Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 01-08-2017, 11:25 AM

The number of parameters is daunting

I am not sure I would want to be a bike fitter

I am been dialing in my own fit for 2 weeks. I had been in a different position and wanted to take a new look at things. Boy what a journey.

Between crank length, cleat position, saddle height and setback, stem height and length, bar reach , width and drop I am pretty entrenched.

Each day is a centimeter here or there. Jeez.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:35 PM

A ~cm at a time are petty big jumps, IMO. I'd be inclined to make more marginal adjustments and spend longer time in the saddle evaluating. I'd start with the cleat position and go from there. Just my 2 centavos.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
A ~cm at a time are petty big jumps, IMO. I'd be inclined to make more marginal adjustments and spend longer time in the saddle evaluating. I'd start with the cleat position and go from there. Just my 2 centavos.
Appreciated. Funny the cleats just got revised today. I kind of decided I am not that out of the ordinary so I better have good rational for having any parameter to far from that.

My saddle has been changing maybe a .5cm here and there but I changed my stem yesterday so that is way different.

I will just keep playing. I am not even really training I am just riding for an hour feeling what there is to feel. I like the changes so far.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Ch- ch- ch- ch- changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post

My saddle has been changing maybe a .5cm here and there but I changed my stem yesterday so that is way different.

I will just keep playing. I am not even really training I am just riding for an hour feeling what there is to feel. I like the changes so far.
I have always done my own bike fit since the '70s when their were only a few basic fit rule of thumbs.

For me, the perfect bike fit has been a fleeting thing. I'd say over the last 10 years, my fit has ... slid the saddle back, raised the bars, bigger frames, dropped the saddle, dropped the bars, smaller frames, moved the saddle forward, you get the idea.

I go purely on what's comfortable, and that changes based upon my flexibility (better over the years, after getting worse with a back issue), fitness (worse and better from year to year and time of year). Heck, even my preferred saddle changes. For a couple years, turbos were the most comfortable, then rolls, then uncomfortable, now original flites are the best for me, comfort-wise.

There are times I'll be on a long ride, take a half hour lunch break, get back on the bike, and think Whoa, who moved my saddle? Or getting back on the bike will feel like I'm putting on the most comfortable and best fitting pair of gloves I've ever worn, it's just so natural. Until a few months later when something doesn't feel right.

And then I've got about half a dozen bike I ride regularly, and even though I try to get them to fit just the same, one bike will feel different (better or worse), then it feels like I need to change something (and I have a feel for what that change should be) and I get out the tape measure and start changing one bike at a time, as I ride each bike.

Drew
Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Thanks Drew. Fitting is fickle.

I went back to square one today. Kind of a Lemond style; seat height, ball of foot over axle. I had actually been raising my saddle and this was lower by a fair margin. Different in that I felt like I was not extending enough but more versatile and comfortable. I moved my cleats to center over he ball, as well as straitened them a tad.

I guess I went to a pretty basic fit and it felt pretty darn good for 90 minutes in the trainer. I am living the back side alone for now and working on the front. I need a tad more reach.