Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Marketplace > Vendors

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM

Eric, can you tell us more about the cx speed spokes you mention in your blog? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:07 PM
ergottWheels

CX-Speed spokes are made by forging a Sapim Race spokes into a similar profile to the CX-Ray. The CX-Ray is forged from a Sapim Laser spoke.

It's like building with round spokes and using a DT Revolution/Sapim Laser spokes on the left side and DT Competition/Sapim Race spokes on the right side. The spokes stiffen up the rear wheel and make it more durable than using all CX-Rays.

It's a exclusive feature I do on my Signature builds.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
CX-Speed spokes are made by forging a Sapim Race spokes into a similar profile to the CX-Ray. The CX-Ray is forged from a Sapim Laser spoke.

It's like building with round spokes and using a DT Revolution/Sapim Laser spokes on the left side and DT Competition/Sapim Race spokes on the right side. The spokes stiffen up the rear wheel and make it more durable than using all CX-Rays.

It's a exclusive feature I do on my Signature builds.

Do the CX spokes allow more tension than round? Does that mitigate the effects of the the wider 11 speed free hub?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 AM
ergottWheels

All spokes can handle a lot more tension than rims/hubs. The concept of heavier gauge spokes on the drive side isn't new, but the choices available for bladed spokes is extremely small. You usually have to slot the hubs. A heavier gauge spoke makes the wheel laterally stiffer and helps out with the spacing. The Alchemy hub still has the best spacing for both 11 speed systems.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM
ergottWheels

Here's a writeup on the new Alchemy UL rear hub. I truly think it's a game changer.

http://ergottwheels.blogspot.com/201...eper-look.html
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here's a writeup on the new Alchemy UL rear hub. I truly think it's a game changer.

nice.

good spoke hold choices too.

so i guess, in your opinion: there's really no reason to choose kingR45 over these for similar $ huh?
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
nice.

good spoke hold choices too.

so i guess, in your opinion: there's really no reason to choose kingR45 over these for similar $ huh?
I like CK hubs, but the Alchemy hubs will build up stronger. The price is almost the same. If ultimate performance (bearing friction, lateral stiffness) isn't essential, you still get an excellent set of wheels with the R45s. You also get more color choices.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM

How's availability on the Alchemy UL hubs?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
ergottWheels

I've been getting batches of them in. I've done a bunch of builds already and have half a dozen pairs here to build up. They are all spoken for. I don't keep general stock because of the options I offer. It's cost prohibitive.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 AM

edit

Quote:
Campy version?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM
snowcrash19

Quote:

Can you explain more of the bearing placement? It seems very similar to the American Classic design. What is the axle diameter?

The ability to ride without a freehub body, not sure how that is useful? Interesting point but seems odd.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:40 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
edit

Campy version?
From Alchemy,

We have decided to delay the release of a Campy specific hub. However, there is a viable option. I recently tested the use of a Shimano 11sp cassette with a Campy drive train and I discovered that, by using three micro shims placed roughly equally throughout the stack, a Shimano 11sp stack will shift perfectly with a Campy drive train.

Currently, the ORC-UL is available in S10 and S11 versions. To address the needs of Campy users, I am now offering a modified version of the S11 that will include spacers for Campy 11. The modified S11 hub (O-UL-SC-11) will include the spacers and instructions on where to place them in the Shimano 11sp stack to achieve perfect shifting with a C11 drive train. I have tested this and the shifting is excellent.

At this time, we do not have a target release date for a Campy specific hub.

I have done a similar setup with Campagnolo 10 on Shimano 10 hubs. Worked under race conditions perfectly. Did 6hr mountain bike race like that with lots of shifts and many under pressure. I feel confident in this solution and will be doing the same shortly with 11 speed.

There are a couple of benefits. One hub can go across all platforms with no modifications or redishing. Just swap the cassette/spacers. Once they are in place you don't have to think about them. Another benefit is Shimano cassettes usually cost less. With Ultegra 11 around the corner you can realy save some money and get a good cassette and shifting performance.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash19 View Post
Can you explain more of the bearing placement? It seems very similar to the American Classic design. What is the axle diameter?

The ability to ride without a freehub body, not sure how that is useful? Interesting point but seems odd.
It' nothing like American Classics. The bearing on the left is even further out.

I elaborated on the other reasons here.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/whe...es-303195.html
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Eric,

I need a rear carbon 29er SS wheel for my Primus Mootry, Please let me know your thoughts via PM.

Thanks,

Jack