Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM

Wraith Hustle

I bought a Wraith Hustle during their black Friday sale last year. I patiently waited 5 months and took delivery back in May. It's only the second steel bike I've ever owned with my first being a Prestige tubed Kona Kilauea I purchased in 1997 while in college.

I've ridden high-end carbon bikes since I started road riding back in 2005 and the last few years Cannondale Evo's and CAAD's have been my bike of choice. I was looking for a steel entry-level frame set and the Wraith at a price of $850 was perfect. For me, the Wraith is a "gateway bike" to something more exotic and titanium down the road. Probably a Moots or something similar.

I built the Hustle up for maximum fun and to tackle the flat roads of FL. I purchased a Force 1 group and built it up sans front derailleur. I'm riding carbon hoops laced to WI T-11's and finished off with an FSA cockpit. The $850 I paid included a full carbon fork that seems to feature a 43 degree rake. The bike tips the scales a little over 17 lbs pounds with pedals.

So, a word about the fit and finish. The Wraith is not a Hampsten, Pegoretti or even a Rock Lobster. The welds are far from perfect and some might say they're crude compared to others. Ingleheart has left the building but IMO that's ok. Adam, the owner, has created a really interesting brand manufacturing bikes out of Columbus Life tubes here in the US. The paint isn't perfect but the graphics are clean and it has a super cool "sleeper" look. I've gotten numerous positive comments about the Hustle from dudes riding bikes worth more than my car.

The geometry is very different than what I'm used to riding and it's very comfortable while not sacrificing aggressiveness. The sloping top tube is aesthetically pleasing IMO and the little larger head tube is perfect for my fit. Overall, the bike handles like its on rails and power transfer is excellent. The closest thing I have to compare it to is a Moots Vamoots RSL I've ridden on occasion recently and it's obviously not in the same universe but it's also not that far off. I've ridden the Wraith on some very fast training rides and didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything compared to the $10k Pinarellos F8's I'm regularly surrounded by.

To sum this up, for the money I think the Hustle is a fantastic value. I'll continue to ride it and I've been choosing it over the new CAAD12 I recently replaced my EVO with. I wish the welds and paint were better but they don't make a difference on how the bike rides. Overall I would recommend a Wraith to those looking for a killer steel bike on a budget.

I shot this in my studio a few days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wraith.jpg (34.8 KB, 1081 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 08:54 PM

It's a nice shot, in keeping with the spirit of the Wraith. I was thinking that a Wraith could not be red, but Rolls makes a red one, so what do I know? Good to hear that it's a good ride, that's what's it's all about.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 AM

Is that the stock paint and decals? Looks different than the battleship grey ones I've seen.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the write up. That thing is sharp.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

wraith

Great write up and beautiful photo. captured the mood proper.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM

Nice build and photo!

I dig the new darker gray and gold decal.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Category VI

Okay, I want one. When is black friday this year?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Ride Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
Okay, I want one. When is black friday this year?
after the amount of sh*t they got thrown in their face after that last deal, id be SHOCKED if they ever did that again...unfortunate.

great photo and build, looks like a mean machine, i dig
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
after the amount of sh*t they got thrown in their face after that last deal, id be SHOCKED if they ever did that again...unfortunate.

great photo and build, looks like a mean machine, i dig
I was astounded. It's $850.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Very nice! I really like the new color, I've had my paycheck for a while now and I'm still digging it no complaints. Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 PM

That is a gorgeous build and a beautiful photo. Nice work!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 PM

I was looking for a killer steel bike on a budget and this post helped me pull the trigger on one yesterday. Thanks so much!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Delivery times

For those who have purchased the Wraith Hustle on Cyber Monday specials, how long after the final payment did your frame arrive. Were you given any tracking detail?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110defender View Post
For those who have purchased the Wraith Hustle on Cyber Monday specials, how long after the final payment did your frame arrive. Were you given any tracking detail?
Mine took 5 months. Adam was good about responding to emails with updates. I'll be honest, it's not a warm-fuzzy-hold-your-hand-through-the-process kind of transaction and if you're ok with that then you'll be stoked when the frame arrives. Adam is running a very small operation and he can take a day or two to get back to you - sometimes longer. I know some people here on the PL have taken issue with the way Adam does things and I understand where they're coming from. I had low expectations for the money I spent and I decided to be patient. My Hustle is my favorite bike and I've been selling off my other bikes because the Wraith is the one I ride the most. The Hustle geometry has forced me to reconsider my feelings about sloping top tubes and taller head tubes. The bike is comfortable and fast. I'm out beating up on fast dudes on $10k super bikes and I've got about $1600 total into my Wraith build. Only problem is that the Wraith is likely to be a gateway bike to buying a Vamoots RSL
Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 PM

Thanks BCroslin.

I paid the final installment on the 23rd of July, and have heard nothing since.

Did you get any tracking detail?