Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Steve Potts B-Road

This project has been 4 years in the making from concept to frame set.

I am excited to have my first pictures and am expecting delivery within a week or so.

Backstory: Rode my first Almanzo 100 in 2012 after spending much of 2011 exploring the back roads of Southwestern Minnesota in the Minnesota River Valley and exploring Southeastern Minnesota through rides with Milltown Cycles out of Fairbault. I rode a Lynskey Cooper CX for my first Almanzo that year and although it was a great bike, the 80 miles (of 103 miles) of fresh 2 inch deep edge to edge pea gravel that year left me wanting for more volume in my rubber and a lower BB for stability. That is where this project started and why custom was the only way as it has been (seemingly) well discussed why there are no production low Q-factor Titanium frames that can also fit a 43c BG Rock-n-Road tire. I am not a big guy at 145lbs. and ride a fairly high cadence so the balance of stiffness and clearance is not a concern for me.

Pulled the trigger in my mind almost 2 years ago, but bad timing with Potts shop move and other factors delayed the start. Happy to be patient and happy to be nearing delivery!

Key Specifications for frame set:
- Titanium frame with clearance for 43c tires and a 42t large chainring on White Industries VBC Double Road Cranks with a 113mm BB
- Type II fork
- Post Mounted Paul Racers
- 135mm Rear Spacing
- 2 bottle cages
- pump peg

Eriksen Sweetpost and custom Potts stem to match!

Gearing up for my 5th Almanzo this year and am excited to have the Potts on the way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Potts1.jpg (33.5 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: jpg Potts2.jpg (16.2 KB, 1590 views)
File Type: jpg Potts3.jpg (33.1 KB, 1598 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

Incredible!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM

You're gonna love it. Road Q and huge 700c tires is a challenge with Ti. Actually is this 650b or 700c ?

I talked to Steve recently about this and another, similar frame, apparently he considers mine the granddaddy.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
You're gonna love it. Road Q and huge 700c tires is a challenge with Ti. Actually is this 650b or 700c ?

I talked to Steve recently about this and another, similar frame, apparently he considers mine the granddaddy.
Yes. Thought I was forgetting a key spec. 700c.

When we first discussed at NAHBS 2013 he was just starting to develop the Mini Type II that I believe you have. I am glad I waited though as it allowed me to think through some changes as I would have requested 130mm and Canti to start. Since that time I built up a Bedford Rando from this site for a good friend for his Boulder to Bozeman ride and fell in love with the post mount racer brakes. I also explored 135mm spacing for chain line and rear wheel strength considerations so when Steve recommended 135mm I was on board (even though I had a great 130mm wheelset already built for the project - the wheels found a good home in the stable)

Love your Potts ride donevwil and have been looking at your thread whenever I needed to remind myself of what was in the chute!

Could not be more excited...
Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM

I've actually got a narrowed, full size Type II (I'm 240lbs). Saw the road variant for the first time at NAHBS this year and it'll look perfect on your frame.

135mm was obviously a serious consideration for me, but wanting a road Q, 180 cranks, fat chainstays, clearance for 38s as well as wearing a size 50-wide shoe and running Campy made going 130 the most logical choice. No problems off-pavement so far as long as I stick with a well built 36h rear wheel.

Paul Racers Ms are magnificent so I imagine your Racers will be equally so.

I think I'll swing by Steve's shop on next Tuesdays ride and see if he's still working on your bike.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM

i was just thinking about how I should order a potts, Your bike sounds like its going to be very nice.

what color will the fork be?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
i was just thinking about how I should order a potts, Your bike sounds like its going to be very nice.

what color will the fork be?
Thank you.

Fork will be black. I tend to go for understated, although I sure do like the look of some of the Titanium match Type II forks I have seen JB paint. I considered a 2-tone Ti and Black look as well.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I've actually got a narrowed, full size Type II (I'm 240lbs). Saw the road variant for the first time at NAHBS this year and it'll look perfect on your frame.

135mm was obviously a serious consideration for me, but wanting a road Q, 180 cranks, fat chainstays, clearance for 38s as well as wearing a size 50-wide shoe and running Campy made going 130 the most logical choice. No problems off-pavement so far as long as I stick with a well built 36h rear wheel.

Paul Racers Ms are magnificent so I imagine your Racers will be equally so.

I think I'll swing by Steve's shop on next Tuesdays ride and see if he's still working on your bike.
Makes sense that you have the full size Type II, 44mm HT and tire-clearance/Q-balance you went with. At my size I can push the boundaries a little more.

