Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-30-2016, 04:16 PM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
2000 'new' Lemond Zurich 55 cm fit - advice?

Hi,

Advice? I was told it was a 53 cm (54.5cm ETT) but once it arrived it turns out it is a 55 cm (56.5cm ETT). I think he measured the seat tube...

year 2000, never ridden, never built.

It also got a wee paint/chip/ding as it wasn't packages super well, but its the real deal. New old stock.

Currently ride a Serotta CIII 54 cm, with a 120mm stem

Inseam 80 cm, height 174 cm, competitive cyclist fit program puts me on a 55 cm with their fit.

So should I send it back? Should I just put it together with a 100mm stem? Should I sell it to someone who it would fit and would appreciate it?

I have read a lot on lemonds and they all say the fit big...so from what I think I need, its too big....

I will add, he told me it was a 2001 for which I hastily bought a 1 1/8 enve fork for it and that slightly annoyed me...along with the bad packaging but it is still a beautiful bike.

Advice?

thanks!

Last edited by Eeberhar; 10-30-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-30-2016, 05:56 PM
ultraman6970 ultraman6970 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,354
I would start posting a picture of your serotta. I know that the logic says... hey I can make it work with a shorter stem but is hard to tell because who knows how your fit is. If you fit like me (im tad taller than you) that lemond would be too big all over the place.

If your fit is like a bear riding a bmx (just making up stuff), with the stem angle up and really high, well the longer front tube wont make any difference and probably you wont notice the difference in the handling either. thats why I asked for the picture of your serotta. Riders that have upright fit won't IMO wont notice any change even if they ride a frame that is too big, road bike with hybrid fit rider have a bike that handles wrong all over the place.

If your fit is kind'a racy but not that low (that is what I call normal or what it should be) then you will feel the difference in the handling of the bike big time, maybe not.

IMO if you have a difference of like 1.5 cm to 2 cm in the front tube (being the lemond the larger one) i would not even bother trying it. But that's just me.

ps: I would have picked the same size you thought it was.

Last edited by ultraman6970; 10-30-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
pics!

2 bikes in question and the hastily bought fork
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161030_190107.jpg (65.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161027_221324.jpg (111.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161027_221139.jpg (64.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161029_153648.jpg (37.5 KB, 217 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-30-2016, 06:16 PM
stephenmarklay stephenmarklay is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeberhar View Post
Hi,

Advice? I was told it was a 53 cm (54.5cm ETT) but once it arrived it turns out it is a 55 cm (56.5cm ETT). I think he measured the seat tube...

year 2000, never ridden, never built.

It also got a wee paint/chip/ding as it wasn't packages super well, but its the real deal. New old stock.

Currently ride a Serotta CIII 54 cm, with a 120mm stem

Inseam 80 cm, height 174 cm, competitive cyclist fit program puts me on a 55 cm with their fit.

So should I send it back? Should I just put it together with a 100mm stem? Should I sell it to someone who it would fit and would appreciate it?

I have read a lot on lemonds and they all say the fit big...so from what I think I need, its too big....

I will add, he told me it was a 2001 for which I hastily bought a 1 1/8 enve fork for it and that slightly annoyed me...along with the bad packaging but it is still a beautiful bike.

Advice?

thanks!
Yeah probably big. I ride a 57 and that is the right size Lemond. If it were a 72.5 STA like the bigger 57 it might work a but better.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2016, 07:05 PM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
how hard to sell?

Are the Lemonds hard to sell? Do folks think the frame would move at 265 USD? Such as shame, it's was to be my 'second' bike.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 PM
ultraman6970 ultraman6970 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,354
Thanks for the pictures.... you are around 74 cm saddle height or so?

Measure the front tubes... they look really close to me (hope is not due to the angle of the picture), you use a few spacers plus a lot of seat post... maybe with an 11 stem you might ok, same seatback. Lemonds tend to have a lot of slack in the seat tube, would not surprise me that with an 11 cm stem your reach could be really close to the serotta.

Put wheels, a seatpost with a saddle and a 11 stem in there, do the measurements. U dont need to put the whole bike together you know, just mimic the position and you will know. IMO based in the pictures they arent that off. Thought the lemond was going to look way bigger.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 PM
stephenmarklay stephenmarklay is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeberhar View Post
Are the Lemonds hard to sell? Do folks think the frame would move at 265 USD? Such as shame, it's was to be my 'second' bike.
No they are not hard to sell. They are a bit of a dime a dozen but they are decent bikes and recognized as so. Since its a 1” too bad it did not come with the fork.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 10-30-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
fork

Agreed!

He told me it was a 2001 which is is 1 1/8th....

I should have been more diligent...c'est la vie.

Headtube is 13.4 mm, and my 54 CIII has has head tube of 13.5...

Go figure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:25 AM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
current seat height on CIII

You are close - 73 cm

The ETT on the lemond is 2 cm longer than the CIII.

Than for the help!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:47 AM
ultraman6970 ultraman6970 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 16,354
Mock the fit with a 12 or 11 cm stem, it will be really close man.

The serotta has a longer front tube, the lemond is long and low, actually the front tube is maybe what it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 PM
StanleySteamer StanleySteamer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 156
I had the same problem with a 55 cm lemond. I should have bought a 53 cm frame.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 AM
Eeberhar Eeberhar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 37
55 vs 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleySteamer View Post
I had the same problem with a 55 cm lemond. I should have bought a 53 cm frame.

What did you end up doing? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 PM
benb benb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,701
No way that thing will handle badly for you with a 100mm stem. Since when is 120mm a normal or minimum required stem length for your height/size?

Build it up and try it, it will be fine. Any difference in handling will have to do with HTA, rake, trail, and wheelbase differences. The fact that you won't be using the stock fork will also have a bigger impact than the stem length.

The idea that a 120 will be fine and a 100 will be horrible is just velominati internet fun.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-01-2016, 01:51 PM
stephenmarklay stephenmarklay is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
No way that thing will handle badly for you with a 100mm stem. Since when is 120mm a normal or minimum required stem length for your height/size?

Build it up and try it, it will be fine. Any difference in handling will have to do with HTA, rake, trail, and wheelbase differences. The fact that you won't be using the stock fork will also have a bigger impact than the stem length.

The idea that a 120 will be fine and a 100 will be horrible is just velominati internet fun.
Agreed. I am running a 100 on my CSI and I have if pretty high up which makes it effectively shorter. No issues like that. I would not want to go less. I have a bike with too long a top tube and a short stem and it is not great that way.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-01-2016, 02:03 PM
benb benb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,701
No coincidence 100mm is the stock stem length on a lot of 55-56cm off the shelf frames.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.