Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
needs adult supervision

Every single thing about that bike is just right. I never thought I'd like a bike painted purple. Turns out I was right. Not like, I love how that paint looks. Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Love that colour scheme. Just a wonderful looking frameset. Enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Every single thing about that bike is just right. I never thought I'd like a bike painted purple. Turns out I was right. Not like, I love how that paint looks. Enjoy!

Yep, the proportions on that bike look perfect. I love it!

A matching old Dura Ace crrank would top it off. They must be available on the cheap out there in the wild?!?

I understand the grad school thing - when I finished (9yrs total), I somehow justified buying a ti Serotta It was a happy happy day for me, even though it didn't fit correctly in the end. It started me on the quest for properly fitting, beautifully constructed bikes.

ENJOY!!!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:29 AM

New(ish) photo, ride comments

[/URL]

(photo from today's route, but not today's ride--the leaves are long gone, and traces of snow along the roadside instead)

Just a quick note--it's so hard for me (as one not paid to describe the difference between frames/components/etc.) to put into words the differences between one frame and the other, but wanted to share a quick anecdote:

With the arrival of winter, I had gone back to riding my Cannondale (2007 CAAD9), figuring that the Yamaguchi's season was over. The main impression I had coming to the CAAD from the Yamaguchi was the sound it made going over rough road--I had never noticed the distinctive 'ping' of aluminum quite so much. That said, the CAAD is a very comfortable ride for me--many miles on this frame.

Today we were treated to one of the cold, clear, dry days that make Utah (where we live) weather so different from Michigan (where we used to live), so I pulled the Yamaguchi out for a trip up the hill. I was blown away by how different it felt after having been away for almost a month.

The Yamaguchi is quick--turn in sharp, change lines, carve your way down the hill--all effortless. This same responsiveness makes the bike very different descending--the bike handling really 'clicks' as the speed goes up.

I still can't convey it exactly, but I've been smiling ever since I clipped in this afternoon. Not bad at all for a 'Black Friday.'

(tl;dr--no new information, just a fellow enjoying a beautiful afternoon on a beautiful bike)

Last edited by exapkib; 12-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 AM

Gorgeous .....

Stunning bike
Cheers
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 AM

Great post. Many happy miles and smiles.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM

First ride without winter gloves. Glorious--such a change getting back on this frame after spending the wintry days exclusively on my dedicated commuter.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 PM

so nice!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM
chp.qa

Absolutely love that bike.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Awesome bike! It's cool that it has one of his straight blade forks, too. If I recall correctly he Yamaguchi introduced straight bladed forks to NJS track racing in Japan, and subsequently got them banned...

EDIT: None of that is true. It was Sakae that was banned for making stems that exploded or something. Got that story completely wrong...

Last edited by MySweetFixie; 02-12-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:21 AM

great bike! ride safe!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 PM

So awesome. He offers one of those frame building classes and i am very interested.. may be one day....
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM
Vendor

Love your bike! Every time I see a Yamaguchi I wish I could go back and work with him to learn more. He is such an interesting guy that seems so in tune with the bicycle and life in general. A pleasure to be around. I love looking at his work.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Great bike!

Gotta get you a new bottle cage or two, though, bro. That thing is asking for a King stainless or something like that.

The quick handling you describe reminds me of a Look 481 I used to own. It had a trail of 52mm and a shortish front-center for the 59 size frame compared to others I've had. It was like a race car, in that it didn't start to feel right until you got over 20-25 mph (well, for the race car, it would be more like 120...). Personally, it was too quick-handling for me, but it could be a hoot to ride, too.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech151 View Post
Love your bike! Every time I see a Yamaguchi I wish I could go back and work with him to learn more. He is such an interesting guy that seems so in tune with the bicycle and life in general. A pleasure to be around. I love looking at his work.
Not to hijack, but here is the Yin to this threads Yang...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ight=yamaguchi

White over Purple
Purple over White

Both very sweet!

William