Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > The Showcase

Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 AM

Guipago out of NH

Bill Whitcher of Guipago Custom Cycles has been at it for a while. He is just now starting to gain some steam and is cranking out some beautiful bikes, in my home state of New Hampshire. Check him out.
http://www.guipagocycles.com/
Old 07-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Nice stuff
Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 PM

This is good stuff.

"THE HISTORY BEHIND THE NAME

Born around 1820, Lone Wolf was the chief of the Kiowa Indian Tribe. The Kiowa lived in what became Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado. Lone Wolf’s Indian name was “Guipago”. He was a leader among his tribe's militant minority during the U.S. Army's armed pacification in the 1860s and '70s, the period of violent domestication from nomadic to forced reservation life dictated by the federal government.

My Guipago

Now this is the history of my bike brand… For me, the story begins in 2011 when I purchased 3.78 acres of land in Hartsel, Colorado on Guipago Trail. At first I had no clue who or what Guipago was, only that I owned land on that particular trail, or “road”.

Three years later, I was continuing to work towards building my own custom steel frames, and I still had no idea what to call them. Then I went out to my land to camp for a few days and saw this old rusty sign that said “Guipago Trail”. It was nothing more than a dirt trail leading to my land at 9400 ft. elevation with 360 degree views that took my breath away. The name was chosen; “Guipago” Custom Cycles it will be.

Doing a little research on the name Guipago I found similarities with myself and Chief Guipago. First off, I own land on Guipago Trail. Secondly, Guipago means “Lone Wolf” and my call sign in Afghanistan was Wolf-33. A little more research revealed that Chief Guipago turned himself in to the US Army at Ft. Sill on February 26, 1875 and – guess what – my birthday is February 26. In October of 2008 my brother Scott and I were in Helmond Province, Afghanistan and as we were leaving the fire base, Scott got out of his gun-truck and walked back to me. He asked to trade one of our dog tags for good luck. On October 13, 2008, Scott’s patrol was ambushed and he was killed. When Chief Guipago died from sickness, guess where he was buried: Mount Scott."