I have been enjoying the center mount Racer M's on my Eriksen RCR but really do think the post mounts are a big improvement.

Great if you have the opportunity to check the frame out next week, although hopefully will be en route! Invoice received and making final payment today!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM

I look forward to seeing the frame and type II fork together!
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
Thank you.

Fork will be black. I tend to go for understated, although I sure do like the look of some of the Titanium match Type II forks I have seen JB paint. I considered a 2-tone Ti and Black look as well.
I think the black fork is the way to go on those. Excited to see the build.

Herse cranks would be sweet as well

or maybe Sugino OX901d

I have been riding with ever smaller big rings, I cant mash the gears any more anyways and it is nice to have gearing the enforces spinning. It is great that more and more cranks are available with "micro" compact ring options.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Is JB (I assume you mean Joe Bell) panting your fork ? Was that a special request ? Mine was painted locally, but I forget the painter's name.

Quote:
I have been enjoying the center mount Racer M's on my Eriksen RCR but really do think the post mounts are a big improvement.
Make sure you use THIS thread-in post mount brake stud from Paragon specifically designed for Paul brakes. It eliminates the bushing that comes with the brakes yielding a much more solid, play-free solution. I'm pretty sure this is what Steve will include as he uses Paragon pretty exclusively, but it's worth making sure when you receive the frame.

What drivetrain are you going to run behind the VBC, Shimano 11? I'm eager to hear how it plays with the VBC.

So no Ti anodize bling that Steve is now offering? I prefer the understated, old school black decals myself, but it's nice to see him now offer a few options.

Last edited by donevwil; 04-29-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I think the black fork is the way to go on those. Excited to see the build.

Herse cranks would be sweet as well

or maybe Sugino OX901d

I have been riding with ever smaller big rings, I cant mash the gears any more anyways and it is nice to have gearing the enforces spinning. It is great that more and more cranks are available with "micro" compact ring options.
I like the Herse, Sugino, TA and any quality cranks that can give me a good "micro" setup. I am a 9 speed guy and am always trying to center myself in 5th gear so I tune my "micro" setups to the bike, tires and terrain.

With that said and even with my distaste for proprietary spiders and splines, I have really settled in with the White Industries VBC Road cranks for so many applications both Road (34/46), Mountain (24/38) and in between. I only use the outer VBC rings and then use inner rings that allow me to recess my chainring bolts as they are limiters on stay clearance.

With a 118mm BB I can run them at a 50mm chain line and a 155mm Q-factor on my Moots Rogue YBB or run them with a 108-113mm BB for a 145-150mm Q-factor and tighter chain line.

I got used to running black cranks and not making my bikes too shiny so this one will get the stealth treatment to some extent as well. Some day (soon) I will start a project for all those polished parts I have been saving (TA Cranks and Pointy Gordons etc…)

Will post more pics as Steve sends or when I receive next week!
Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Is JB (I assume you mean Joe Bell) panting your fork ? Was that a special request ? Mine was painted locally, but I forget the painter's name.
I was referring to Joe Bell's work with paint matching titanium, however no special requests on my part for paint so whomever paints his forks black is doing mine.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Make sure you use THIS thread-in post mount brake stud from Paragon specifically designed for Paul brakes. It eliminates the bushing that comes with the brakes yielding a much more solid, play-free solution. I'm pretty sure this is what Steve will include as he uses Paragon pretty exclusively, but it's worth making sure when you receive the frame.
Thanks for the tip! Just sent Steve final payment and forwarded him this to verify. I know we did discuss using the new Paragon posts instead of the Paul ones that have been discontinued so I suspect that is what he is sending for thread in posts. Good to confirm.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
What drivetrain are you going to run behind the VBC, Shimano 11? I'm eager to hear how it plays with the VBC.

So no Ti anodize bling that Steve is now offering? I prefer the understated, old school black decals myself, but it's nice to see him now offer a few options.
I am a 9 speed guy. I actually bought out the last of White's stock of VBC chainrings when they switched over as the new ones were more optimized for 10 speed as I understand it. I liked the old black ones and the fact that they had not been redesigned yet.

Core of drivetrain:

NOS XTR M952 Medium Cage RD
NOS XTR M953 31.8 Bottom Pull FD

No Bling! Basic stickers. Even am going with the Classic Black King HS vs. the Sotto Voce I usually install.

Full build list coming soon