Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 02-02-2017, 10:28 PM

Ice Cold

I've been meaning to post a blurb about my new build (middle of last summer), but haven't taken any great photos, or written anything. Conveniently, a friend took care of both (unsolicited even).
So, this is an opportunity to shamelessly show off my new bike, draw some attention to my incredible LBS (Blacksmith Cycle, Toronto), and also shine some light on a new friend that writes a great blog (lifeisabeautifuldetail)- which is where amongst other great posts you'll find some fantastic photos and an overview.

https://lifeisabeautifuldetail.com/b...apin-spirit-r8

(pre-new bike)

Blacksmith built me a killer custom steel Alchemy when they were based in Austin, TX, and when I was childless and in much better shape. It was a fairly racey set-up, with some cool kid tricks-

Fast forward a few years and a couple of kids later (read: very little ride time, and very little fitness). Riding a relatively agro geo bike with a 44mm HT, started to beat me up on longer rides. I began thinking about something with a slightly more relaxed geometry that would suit my one-bike reality: club rides, solo jaunts, and being competitive with myself.

(new bike)

Blacksmith and I started to talk about direction.

Material: from steel I knew I wasn't going carbon, probably not aluminum (even though I had ridden a surprisingly smooth aluminum Cyfac some years earlier), and Ti didn't do it for me (no offence to any diehards). The decision to stick with steel was a no-brainer.

Builder: I was really diggin Stoemper's aesthetic, but felt like I'd be rebuilding what I already had, they got scratched. There was a beautiful emerald green lugged Rauler in the shop that would have been spot on, but for whatever reason I couldn't wrap my head around the lugs (still no reason why). I did like the idea of an Italian bike though. The other option was a Cherubim (I know, not Italian). They're beautifully made, and I think very sharp, but there's a time commitment involved that didn't jive with my impatience. Scapin came knocking and I opened the door.

The Scapin Spirit has seen a number of iterations, this is the latest. It's TIG welded, Columbus Spirit Mega tubing, with a 1-1/8 HT, a 27.2mm ST, and a standard English BB. Thought I wanted a braze-on FD, but opted for a clamp; the Parlee clamp is so clean, you just can't go wrong!

Colour was immediately a choice between two of the five historic colours: red, white, black, ice blue and ruby red. Ruby red intrigued me, but I'm not a (ruby) red bike kinda guy- ice blue was the winner. The Rauler had me thinking- I like chrome! I wanted the drive side chain stay chromed; Scapin upped the ante and chromed the entire rear triangle!

Chorus was the answer of course.

Wheels: Tune Schwarzbrenner 25mm rims on Tune Mig 70 / Mag 180 hubs. These guys are great. Previously a little graphically loud- Schwartzbrenner really screamed at you, so I got rid of the logos.

The wheels are all black so the components were going to match, but all that black was a little overpowering; we switched gears and went silver- Tune post, stem and headset. King Stainless cages. Extralite expander and sexy Italian lady top cap. Went a little bar nuts and put on a Schmolke Compact. Tan sidewalls will replace my now bald all black rubber in the Spring (I think tan is the right choice). Ideally I'll add a silver frame pump then and keep the black to a minimum, save the cables, bar tape, and saddle- a suede San Marco Supercorsa.

Overall this guy is a winner. The 1-1/8" headtube is substantially more mellow in the front end than the previous 44mm, and it's much lighter. We lengthened the seat stays and dropped the BB (72mm). HT angle is 71.5*, ST angle 73.5*. Bike handling is great, predictable but still lively. If talking skis, I'd say the tips are de-tuned just enough to engage confidently without being grabby.

A series of pre- and post-build photos are on the lifeisabeautifuldetail blog post (link above)

A couple of my own quickies below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 05:16 AM

very nice and well thought out build....congrats!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Shifty Member

Wow, that is just flat out nice. love the transition from the color to the chrome.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Super

Looks great. Well done!!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:26 PM

That's a sharp bike. And thanks for the good write up.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:51 AM

Gorgeous.

A Scapin R8 in that Ice Blue color has been a dream frameset of mine for years.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:35 PM

That Saddle!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:20 PM

An oldie but a goodie

Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 AM

The bike is as good as the well-written write up. Thank you and great ride. Enjoy it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM

A small update on the heels of some recent posts.
My Contis, having seen better days are now serving as spares. Replacements: Dugast 27s, Strada Silk, tan sidewalls.
No ride time yet, so can't speak to any change in character, but I'm predicting a magic carpet ride.
I'm also in mid-update of bartape/saddle cover. Ryan at Adarga (Law Tanning) dialled me in with some special navy tape and matching saddle leather. The bars have been rewrapped, but the saddle is still in progress. Looking forward to the matching set, hoping complete the recover in the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 PM

Saddle recover ongoing; first re-foam attempt- partial success (I learned something). Unfortunately, try number one ended in a flop.
When I stripped the original suede cover it took a bit of the original foam with it, more than I had wanted to lose, so I decided to strip the original foam entirely and start fresh. I'm not 100% sure that the foam I've found is a 1:1 match to the factory, but it seems to be ok. I found foam at a local factory, but the density seems a little off.
(If anyone has a lead on saddle foam supply- feel free to speak up)
I laminated with Super 77, the plan being to sand by hand to match the original shape and thickness.
Things we're going well until they weren't. I sanded a little too much and lost a chunk.
Second attempt to come soon.
Some progress photos
(From strip to now)

Last edited by beeemmjay; 05-22-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:15 PM

Old 06-16-2017, 08:09 PM

lovely bicycle
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM

Saddle Recover - take 2 (sort of)

I've been trying to source some new EVA foam to complete my Supercorsa recover project, but have been having some trouble actually ordering the material.
In the meantime, I've reviewed past saddles that have worked and evaluated what went wrong. I rode a Tune Komm Vor, that for quite a while was great... until it wasn't (which led me to my current Supercorsa).
So while waiting for new foam, I figured I'd recover one to see how it may work out.
The whole Komm Vor recover process was pretty fast - really just a couple of hours as I already had the leather. The saddle was partially covered in leather already; rather than stripping that, I kept it to act as a slim padding. All I did was trim the flap that wrapped around the underside of the saddle. I used barge cement to adhere the new leather - which in this case I think was much easier to control than a spray adhesive. Because the saddle is all carbon, and the rails are quite tight to the body in places, I trimmed the leather as I went. The toughest part was pulling it all together neatly around underside of the nose, where it obviously narrows considerably. All in all, it was reasonably painless, and I think the end result is pretty slick. I took it out for an early morning ride today. In profile, the KV isn't too dissimilar to the SC, as it isn't dead flat as some more current saddles; they both have a bit of a hammock shape. The additional layer of leather really softened the ride quality of the KV.
So, a long winded rundown of a quickie saddle recover job, that I'd say turned out pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (97.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (103.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (118.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg image8.jpg (110.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg image11.jpg (111.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg image12.jpg (125.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg image13.jpg (132.7 KB, 103 views)