar build? Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
v a n i l l a

I wonder if this spent some time at studio velo (old location) in mill valley? If so, saw it a few years ago and the aesthetic schema is just great.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:27 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Yep, contacted him and he worked with me to get it back. Was great to deal with and he had some killer bikes already. Very high end, but cool though.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I wonder if this spent some time at studio velo (old location) in mill valley? If so, saw it a few years ago and the aesthetic schema is just great.
don't know. It was built for me, but they made 21 I think. If it was then even cooler.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM

The colored panels on the white frame look very classy!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

awesome

ha! that's an amazing bike story.

If anything else, that's a keep till the bitter end bike
Old 03-07-2017, 10:44 AM

love it! indy fabs are so friggin' good!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 AM

I can still remember the pics of you racing 'cross on this bike. Man, how time flies. So awesome that you have it back!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 AM

What a great story! I'm still on a 2009 IF singlespeed MTB and it's my favorite bike of all time. Every time I get enamored with a plastic bike I remind myself how much I enjoy steel.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I can still remember the pics of you racing 'cross on this bike. Man, how time flies. So awesome that you have it back!
Brother, I am going to try tubulars again. But I am going to have someone else glue them up. I don't want another fiasco to ensue.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Byron

Nice bike. Will you tell the story behind the apple?
Thanks much.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
Nice bike. Will you tell the story behind the apple?
Thanks much.
ok, but please know this is wicked cheesy...so make sure you are near a trash can.

While my wife and I were dating we would text a lot. It was the easiest way to communicate and it became sort of a little joke. We both had been married before and while we tried very hard to make those work they didn't. So we would discuss our relationships from the past and express what worked and didn't to compare notes and so forth.

One night I was being super cheesy and told her it felt like we were the couple who in the movies were at the outdoor market and both reached for an apple and touched hands. In typical Disney fashion you flash forward and see a wonderful life together. She loved it and it became our little way of telling each other we loved one another. Goofy I know. it also happens we are both school teachers so it became even more appropriate.

So, I tell Joe Ingram, who used to be the CFO at IF, this as we talked every day. That is what folks never got. I love the bikes for sure, but it was Joe, Tyler, Clint, Jaime, Kevin, Gary, Lloyd, Jill, Toni, Chris, etc that I was crazy about. Joe and I emailed daily just stupid stuff or yet another idea I had that IF should implement...they actually did a couple, which was cool. Sorry I digress.

So Joe gave me a super hard time for the apple thing, but it was just brotherly ribbing if you will as he was there for my divorce and many emails and phone calls about it. When IF released the Rapha cross bike I went bananas. I own nothing rapha nor did I , but the color scheme was perfect. I had to have one.

At NAHBS in Indy I introduced Joe to my now wife and they began to chit chat as I was helping out with some other things at an after party. They worked out a way to get the bike done for me as a surprise and Joe put the Apple on it for me to make the bike one of a kind (21 of the same ones were made) and to help celebrate the best lady I have ever known.

I have had other bikes custom made for me since this one and all of them have the apple on it somewhere. I guess it is just my little deal. My IF tattoo has the top of the crown changed to a little apple.

A lot of love went into this bike and the ones after it, hence my relentless love for IF and their employees.

So there you have it. Corny yeah, but still a small peak behind the curtains. I have seen people argue that bikes are just tools and not to give them any sort of personification, but sometimes you come to a bike via a pretty cool manner.

I took the road less traveled for sure...and yes it has made all the difference.

latas

Dave
Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Given that story, it's especially awesome that you got the frame back.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 PM

did u try a blow dryer on the fork decals?