Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 10-11-2016, 10:37 PM

Saddle for TTing

Hi Paceliners,

I am looking for input. I plan on going back to triathlon next year after 3 years off the sport. I used for years a Romin and switched 3 years ago to a Sitero to try to alleviate issues down there. In these difficult three years, I also changed saddles on all the other bikes, road, cross, mountain, fat, etc. Saddles of choices are Flite Super Flow and SMP Dynamic. If I won the lottery, all my bikes would have Dynamics... They are in hot demand as you know, rightly so.

Now, back to the TT bike and the Sitero. I never really quite liked it as I like to move on the saddle, even on the TT bike. The Sitero is a one position saddle and that's it. I have tried the ISMs, not ideal.

Botton line, I am looking for a saddle I can use in the TT position, a saddle with a long cutout to avoid pressure, and a saddle that allows me to move backwards if I want for climbing for instance like a traditional saddle.

I have been fitted.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. :-)

Thank you.

Fran├žois
Old 10-12-2016, 08:49 AM

I would suggest trying an ISM saddle again positioned optimally. Not having the saddle positioned correctly for the patented ISM design is the number one reason for people who have had a negative experience. Of course I am biased but since you mentioned triathlon, ISM had the most saddles being ridden last weekend at the Ironman World Championships with 734 out of the 2300 athletes using an ISM saddle. This was almost double the amount of the second place. The funny thing is that ISM never made a triathlon saddle, it is a saddle that fits the human body with an increase in health, comfort and performance which has been overwhelmingly been chosen by triathletes and time trialists because of the extreme forward rotation on the bike.

Since you mentioned you like to move fore/aft on the saddle I would suggest trying one of the longer saddles (either from the Performance Narrow or Performance Long series) as these models allow greater movement on the saddle compared to the older Performance Short series.

Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions.

Dave S.
ISM Saddles
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 AM

I used an ISM/Adamo Prologue on my tri bike this year. The bike and position was new to me, and the saddle came after having the bike a few months. It took a while to get it right, even using the info from the ISM website. I played a lot with my fit on the bike with this saddle, more than any saddle in the past just because it is so different from what I was used to a saddle doing. Once I found the sweet spot with tilt & fore/aft it was good and didn't notice the saddle while riding.
There is a performance long in the classifieds if you wanted to give it a try again... not mine, etc.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194116
Old 10-13-2016, 02:03 PM

Thank you very much to both of you. I might give ISM saddles another try. Wondering if out there some of you are using another brand? Anybody using the SMP tri saddles? Curious as I am a Dynamic convert.

F
Old 10-23-2016, 05:35 PM

I have had success with a Bontrager Hilo saddle, plus it comes with a 30 day comfort guarantee; if you don't like it, bring it back, no questions asked. ISMs are a little too wide for my liking.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthefox View Post
Hi Paceliners,

I am looking for input. I plan on going back to triathlon next year after 3 years off the sport. I used for years a Romin and switched 3 years ago to a Sitero to try to alleviate issues down there. In these difficult three years, I also changed saddles on all the other bikes, road, cross, mountain, fat, etc. Saddles of choices are Flite Super Flow and SMP Dynamic. If I won the lottery, all my bikes would have Dynamics... They are in hot demand as you know, rightly so.

Now, back to the TT bike and the Sitero. I never really quite liked it as I like to move on the saddle, even on the TT bike. The Sitero is a one position saddle and that's it. I have tried the ISMs, not ideal.

Botton line, I am looking for a saddle I can use in the TT position, a saddle with a long cutout to avoid pressure, and a saddle that allows me to move backwards if I want for climbing for instance like a traditional saddle.

I have been fitted.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. :-)

Thank you.

Fran├žois
I have a Fizik Ares I just pulled off my TT bike if you're interested. I wanted a longer saddle I could move around on, so bought an Arione TT saddle. Thus is a stock pic, but it looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0376.JPG (12.9 KB, 26 views)