Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 11-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Classics Fan

I've given up on 'professional fitters'. have had 3 fits. They're all over the map. It is not an objective pursuit, it is informed by a fitter's own beliefs, history and knowledge (or lack there of) of how to deal with certain things.

Ed, I think you're one of the good guys who actually rides with your client out on the road. Most just do it on a stationary trainer and follow a formula.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I've given up on 'professional fitters'. have had 3 fits. They're all over the map. It is not an objective pursuit, it is informed by a fitter's own beliefs, history and knowledge (or lack there of) of how to deal with certain things.
Given the quality control problems with the human body (no two are the same), the best a fitter can do given say two hours and a bike on a trainer is to apply a bunch of formulas and come out with a position. That's why I say bike fitting sucks. Given what I'm given, I'm never going to be able to fit anyone well, if I'm lucky I'll get them in the ball park. The thing is, I want to do better, and I'm more than happy to spend the time to make the process better - it involves riding my bike, I do that anyway. But for every fitter who wants to ride with their clients to get a better understanding of what's working and what's not, I can show you 100 websites that say "we can fit you perfectly in two hours and $350"

What Matt needs isn't a fitter, he needs a fitting consultant. The start to finish fitting doesn't really work - that's a general statement. Matt is always trying different things, looking for performance or just a better understanding, which has pointed out that the start to finish fitting doesn't work. The saving grace for most fit studios is that most people will never figure this out. Back to Matt's case, I'm sure he's tried something that has put him outside of his own range of motion, and found it didn't work. A fitting consultant would have eliminated the experiments that couldn't have worked, and in general, pointed him in the right direction.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 PM

The professional fit I had a couple months ago accomplished a few things for me that were worth the $275:

1. PT assessment of off-bike movement - what's tight, what's tilting, how do my feet sit and my legs move - gave me some good things to work on around glute engagement and other muscle imbalances

2) let me see what a "closed hip angle" is and why I don't want a massive drop - moderate is just fine (I'm 6'4" and pretty flexible)

3) got my cleats in a good place

4) let me see I actually have a pretty fluid pedaling motion and neutral heel

5) gave me measurements I could translate to my next bike as a good starting place

I did go out 1cm on my stem once I got out in the real world, but other than that, things are good.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

I did go out 1cm on my stem once I got out in the real world
Pretty common when moving from trainer to real conditions. It's hard to convince people on a trainer to go with the less comfortable option, but then again isn't this whole thread about how fitting on trainers sucks?
Old 03-08-2017, 05:50 PM

I disagree. I have had a lot of fits. 95% of fitters suck. Zero actual formal or real applied training in physical therapy or kinesiology. IMO both are essential for diagnosing the root cause of fit-related issues and modifying a fit. From there most of the standards and formulas are closer than people give them credit for. The key is knowing why something is happening in the chain and where to best solve it.

My last fitter was able to diagnose a minor wiggle at the top of my pedal stroke to the t. X-rays confirmed his diagnosis. When I did some basic research on the topic, everything I found indicated that his tests were pretty standard for someone who is trained to identify such a problem. None of the fit schools can responsibly do that. From there he also had some experience or insight as how to modify accordingly. Without that knowledge it's guess work. His only drawback is his high cost, but he makes a living fitting pros and lecturing so the standard token rates most shops charge wouldn't make sense.